Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Marathon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The October 21st marathon date is coming up quick. Any forumers running it this year? (I look forward to spectating once again.<wimper>) http://www.detroitmarathon.com

And on a related topic, the Frazz comic strip is written by Jef Mallett out of Lansing. Today's strip is about the "Motor City" marathon. It looks like it'll be a continuing theme. It's on-line at http://www.comics.com/comics/f razz/archive/frazz-20071010.ht ml

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10678
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still haven't registered...and it will cost an additional $25 after the seventeenth.

NOT ready, but I've run one on seven days training in seven months...and had my personal best finish time AND the shortest and most pleasurable recovery...so I'm not afraid.

It will be my tenth one here...just another long jog with a group of very cool people.

There are NO assholes in the middle and back of the pack...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am running..well...errr.. doing a relay with a team and I'm running 3 miles

Gannon

Post Number: 10681
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea what leg, Kid?

Y'all don't know it, but relayers are basically pacers for those of us who don't care to look at clocks.

Fun to try to keep up with for a while, but ultimately way too fast for those of us pulling up the rear...or dragging our own.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 979
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the best leg of the run?

Also, what is it like running across the bridge or through the tunnel?

(Message edited by upinottawa on October 10, 2007)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is the best leg of the run?

For me, it's the right leg. :-)

Running over the bridge near sunrise is tough to beat. It's a longer climb than one might imagine since you're used to doing it in a motor vehicle. However, I found it very inspiring.

There are other great segments, but you can run those at any time.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure yet..shhould know by this weekend

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, running over the bridge was incredible, actually the whole Canadian part and return through the tunnel was spectacular!

Gannon

Post Number: 10683
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might depend on YOUR abilities, Up.

Some relays need their strongest at the start, to give some breathing room for the later runners...some want the strength at the end to make up for what the earlier ones might not have accomplished.

The absolute best part of the run, before the finish line of course, for anyone who needs encouragement, is the Detroit end of the tunnel.

That gauntlet of cheers never ceases to tickle my spiritual core, and actually makes the body lighter for a few miles. I've been known to sprint through that totally tubular underwater mile, just to get to the other side for the love-washing.

But yeah, I love both the Bridge and Belle Isle, too...and the start...and Corktown, Mexicantown, Rivertown, Indian Village (special props to those who have their driveways blocked for six hours and more that day!), Lafayette Park...and pretty much every pebble, broken glass, and ghetto kite flying around, too.

Cheers, see y'all in a few weeks.

I'll be looking like this, only with six month's growth of hair and a multi-colored beard:

Meliss/Mainegal's pic of me from a few years back

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely don't run, but I am creating some signage for the event. Good luck to you crazies.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The run over the bridge is certainly the best part, but the race is a top notch course.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm running my first Half-Marathon. Looking forward to the bridge and entering a foreign country. I've heard coming out of the tunnel is the hardest part of the race.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to run it. But my left knee got pretty sore after a 15 miler and isn't %100. I don't need to tear a tendon. I'm going to have to wait to do my first marathon and it sucks.
Gannon, take my registration packet.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am running 13.1 this year, and looking forward to running the 26.2 next year.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm doing the half. The bridge is terrific. I find the tunnel a little claustrophobic, but I'm sure some people experience the exact opposite. Also enjoy the finish at Ford Field--until I went to a black college football game, I had been on the field but never in the stands there. It's a nice race--big enough to feel like an event but not totally crazy.

Gannon

Post Number: 10704
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas,

I wish I could, far as I know they are NOT transferrable. It may indeed be some major Homeland Security offense for us to swap IDs for a border crossing and back.

Lemme check with the powers that be, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

How early did you register, what did you pay?!

Gannon

Post Number: 10705
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas,

I wish I could, far as I know they are NOT transferrable. It may indeed be some major Homeland Security offense for us to swap IDs for a border crossing and back.

Lemme check with the powers that be, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

How early did you register, what did you pay?!

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While biking to work this morning, I saw a friend of mine running with another guy. I stopped to chat and it turns out both are doing the half and the other guy is blind. Inspiring stuff.

Gannon

Post Number: 10711
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVERY run, I meet inspiring people.

Many times, I've had the wonderful service of helping them get to the finish line...even from my first run here. I coach, I encourage, I distract while helping them gain internal control over their pains and anxieties...it helps me forget all of mine!

Every time, I'm beaten by someone I've played running tag with throughout the course...someone who should NOT be in front of me at the finish line...I just love it when I'm 'beaten' by someone with that determination to succeed at something everyone else said was impossible.

It is an honor to get my ass kicked by someone who wants it more...heh.

Esp

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed this:

Headphones:
In December 2006, USATF adopted rule 144.3 (b) which bans the use of headphones and other music devices at all USATF-sanctioned running events including the Detroit Marathon. Wearing a music device is highly discouraged and you run the risk of disqualification and being ineligible for an award if you qualify for one. You must be alert and able to hear medical emergency vehicles, motor cycle police, or official marathon vehicles approaching. For your safety and the safety of those around you, we strongly urge you to run headphone-free.

Any other music lovers going to hate this? As a USATF ban, can I rock out in Canada?

Johns
Username: Johns

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early review of the marathon from a 5k'er. Parking was supposed to be plentiful, but I thought it was anything but. The structures were closed to the public and we ended up in a $20 lot north of the 75 service drive with our car blocked in for more than two hours after the race. The race itself was great, a perfect day for running, the people were friendly and excited, and the finish, which this year was at Campus Martius rather than inside Ford Field, was very well organized.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking close by was a problem. I went over by the main post office and hoofed it--quite a hike. But even so I found the cars of Lions goers there when I got back. It was a pleasant day--maybe too hot for the serious runners, but the sunrise over the river actually materialized today.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran the full marathon today; my third in a row. I have never paid for parking --- I parked by Harry's on Clifford, a 5-minute jog from the starting line. If you're willing to park on the street and be a 10 minute walk away, there's always free parking. On a related note, I've never paid for parking at Tigers game either. Would ride my bike or park on the street and walk a few minutes ...

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 861
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran/walked the 5k today and feel like I really pulled something off. ;) My sister started running this year, and has been bugging me, so I did this one thinking I'd walk it. But I got competitive once it started and wanted to keep up -- pretty amazed that I managed this feat.

I was blown away by the whole experience, too. 16,000 people in the dark at the starting area with rock music blaring was a trip!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorgeous day. My wife ran in the race. Like you Amy_p did only 5 miles. We met up at some friends house had a great afternoon - with no kids!!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6604
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at work today, but it was fun to look out the window and see the runners passing by on Jefferson for hours on end.

Wow, those two guys in the lead at Van Dyke and Jefferson blew me away, they were at least two blocks ahead of #3.

Great job, all of you who ran, jogged, walked, or limped. It was an impressive sight.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3491
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to all of the finishers!

Gannon

Post Number: 10802
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This ranks as one of the most beautifully perfect of my 18-something odd marathons.

Sunrise while we were crossing the Ambassador Bridge was simply stunning, and it just got better all day. Not a one of us were troubled that the leaves hadn't changed in Windsor...oddly.

(saw AIW, one of the ONLY familiar faces on the course...caught Harmonie during my blast to the finish line down Woodward, too)

Thought for the first half I'd make a personal best by over twenty minutes (truly a feat, so I wasn't expecting it), but my dark night of the soul mile was 16 capped by the most grueling 25 EVER.

I usually have enough steam to sprint the .2 ending, or at least the fifty yards in the football field (thank GOD we didn't have to go down that steep utility tunnel at Ford Field this year!)...but this year I was done.

I guess that's what happens when you run the first half over a minute per mile faster than normal.

I'd bet, given the spirit of this day, that I wasn't the ONLY one off pace at first.

I haven't even checked my results, just got home from a great Twingo's meal.

Congrats on everyone who participated, especially the volunteers.

(you kick ass, Amy_p, the difficulty difference between 5 and 26.2...if all your parts work...is truly not that great, but the rush at the end is times one hundred, not just five! The difference is in your mind...I've said for years that the hardest part of running a marathon is DECIDING to do one!)

Cheers, looking for better analgesic right now...those darned young National Guardspeople weren't giving up any morphine THIS year, either. I know they've got some in their medic kits...

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats runners!! I heard it was just a perfect day out there.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like my legs were run over by a monster truck.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to all. I may join you all next year, at least in part.

Gannon

Post Number: 10804
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid, I might have something, say, a little bit more natural than ketamine, that might help with that!

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...might have already beat you to it.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11707
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But walking back to his car in the sunshine after finishing in 3:34:27 -- and carving 20 minutes off his two previous marathon times -- Steven Vamvounis of Brighton said he was delighted by the Detroit event.

"I had always thought, 'Detroit. Why would I want to do that?' I went to the Chicago Marathon instead. But this was a fabulous marathon," said Vamvounis, 36. "The organization is great, the people are wonderful, and I couldn't believe how pretty it was when you ran through the neighborhoods with all the trees turning. I'm going to recommend this race to every runner I meet."

With comments like this, the event will almost certainly continue to set records for their number of runners.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon or anyone:

Where does the marathon finish now? (in Ford Field?).

[16 and 17 years ago I ran the South Bend marathon which finishes in the end zone of ND stadium - no jokes about tripping over the 40 yard line ;-) ].

Esp

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great way to see the city. For my first half-marathon, it was awesome.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

emu--

it usually finishes in ford field, but the lions were playing in it yesterday. Campus Martius became the ending point

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where does the marathon finish now? (in Ford Field?).

In previous years, the race finished in Ford Field; this year the NFL schedule precluded that, so the finish was on Woodward in front of Compuware.

Gannon

Post Number: 10808
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They somehow screwed up the bye week, heck it was two-for-three they'd have the weekend free for a Jumbotron finish...but this year I am very thankful I didn't have to stress my already-dead quads on that damn downhill tunnel in Ford Field.

Previous years caught me sprinting those last fifty yards, if I tried it this year I probably would've ended up crawling!

The coast down Woodward to a clearly marked finish line was great...especially compared with my usual June run, Grandma's Marathon up in Duluth...with their labyrinthian wind-down to the last two-tenths, on their docks in the harbor!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any of you are sick enough to also be running the Marine Corps Marathon this Sunday, I'll be with the idiots handing out beer at Mile 22.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.