Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Did Ilitch buy the Eddystone? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 17, 2007Jt130 10-17-07  11:33 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx jt1. i knew some work had already been done on it (selective demo and installation of new steel), but i wasn't sure if it was underway or not. [coincidentally i recently had some interaction with the rebuilding of that structure; that's how i knew.]

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit life gets tax credit:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/U PDATE/710170438/1361

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 965
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...Last time I was there this was not the case, granted, it was when Slumpy was leveled. But there was still the building fronting on John R. AND the one fronting on Watson. That was two.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

RSA - The work has already started. It is gutted down to the shell.

I'm trying to picture this building but can't. Was it included in the apartment ruins tour?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh... I see. I was actually thinking of another one next to the Lamar about half a block away from that one. Glad to see this one getting some TLC. The last time I saw it the inside was a wreck and the whole thing seemed like a prime candidate for razing.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the one I was thinking about.

http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/2006/02-FabulousApartmentRuins/206.htm

(Message edited by E_hemingway on October 25, 2007)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is one sHell of a building, more power to him

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:08 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Duh! You're getting information from anonymous people on an online forum... so why are you making a big deal about where this specific info came from?

Prior information I got from this same source...

1) That Marion Ilitch was going to buy out the MotorCity co-owners... got this tip 3 days before it was announced.

2) That Mike Ilitch was going to take over the bookings for Masonic... got this tip 2 days before it was announced.

3) That Mike Ilitch was buying up land in Midtown... again found this out earlier than this forum did."

Good info, Gistok.

An Ilitch source is a good source to have.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On related topic, I drove by CC Bar yesterday...there were 6 or 7 guys working in it, stacks of lumber all over, and some construction vehicles in use...they've made a lot of progress on the structure...

I really thought the owner was just holding out to drive up the price for a sale to Ilitch, but it appears he may actually being doing something...

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilitch bought the Eddystone?! He owns almost all of Detroit! (LOL)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one has any idea or news on what they are actually building back up?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they first started working on it, one of the workers told me it was going to be a bar.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5575
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark my words... the moment Mike Ilitch announces an arena in Midtown (hypothetically speaking) all building activity on this building will stop...

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been over 3 days and no one has come close to verifying your original claim.

Gistok

Post Number: 5580
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
My my my don't we sound smug... go look up the word "rumor" in your dictionary...

Emu_steve

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok:

Where exactly in Midtown would you guess?

Would parking be in Midtown or behind the Fox?

What would he do with his land acquisition behind the Fox?

Just curious how you envision this playing out.

Thanks,

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 535
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu_steve
so what is happening in midtown genius?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2,

I'm asking Gistok, his hunches or scenario.

I do wish someone could provide info about land that Ilitch might have acquired in Midtown.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11711
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too drove by the CC bar the other day, first time in a few months. I was shocked to see how much it had changed. Looks like their plans have really grown, and a much larger establishment is in the works. At they pace they are going at now, one could safely assume that they are shooting for an opening day opening next season.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but if Ilitch doesn't build (a new arena) behind the Fox will they come (to the CC bar)?

That bar would be in the middle of nowhere.

I'll repeat what I've posted before:

IF a hockey arena is not built behind the Fox (or Midtown) there will be MANY losers in this saga.

Gistok

Post Number: 5584
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu_steve, if Ilitch did build a new arena directly north of the Fisher Fwy., I could see him building some huge parking structure(s) around the CC Bar area to further isolate it from any other entertainments.

If the CC Bar owner blocks his attempt at a west Foxtown arena, then I'm sure Ilitch is gonna get the last laugh... probably by making sure that no parking structure entrances/exits are anywhere near that bar.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4276
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What goes around comes around...

I mentioned this some months back, so here it is again. One of my very knowledgeable little birdies told me back then that the new hockey arena was going in north of Fisher and that a massive parking structure with ground retail / dining would be built on the Donovan / Sanders site corner to service all of Ilitch's empire - Fox - baseball - hockey. He still holds to this belief when I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago.

The main impediment at that time was the taxi company who was holding out for some ridiculous amount, something north of $7 million.

This makes a lot of sense a there is plenty of room there, with or without the Eddystone. Land assembly is easier and mostly cleared already, vs the vagaries of the 'behind the Fox' plots which would remain as parking lots while the speculators cry in their beer. The better grander visibility of an on-Woodward arena is an incentive too.

Add to that his roving eyes on Masonic. Parking surrounding a 'north of Fisher' site could benefit from that venue and opportunities to move on land between those points if needed, mostly dead zone going-nowhere slum apartments, could be more easily obtained than parcels south of the freeway.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gistok and Lowell.

Excellent posts.

There might be as much wisdom in your two posts as there are in many hockey arena threads.

My only other comment is that I've always hoped that whatever happens is best for Detroit and I hope that all concerned parties will look beyond $ and realizes how important this is to Detroit.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the blocks of the Donovan/Sanders site?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else find it disconcerting that Ilitch is taking a huge chunk of downtown, and creating a district that will see little use outside of nighttime hours? IMO, this isn't much different than the typical suburban segregation of land uses.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than 40 acres of gravel parking lots adjacent to the city's main drag.

Redevelopment needs to start somewhere.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"Does anyone else find it disconcerting that Ilitch is taking a huge chunk of downtown, and creating a district that will see little use outside of nighttime hours? IMO, this isn't much different than the typical suburban segregation of land uses."

This is my reading of the tea leaves.

Ilitch is trying to do the parcel assembly without the benefit of eminent domain and it ain't pretty.

I think Gistok, Lowell and I are all saying that Ilitch tried to do the parcel assembly behind the Fox and hit roadblocks.

Now he is trying to do parcel assembly north of 75.

The problem, as I see it, is if he fails to assemble what he needs behind the Fox but ultimately does assemble the land he needs north of 75 what does he do with the land behind the Fox????

Gistok

Post Number: 5585
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Donovan and Sanders buildings were the 2 buildings at the NW corner of Woodward & Fisher Service Drive. The Donovan Building was the Motown HQ from 1969-72. Both buildings were demolished about 2 years ago.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for the new hockey stadium to go up behind the FOX.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gistok.

As a Tig fan, I'm familiar with that site. I just didn't know it by name.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 489
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might note that these posts show the value of eminent domain for big development and the problems which can occur without it.

Danindc I'm sure would agree that there would have been a ZERO percent chance of building the Washington Nationals new stadium at its location without eminent domain.

Not only did parcel owners fight the amount of compensation they were given, but they also had fought eminent domain hard in court (eventually lost).

This was a case where the owners of those parcels didn't want to sell even for 'all the tea in China'.

This wasn't a ploy for more money. They wanted to run their businesses (sex clubs) and knew that if they lost the eminent domain suit they would not have been able (legally) to open a block of such clubs. That has proven true. I don't believe any of the clubs have been able to reopen.

(Message edited by emu_steve on October 28, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Might note that these posts show the value of eminent domain for big development and the problems which can occur without it.

Like this example in China?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't beat Chinese problem solving.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4278
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha! Wow^ what a shot!. How do you keep coming up with these Hornwrecker? I guess the guy above forgot that he didn't own the right of way to his hold-out property.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember someone posting that photo in another forum where I hang out, so I did an image search.

Here's a link to an interview with the woman who owns the building.

Eminent Domain in China

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.