Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What's Right with These Pictures - Alternative Economies for Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4213
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biking threads and businesses got me thinking and after becoming a fudgie this past weekend for the first time in about 15 years, more thoughts were triggered.

Every year, around the first of June, the mucka-dee-muck powers-that-be of Michigan gather at the Detroit Area Chamber of Commerce's Mackinac Summit to wring their hands over the state's present and future woes -- a giant bi-partisan huddle of everybody who is anybody gathering in search of answers brought on by the demise of the automobile pot of gold.

While pedaling around, I got to pondering. What part of this don't they get? Right under their nose is a thriving, indeed booming, economy without a car in sight.

mackinac island

mackinac island

In fact it is prospering in part because there are no cars. Almost all of them must have taken mass transit, the ferries, to get there then moved about by foot, bike or horse taxi to their accommodations and parties. And they have a blast. So what are they [we] missing?

Sure Mackinaw City parking lots are jammed with their cars and, sure, Mackinac Island is a visitation point, but somewhere, somehow there must be some nuggets of truth laying there in plain sight before their eyes.

What happens when the automobile is made secondary, or even unnecessary, and surrenders its almighty right of way?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What??? Don't you listen to what they talk about?

Every year they agree... "its we have to get our act together about transit!" :-)

I have always questioned why the Regional Chamber held this out of the region. It seemed silly when there are so many good venues to hold it at around here, and most folks would be able to stay at home and save $400 a night.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Mackinaw Island is suffering the same slowdown that we're seeing in South East Michigan.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what would be interesting is if the conference was held in a structure somewhere along Woodward...say in Highland Park overlooking the most desolate, traffic-ridden, and broken section of the thoroughfare. Or better yet, have it in the same type of environment in a suburb to show no bias regarding transit.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only when you tear the steering wheel of my SUV from my clammy, dead hands...........

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The topics, problems and resolutions have all been decided well before a conference. The conference part is where they all get to socialize and show off the results of the work. The idea is that getting into a more casual setting allows for new ideas; however, the content is scheduled around existing ideas.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for putting the mucka-dee-mucks up in the hotels in Highland Park.

Then take all their cars away so they can use the bus system.
How's that going to work for them?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, L. Brooks has his own private Dial-A-Ride for those tipsy events. I'm sure he'll have one reserved for his stay at the Townsend after putting in his two cents (literally) at the conference.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

While pedaling around, I got to pondering. What part of this don't they get? Right under their nose is a thriving, indeed booming, economy without a car in sight.

Yes, based entirely on good-weather tourism. Your point is taken, but the comparison is invalid.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOCUS: New York has it, Boston has it...and they are not known for fabulous weather every month of the year.

I know the 'mass transit' issue has been beat to death on other threads. So I will let it rest now.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if people had to pay for mass transit "At Cost" there would not be many riders. It would be too expensive.

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to think that one of the useful parts of being a member of society, is the society helping people in need.

A society can agree that, in addition to human rights or other ethereal things, some material conditions, like food, water, shelter, and yes, transportation, should be a shared expense, since everybody needs at least a basic level of these things.

Mass transit falls into this category of an-expense-to-be-shared-by-all in some societies because a society may recognize that it's in their best interest to allow people to move around more economically. It seems like a shoe-in in SE MI, but the free-market Ayn Rand style thinking of pulling-ones'-self-by-the-boot straps is an easy cop-out of coming up with viable solutions to our problems.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lefty2, don't forget that the roads you drive on are paid for with taxes... as are the police used for rushing to auto accidents... all transport is subsidized... it's just that mass transit is progressive and auto transit is regressive... not everyone can own a car, but even a bum can occasionally pony up 50 cents or a dollar or two to go somewhere...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot, the friggin' ferries are up to what, $21 a trip now?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's post reminded me of a presentation I saw long time ago that asked, "Why do we build one type of a community (showed a photo of sprawl) yet prefer vacationing in another (showed a European marketplace)?"

And similarly, I saw a Riverwalk presentation that said something like, "Imagine the place that gets you where you want to go is also a place you want to be."

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinac Island is a space-limited and non-industrialized community, where as southeast Michigan is an ever expanding, intensely developed community. What, again, are the similarities that would lead to a comparison - besides both being in Michigan?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 796
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben, good way of explaining that.

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a strong innate desire to experience a lifestyle like this. People flock to places like Mackinac, Disneyland's Main Street, New Orleans, "old towns "across the county, and even Greektown to experience urban street life. Yet somehow they refuse to make the connection that it would be possible to routinely live more like this if the private automobile were not put at the center of their universe. There is an axiom that seems quite true to me that the desirability of a city is in direct inverse proportion to it's accommodation of cars.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4224
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^" There is an axiom that seems quite true to me that the desirability of a city is in direct inverse proportion to it's accommodation of cars."

Great point Expat. When I think of some examples of this, the Stoget in Copenhagen, Koenigstrasse in Stuttgart [and auto city!], almost all of Amsterdam and Venice, and the old colonial center of Guadalajara, one sees the most booming and vibrant sections of those cities.

I think Detroit could do something similar by starting with the creation of an uninterrupted pedestrian walkway from Fox Town to Renaissance Center. With a couple of bridges or tunnels it could be possible and would be a huge hit. ONce these get established they tend to branch out from there.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Detroit could do something similar by starting with the creation of an uninterrupted pedestrian walkway from Fox Town to Renaissance Center. With a couple of bridges or tunnels it could be possible and would be a huge hit. ONce these get established they tend to branch out from there.

Though I agree with the premise of your original post Lowell, I think this is a horrible idea. Why don't we give space on the streets back to pedestrians (as many recent street improvements and campus martius have done)? Creating a separate, new city for pedestrians is like the separate but equal theory. Separate is not equal.

Check out these 2 NYC based groups:

http://www.transalt.org/
http://www.streetsblog.org/

And this national one:

http://www.pps.org/

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmyers, aside from Campus Martius, what recent street improvements have given space back to peds?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.