Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fort Wayne Hospital. Then and Now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of yesterday the hospital building at Fort Wayne is no longer.

Demolition was conducted yesterday and the entire building has been reduced.

Talking further with Detroit Historical Society staff, this demolition contract had been open for about 15 years. It was finally acted upon, obviously, yesterday. So losing this building was not a sudden decision, however, it is sad never the less.

Sorry to be the bearer of the news. However, I just wanted to keep all of you in the loop.

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee – Secretary
www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting this. I try to visit whenever I'm in town and I got a nice tour the last time I was through. My Dad, and three of his brothers were processed prior to entering the military through this hospital in the 1960s.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very sad for me. I think that anytime we lose a historical building like this, we lose a little bit of our past. I have been to forts in other major cities (New Orleans, Baltimore) and have seen how they have been maintained and opened as visitor attractions so the youth of our country can learn by seeing and walking the forts. My grandchildren have been to Fort Wayne and have been very interested in learning more.

As I have said before, I applaud those of you who are working to keep this historical gem alive. If I were in better physical condition, I would be there right beside you. If I was a wealthy person, you would have more money to work with.

Keep up the good work!

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Blueidone for the confidence!

We, the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition, are doing our very best to make sure that this doesn't have to happen to any other structures at the Fort.

We have recently submitted our 501(3)c (non-profit organization) application and are anxiously awaiting approval. Then, at least we can start petitioning for financial assistance with the tax deductible incentive.

I admit, it can be frustrating working at the Fort. But it is the best work that I have ever done.

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee - Secretary
www.historicfortwaynecoalition .com

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will post some new<er> site photos of the ex-hospital grounds for all to see this weekend.

From what I understand, the demo should be completed already.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last night. The hospital is now, sadly, just a pile of rubble and dirt. It is completely down.

PlymouthRes

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.