Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » An interesting perspective on mass transit » Archive through October 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking to a co-worker today who is from India but has lived most of his adult life in Europe, before moving here (to metro-Detroit) three years ago.

He was telling me how in Europe, you are completely dependent on mass transit, how you have to plan your schedule around it, and how this sometimes makes life inconvenient. He said, "It's not like here, where you just hop in your car and go wherever your want whenever you want to." I was sort of surprised to hear this as I' not accustomed to hearing people who tout how great our region's automobile oriented transit culture is...

Then he said how in Europe, even with the limited driving that you do, traffic is really horrible and even when it isn't, the speed limits are still painfully slow...

I found his comments interesting because, growing up in our car culture, we tend to forget how liberating it is to be able to go where you want at your own leisure....

conventional wisdom tells us that SE MI needs better mass transit in order to attract young talent, I suppose after talking to this guy I realize that not everyone prefers the same thing...

I'm not ready to give up on my belief that an efficient mass transit system would benefit SE MI in a lot of ways...but I did find his perspective interesting and it made me think twice about taking our automobile culture for granted..

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Left unstated in your co-workers comments is that cities in Europe are eminently more walkable because they are densely developed. You can get many, if not most, of the things you need within a short walk, whereas here, you're forced to drive for something as trivial as a loaf of bread.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's right. Having a dependency on mass transit is the same as having a dependency on your automobile. I think the key here is that a mass transit system needs to work in flux with other forms of transportation, like personal automobiles, bicycles, and air transport. The systems need to be interconnected--like the "park and ride" stations.

The problem here is that we rely solely on automobiles and a shoddy-at-best bus system. Adding some kind of regional rail system would alleviate all traffic by allowing more people to travel short distances without having to hop in their car.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I depend on public transportation in Detroit to
get to work and home again....5 days a week. We
have a decent system but I think Chicago has a better one. What we need to do is (here it comes)
merge SMART with DOT. I know this has come up before with the late-great Coleman Young and others, but that would help folks a great deal as long as the fare doesn't go up again.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its wonderful that your coworker can choose to live a car oriented lifestyle in Detroit, the only lifestyle there really. But it would be nice to have options for transportation, and to be able to take a rail line to where ever. Just because a city has mass transit doesn't mean you can never drive again its just giving choices about how to get around, which is a good thing.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed, that's a start. So is expanding Amtrak to provide continual commuter service from Flint-->Pontiac-->Detroit and Ann Arbor-->Dearborn-->Detroit.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving everywhere = overrated.

People here have no idea how nice it is to be able to walk places – to the store, post office, dry cleaners, whatever. I've never lived in Europe, but I did live in NYC and I loved using the subway and having options within walking distance. I'd never want to use my own vehicle for driving around in that city, only to get away for vacations.

Sure, it's nice to be able to go anywhere you want here whenever you want, but what good is it when it's 25 miles away and you're sick to death of driving everywhere?

Anyone else find driving to be a sometimes draining experience?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a recent survey done in Europe. People there also want a car based culture. A majority of them don't want to use mass transit.

from: http://wardsauto.com/ar/eu_pol l_transport/index.html

(You need an account.)

quote:

EC Poll Finds Private Cars Preferred Over Public Transport
By Keith Nuthall
WardsAuto.com, Aug 13, 2007 11:18 AM

The stereotype of Europeans favoring public transport over private cars is deeply flawed, according to a new European Commission-funded opinion poll that interviewed 25,767 people in the region.
The Gallup poll confirms private cars are the most widespread means of travel in the European Union, with 53% of respondents indicating they drive rather than cycle, walk or use public transportation.
Additionally, 22% of motorists across the 27-member EU admit they would not be persuaded to drive less, even with dramatic improvements to rail, bus, air and boat transport.
Somewhat surprisingly, those polled in Eastern Europe generally are more impervious to the siren calls of public transport than other regions.

The findings cut across long-standing European Commission notions, in which commissioners long have favored pouring money into public transport in a bid to reduce pollution and congestion.
However, there have been clear indications in the last two years that the Commission accepts the inevitable appeal of private transport, hence its enthusiasm for hydrogen fuel-cell development.
EU transport Commissioner Jacques Barrot puts up a brave front when unveiling the poll. “This survey clearly shows that mobility is an essential part of EU citizens’ lives and that they expect a high quality and reliable transport system,” he says.

"We are working for a transport policy focused clearly on our citizens’ needs and expectations as reflected by this poll: better environmental protection, higher levels of safety, less congestion in big cities and stronger rights as consumers.”

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Tell them we'll swap Paris for Detroit then.

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

". . . You're forced to drive for something as trivial as a loaf of bread."

Is bread trivial? Food is only trivial to someone whose basic needs are entirely provided for. How many transit enthusiasts have carried a week's food for, say, a family of five home on foot or on the bus? Immigrants, some of whom have endured real privation, immediately grasp how essential auto travel is to bettering their lives. People trying to gain a foothold in a new culture don't have time to waste walking and waiting for the bus. The auto is their key to economic mobility as well as geographic mobility.

And before anyone says that if there were a grocery store on every corner you wouldn't have to carry a week's food at once, remember that both parents are usually working, and those three kids will be along when one of them is shopping. That means four bus fares, and lots of counting heads every time they get on and off. And you've still got to carry the bread.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is bread trivial? Food is only trivial to someone whose basic needs are entirely provided for. How many transit enthusiasts have carried a week's food for, say, a family of five home on foot or on the bus? Immigrants, some of whom have endured real privation, immediately grasp how essential auto travel is to bettering their lives.

Pure rhetoric. Since moving to NYC, I have done ALL of my grocery shopping without the use of a car. Why? Not because I was poor. I had a car. I did that because there were no parking lots at any of the grocery stores. That along with having 3 grocery stores within a 5 block radius. Yes, 3 grocery stores within a 5 block radius. How many metro Detroiters live within a 5 block radius of 3 grocery stores?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4244
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bake your own bread. The once-common baking concept isn't exactly novel. Sheesh!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many groceries nearby in SW Detroit? Let's see...

Within a mile (comfortable walking distance for obese Detroiters), there are five regular groceries plus over twice as many convenience stores, bakeries, and drug stores. Add an additional quarter to half mile, and you can add two more groceries plus a number of other, smaller stores. And then there are bars and restaurants, etc.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I have a car but we still prefer to do our grocery shopping on foot. We use cloth shopping bags and backpacks to carry the groceries back. We also have 2 large stores about 5 blocks away from us.

Of course we can do this because we live downtown. If we were living in the burbs things would be a lot different.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10423
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see how living dependant upon mass transit would make the car culture very appealing. The opportunity that many American cities have is that they can have both options.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY- a mile is comfortable for an "obese Detroiter"?

There are quite a few "obese" people in my building. From my observance, simply making it up a flight of stairs is nearly an insurmountable obstacle. I would pay money to watch one attempt a mile walk to the grocery store and back.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on October 09, 2007)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done some Eurail travelling and always marvelled at how they seem to have it all figured out. Unless you're headed to a cottage in the countryside or hauling furniture, pretty much everything IS accessible by train, bus or ferry.
Some of the other advantages are that Europeans aren't obese like us (they walk to the subway or ride bikes, rather than just a waddle from the kitchen into an attached garage), and drunk driving and price-gouging auto insurance aren't nearly the big political issues they are here.
Believe it or not, it's nice knowing you don't have to have a car to survive.

Jt1

Post Number: 10427
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will say of the times I have been in Europe I have absolutely loved being able to get all over by train and subway. It seems like an amazing system to me but my time there is on vacation, not living normal day to day life.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3519
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that anyone cares, but I would never use mass transit even if it was available. I need the flexibility to come and go as I please, run errands, pick up my kids, etc. My time is valuable so basing my day on when buses are running is not going to happen.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 09, 2007)

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You car-loving idiots fail to mention the 43,000 Americans that were killed last year by automobiles.

Oh, and then there was the 43,000 that were killed by automobiles the year before that, and the 43,000 that were killed the year before that, and...

Oh, and then there is the 43,000 that will be killed by automobiles THIS year!

Oh and then there is the 250,000 Americans that were maimed by automobiles last year!

And the 250,000 that were maimed the the year before! And, well, the year before that...And THIS year! Guess what, car-idiots?! 250,000 more Americans maimed by automobile use!

Gotta love "car culture" - a plague on mankind worse than famine, pestilence and war!

Danindc

Post Number: 3446
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I need the flexibility come and go as I please, run errands, pick up my kids, etc

Funny that. I don't own a car, yet I have all the flexibility I could want. And it doesn't take me all weekend to get errands run, either, since I can do them on the way home from work, often making several stops on the same block. Sitting in traffic jams doesn't seem to offer much in the way of "choice", "mobility", or "flexibility" as far as I'm concerned.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4247
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, most Americans don't know that a typical European country is about as small as one average-sized US state. And their provinces (or states) are the size of a typical state's county or two.

Population densities as high as many places in Europe can sustain their mass transit systems. And they too use buses in addition to trains for their transit. Don't buy into all that passenger/commuter rail BS. Trains don't go everywhere, as some would have you believe.

Jt1

Post Number: 10430
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't buy into all that passenger/commuter rail BS. Trains don't go everywhere, as some would have you believe.

That is true but their different options are coordinated very well.

Danindc

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, don't buy into that BS. It's so much easier to drive 30 miles to work, 5 miles out of your way to run errands on the way home, 10 miles out to dinner, and an hour drive to a concert.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3522
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Funny that. I don't own a car, yet I have all the flexibility I could want. And it doesn't take me all weekend to get errands run, either, since I can do them on the way home from work, often making several stops on the same block.

So you have the flexibility to do the things you need as long as they are on the bus route? That's funny too.

Danindc

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So you have the flexibility to do the things you need as long as they are on the bus route? That's funny too.

Well, when you consider that I have two subway lines and six bus routes within a block of my apartment (not to mention the places within walking distance), I'd bet the farm I have more flexibility, choice, and mobility than you.

I've done the completely automobile-dependent lifestyle, and I thought it sucked. All it did was wear me out and make me fat and lazy.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG.. I think what you're missing in Dan's statement (and with which I happen to agree with Dan here) is that yes, most things are along the route as the "stuff" grew around the transit lines. That is why mass transit will never work here. 50 years of sprawl have made a coherent system impossible without a massive structural realignment.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3526
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To each is own, I don't like buses or subways and my travel needs vary on a daily basis. The bus is not going anywhere that I want to live either.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again you are all missing the big picture. This argument is strictly about convenience and the cost of that convenience.

Owning a car in most European and large east coast cities is very expensive. Parking, insurance and gas will cost you a small fortune. A garage for a car is an extreme luxury in a place where land values are the most expensive in the world.

Everyone would choose a car over mass transit if it was free and came with no environmental byproducts. Most would choose mass transit if cars were 10 times more expensive.

Here in this country we are lucky to have a high enough standard of living where most people can afford cars. Our cost to own a car is nowhere near as high as it is in europe. We also need to travel much greater distances in our daily lives.

In Europe I lived without a car. I couldn't afford one on the money I was making there. It made no sense financially. Transit was more convenient than it is here.

I personally would not want to go back to a time where I couldn't use my car to get wherever I wanted to go. I wouldn't move back to Europe unless I made more money so I could afford a car.

A majority of People want their own cars. Hence the US economy based on cars. The limiting factor is the cost. If Gas was $10 a gallon everyone would be screaming for mass transit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To each is own, I don't like buses or subways and my travel needs vary on a daily basis. The bus is not going anywhere that I want to live either.

Which is fair, but beside the point. The point is will investment of the system be economically beneficial to the region as a whole. Will it render areas that were abandoned as attractive living spaces once again?