Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Why does the Freep continue to pay this woman... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when she so obviously has nothing to say???

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071009/COL 02/710090303/1081

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree, reading that column was pretty much a complete waste of time.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! I knew it was her before I checked the link. I stopped reading her columns years ago. Any chance they could replace her with "reruns" of Bob Talbert's column?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was drinking? Her or the editor?

I liked her columns about everyday people around the State though.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He sat shirtless. I recognized the man I met 27 years ago." ....."we'll see a friend from the East Coast & his 7-year-old son, the surprise blessing of his brief, shattered marriage."

OMG...this sounds like a sappy romance novel. Saccharin and about an 1/8 of an inch deep.

We are not at war. Men and woman are not dying. All SUSAN AGER can focus on is the semi naked man she married 27 years ago.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I dunno, I kind of like her writings. As Detroitplanner notes, her columns on her travels throughout the state were pleasant reading.

Maybe it's just nice to get away from all the wartime, bang-bang shoot-em-up, going-to-jail news. And that's just the sports page....

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meh, i liked it...

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's column was groanworthy, but she's had good columns in the past. She's smart enough to talk about herself and not just generalize about the world situation. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

She's miles above Mitch Albom and the News's tag team of Laura Berman (Let me tell you about my wonderful Jewish friends in Huntington Woods!) and Marney Rich Keenan (Let me tell you about my wonderful Catholic friends in Bloomfield Hills!).

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if I'm seeing cynicism, or just phony bullshit, in some of these comments. The woman writes what I call "slice of life" columns. I'm not for, or against, such columns, but some folks enjoy them. I, also, enjoyed her articles about the people she encountered during her trips up and down our state's blue highways. Whatever.
I wonder if the facts that we are at war, and that people are dying, cause Dhugger to suspend, or cancel, all parts of life that are not directly related to misery, violence, and death. If this time of national crisis is of such paramount importance that recognition, and consideration, of it should eclipse all else, even the tiniest of life's pleasures, then what is Dhugger doing, jacking around on DetroitYes, when that time could be better spent sitting in a corner and scowling over the turmoil in Iraq?
And, oh yeah, doesn't letting all that stuff spoil, and impede our enjoyment of, Normal Everyday American Life mean that the Dreaded Terrorists have won?

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine: perhaps you are correct in observing that I am taking out my disappointment regarding the war on Susan Ager. When I should really direct my anger towards the current administration who told the nation to go out shopping to help the war effort.

By the way I was at the first march on Washington against the war, regularly attend Women in Black demonstrations and will be in the upcoming rally on, October 27th, in Chicago.

Ravine

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger, I sincerely salute your pro-active way of expressing your anguish regarding the war. And yes, leave Susan Ager out of it. She's merely doing her small part to share her enjoyment of some of the parts of America that are still worth celebrating.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL-- It has nothing to do with the war. It has to do with her kids, her siblings, her husband's siblings, her grandchild, her dear old uncle, her nephews, her friend on the east coast, her dad and his partner... am I leaving anyone out? God, I hope not.

I'll get plenty of that fine reading at Christmas when I wade through the family letters. Does Susan Ager want to hear about all of my relatives? I doubt it. They're just as boring as hers.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like same person who writes the notes in fortune cookies.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why ya'll hatin cuz she gettin paid?

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why ya'll hatin cuz she gettin paid?"

I think you meant to post this in the Kwame thread

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst is that she had to drag poor Yeats into her mess. I am sure he would have been thrilled to be included in such eloquence.........

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's ok in my book.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like her column. Both she and her husband are two of the nicest people I have ever met.

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, she does not contribute positively to the content of the Free Press. The space could be better utilized.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn the page and read something else.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what "journalism" is these days: Petty ruminations about lifestyle and passing benchmarks in life. Piffle.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10463
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here columns would be worth something if I had a pet.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the column. Of course, I'm stoked to the gills on Prozac and Thorazine.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with the amount of loudmouth know it alls out there, I'm happy to see someone reinforce the grandeur of simple things in life. I certainly don't see that on reality tv and all the wealth plastered on tv.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that column and it put me in a pissed off mood.

Cris, I agree. To me that stuff she's writing amounts to no more than bragging. She seems so smug, "Look at me and how wonderful my life and family are! Don't you wish you could be more like us?" Barf, puke, vomit.

Fury 13. You cracked me up.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like a lot of her work - and yes, sometimes it's overly sweet, I agree. What's so wrong about writing positively about your family and simple contentment? Maybe some of you are a little jealous that she has a family she enjoys?

Twelve years ago Susan Ager wrote a feature story on my mom and dad (dad had Alzheimers, mom was coping by re-reading his 600 love letters from 45+ years ago). I will always be grateful for that article - two months later my father passed away, and it helped my mom cope with losing him (for the final time). JMO

Alsodave

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynknight,

Very touching--thank you for sharing that with us.

Dave

Alsodave

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I just read the column. It wasn't so bad. :-)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't even read the FREEP anymore. It is a horrible paper. I think the NEWS is much better.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only reason my parents got the freep because it was delivered in the morning. she always bitched about it in the 70's

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10689
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of her most poignant stuff was in the months after 9/11.

Anyone who has to write on deadline, with story lines that are NOT always her own...nah, she's a pro and good at what she does. She was encouraged to do that drive around state, and had trepidation about it until after probably the second or third stop on her first trip.

I don't think anyone was prepared for how good and popular that whole endeavor turned out to be...and she was perfect for it.

Thought about her driving across the UP today...one of her visits was to Old Dapper Dan, a hermit who lives in the woods west of Grand Marais. I met the fellow back in '97 or so when I stayed in a friend's cabin...who happens to live next door!

Matter of fact, he mentioned in his interview his 'favorite book', the Bible. I'd bet big money that he still uses the one I bought and sent up to him...I've got to go search him out the next time I'm up there.

Susan might publish some stuff that rubs you the wrong way...but like certain posters here, her copy can be skimmed or even skipped easily.

I wasn't particularly tickled over the colonoscopy retentiveness a few years back, but that article alone increased awareness and changed the posture of many women towards having the procedure...from the feedback she got afterwards.

Nah, I adore Susan Ager. The Freep would do well to keep her around, if ONLY to piss off those who don't want to believe they're merely human.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but, the again what would a reporter be without a few being pissed off at then, Nothing!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6069
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tolerate her stuff a heckuva lot more than I can Mitch Albom's.

It's at least somewhat real and from the heart compared to Mitch's recollection of MSU basketball players and their sightings.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2885
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So lame, so featherweight, so inane.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6070
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But still truthful compared to Mitch.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not that susan ager writes overly sweet sappy stuff. its just that she's demonstrated a knack for consistently writing poorly.

"Let me dare jinxing this moment.

It began as we puttered into the harbor at dusk after an hour's sail in a warm south wind. We put up only the jib. It was enough."

this stuff would not get a C+ from any of my english professors at wayne state. i think slice of life columns are a breath of optimistic fresh air every so often. but this woman does not know how to write. i can only imagine on how out-of-towners reflect on detroit/michigan culture if news articles like these were their only exposure to detroit media.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4219
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While is more the stuff of a blog than a paper, I found it inoffensive, technically well written and sincere.

Yeah there is a little escapism in it and a bit on the sweet side, but none of us can pound on the world's problems non stop. It doesn't hurt to step aside for a minute, have a glass of wine, laugh a little and count our blessings.

I say thumbs up.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvetta is the number one selling cheese in America for a reason, and it isn't because it is good cheese.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like reading Susan's column. Sure, not every musing of hers is life-changing, but her overall work is good. Part of the appeal is that she's a Polish girl from Detroit, and she deeply understands the Polish/Catholic/Family sensibility and has often written about it - something that resinates with many metro Detroiters. So, she's OK in my book...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never read her columns. I think they are a waste of time and it irritates me that she was able to get such a sweet deal as to be paid for writing about breakfasts at the bakery in her little town somewhere Up North. Does the Freep even have distribution outlets up there any more? If the Free Press doesn't see Up North as a viable reader market - why should the paper give up space to Susan's Up North musings. Very boring. And I'm also personally annoyed by her obvious pro-abortion and anti-Catholic agendas - so I just don't read her. And I've read too many of her no-Christmas gifts columns - and I'm someone who basically agrees! Enough. Give us some incisive news commentary.

Also, the News should get rid of Marni Rich Keenan - absolute drivel. Susan Berman - more of the same. Are these women some peace offerings to attract women readers? Is it working?

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a woman and Keenan & Ager both get on my nerves too when they ramble on about their personal lives. I do however like when they write about others that are newsworthy

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Susan Ager too. And I am so surprised that
so many of you actually read the newspaper - and
watch mundane TV (previous blog) I was under the impression that you sat at the keyboard day and night to express your inane opinions

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a big fan of Susan's even though I don't always agree with her. Many things she writes about (aside from this article) are things I can closely relate to like her mother suffering a horrid cancer just after I had lost mine. I'm not sure I ever saw an anti-abortion column from her and, though she was raised Catholic as most of us Poles were, I don't think she pushes that too much either.

As many of you intoned, we're so used to being bombarded by bad news - the War, shootings in detroit, children dying - that it's somewhat calming to read about normal people who are leading normal lives.

Ravine

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to chime in, again-- as though anybody gives a damn about my chiming-- I have to say that I think Susan Ager received a tough, but fair, review here. Those of you who gave her columns a thumbs-down were, pretty much, just being honest & straightforward about your reasons. Bravo to that; too often, here on DY, we (I do it, too) go 'way overboard with our criticisms, get personal about it, and dish out hostility & insults that are, well, excessive?
I actually believe that Ager could read this thread, appreciate the broad-view input, and not have hurt feelings.
Nice job, gang.
I defended her columns, earlier, because I found some of the criticism to be over-the-top, but the fact is that I, too, find her columns to be just a bit too warm & fuzzy, but I feel that way about a lot of things, so I figure that my having that reaction doesn't mean much.
The column that I really enjoy is Barbara Wallraff's "Word Court," which shows up (on an irregular basis) in the Life section of the Sunday Free Press. Heaven for Language Geeks.
A very talented Free Press writer is Jo Ann Barnas, who writes for the Sports section, but doesn't get the plum assignments because, whatever the specific area, there is usually someone ahead of her in the pecking order.
And oh yeah, fuck Mitch Albom, the little bullshitter.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6078
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely put Ravine. I think any writer is open for criticism of their work if it's fair and honest. I'm sure if she were to read the truly honest ones, she'd even be thankful for the input. Anyone in a creative field should be open to good criticism and be able to take something away from it. Mean spirited criticisms for the sake of just being mean have no merit and only speak of the person spewing the venom.

And yes I agree with you about Mitch. I refuse to read his stuff anymore. His credibility as a journalist with me has been shot already. He should just stick with his books and such. To be associated with the Freep only lowers the standards of the paper.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant pro-abortion (I need an editor)!

Ravine

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only do I think Mitch Albom is a bullshitter, I find his writing style to be annoying. He likes to use one-sentence paragraphs.
Like this.
I suppose that he thinks it adds emphasis.
It's crude and stupid.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.