Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Streetlight Colors - Blue to Orange (or close to it). « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know when Detroit switched over from the blue streetlights to orange, amber or whatever the hell it is? I remember as kid in the seventies that we had the blue colored streetlights (ran or rode the bike home like crazy before it was fully or else...). At least, the lights were on the east side of town. My grandmother's neighborhood in the W. Outer Drive/Sinai/Mt. Carmel area had the current lights that are now being used across the city.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The switch started in the late 70's it is not just Detroit that switched, many suburbs also switched the new ones are more energy efficient. The Orange lights are High pressure sodium, and emit that orange light the lights generate more lumens per watt than the old Mercury vapor lights(blue/white)

Though with all the copper thefts going on, the lights probably wont even come on.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The orange lights were less expensive to operate, but they also did not cast as much of a shadow. They were billed as safer, as a result of there being not so many shadows in which to hide.

The drawback was the light was sort of ugly and depressing.

You'll notice the city has reinstalled the white/blue lights in the 'feature' or 'showcase' areas. Woodward, Michigan and Gratiot, as well as Washington Boulevard and the riverfront areas. Merrill Plaisance, Outer Drive and the Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest areas have them now again, too.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought the orangish streetlights were low pressure sodium and were for preventing light pollution. Astronomers can better filter out that color of light. It is ugly, I agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S treetlights

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the showcase area light are metal halide not mercury vapor. mh have the white glow. mv have the blue glow. you should all thank the city you don't have low pressure sodium all over the place. south detroit has some and south chicago has the shit everywhere

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what we really should bring back is the good old fashion arc lights that cast ethereal glow over downtown back in the day. man, those must have been some crazy things to behold!

My vote is either arc light or gas light (either "natural" or some good old fashioned spermaceti!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.