Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fox's House (C'mon you are better than this) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else offended by Hugh Laurie's character who said "I have never been to Detroit but I know that it smells".

Jersey, the meat packing section of Chicago and so many others are more odoriferous.

Knocking Detroit really shows the writers ignorance of what is going on here.

(Message edited by jazzstage on October 10, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10469
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I inferred it to mean that it smells good. He must have heard about some good BBQ places in the city.

Kidding. Didn't hear what he said and don't really care. I'll drive through DelRay on my way home tonight and see if he is right.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not offended. I groaned, but I'm not offended. Does my dispassionate reaction mean that I should, in disgrace, leave DetroitYes?

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but please return after you get your Fritos. Oh, that was Cambrian.

"House" is one of the most trite shows on TV, so who cares? Maybe they could write an episode around it: man mid 20's falls at H's feet, emits foul order, viewer spends next 35 min. biting nails as H insults the world, H discovers man has been trying in vain to save MCS and has decided not to bathe in protest. Diagnosis: preservanecropolis vulgaris

Ravine

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I like that show, with some reservations. But, Oakmangirl? That was pretty good stuff.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone else offended by Hugh Laurie's character who said "I have never been to Detroit but I know that it smells"."

No, I don't have paper thin skin so I don't get offended by one line of a stupid tv show.
Not offended.

quote:

I groaned, but I'm not offended. Does my dispassionate reaction mean that I should, in disgrace, leave DetroitYes?

Yes. Your response and the the fact you didn't write a very terse letter to the network over this misrepresentation of the city, shows you're a bad Detroiter.

(Message edited by eric on October 11, 2007)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jersey, the meat packing section of Chicago and so many others are more odoriferous.

The stockyards closed 36 years ago.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Anyone else offended by Hugh Laurie's character who said "I have never been to Detroit but I know that it smells"."

If this trivial nonsense is the most offensive thing you encounter in the course of your day, you lead a very easy life.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. House is the world's biggest jerk. If he insults you, it's a compliment.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think really think House will jump the shark next week, like he all ready did not do it when he short term killed himself to find out if there was an after life. Next week's show has a clairvoyant in it who sees spirits. Looks fun, but the crowd that watches the show is looking for something a little more high brow than a court TV channel type medium who sees dead people.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. House is the world's biggest jerk. If he insults you, it's a compliment.

Since he's a fictional character, a figment of some rather small imagination, I suppose we could also see that he can't really insult or compliment anyone or anyplace. ;-)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Hugh Laurie is really a rather handsome man.

Must be the accent.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beats me how anyone can leave the forum to watch mundane tv - seems you're always on the computer

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That fella House must have been near Zug Island.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i keep checking this thread because i think it's about the fox theatre. d'oh! but come on, it's a fictional, acerbic character making an offhand generalization; not a critical dissertation. thick skin and laugh at yourself every once in awhile.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 517
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beats me how anyone can leave the forum to watch mundane tv - seems you're always on the computer.

I can multitask, but I don't watch "House".

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should see the Fry and Laurie show. Silly brits.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. I caught that too on Tuesday night. Wasn't sure if it was worthy of a thread, but in all honesty, I can't recall going anywhere in Detroit where there was a pervasive smell. South Bend, IN smells worse than the D if the nearby ethanol plant's scent is blown in the right direction by the wind. Towns with paper mills smell pretty bad to. It was just a figure of speech that he used--it probably wasn't even his expression, but rather that of the producer or someone writing the script.

Ravine

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should keep in mind the fact that prolonged exposure to an odor can de-sensitize one to the odor. Ever been in a house that, to you, smelled funny? You can bet that it didn't smell like anything at all to the folks who lived there.
For all we really know, Detroit might stink to high heaven.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My girlfriend told me to kiss her where it smells, so I drove her to New Jersey"

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Hugh Laurie is really a rather handsome man.

Must be the accent.

For me the attraction lies in his well nuanced character acting...that, and his uncanny ability to limp with consistency.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if the meat packing plants are still open, but I remember (recently as 2002) driving east on Ferry from Woodward...watch out for the pheasant.

Anyhoo, not far from the freeway you will cross over railroad tracks - roll up your windows, lest the meat packing stench drive you to distraction.

Upton Sinclair anyone?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone else offended by Hugh Laurie's character who said "I have never been to Detroit but I know that it smells".

i thought he said "i know that it's swell."

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The quote was actually, "I don't have to go to Detroit to know it smells."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.