Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "Cyrano" World Premiere « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caught the dress rehearsal of Cyrano tonight. WOW! A feather in Detroit's cap(pun).
Dr. D should be very proud. This was my first opera and I must say it will not be my last. It seemed Cyrano was speaking what I feel at times.
Detroit is lucky to have a gem of this magnitude in their midst.
The costumes were great, I'd like to get some of the boots. The music gets to you in a good way.
Go see this.

(Message edited by tarkus on October 10, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5488
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, I caught the tail end of a PBS interview with Dr. DiChiera. I wasn't sure, but did he write the Opera himself?

I still have a New York Times Entertainment section from a few years back that raved about the Detroit Opera House, and that operas that usually skip the midwest and go to NYC and San Francisco, have been coming to Detroit.

The article also talked about how fabulous the acoustics are in the former Capitol Theatre (now DOH), and how many folks thought Dr. DiChiera was nuts to try to bring back the old theatre from the abyss... especially when back in the early 90's the southeast end of Grand Circus Park was a proverbial wasteland.

Now thanks to the genius of Dr. DiChiera as well as the acoustic genius of C. Howard Crane, we truly have a wonderful opera house that is renowned by the opera community worldwide. Even European opera buffs have flown to Detroit for operas. I hope that CYRANO continues that excitement!

This is exactly why I think that a restored United Artists Theatre (another C. Howard Crane acoustic marvel), is imperative to growing Detroit's entertainment district. I was very happy that the UA theatre (and building) roof was repaired, even though nothing farther has happened so far.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm going to see it friday morning (dress rehearsal) michigan opera theater is amazing and has made an opera fan out of me.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok I totally agree.

It would be so fantastic to see a restored UA anchoring the western portion of GCP, and the restored Capital on the East.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the PBS interview too Gistok. Di Chiera is the composer but hired out the libretto by Bernard Uzan.

David Di Chiera is an amazing man, a great impressario who de facto created the Michigan Opera Theater, saving a beautiful old theater in the process and more.

Now to learn he is also a composer, let alone even have time for it, was just amazing. I came into the interview after the start and kept thinking, "They're not really saying he composed this opera too are they?" Wow.

What an amazing person. A genuine Detroit hero.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like DiChiera's Cyrano could be huge!!

Here are links to some of the recent media coverage on this Detroit event:

TEAM CYRANO: A host of exacting collaborators helped bring composer David DiChiera's first opera to the stage
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071007/ENT 04/710070521

A nose for tragedy: Actors and conductor relish the chance to help shape 'Cyrano' for its world premiere
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071010/E NT01/710100411/1032/ENT

Dr. D's passion comes to life: Hopeless romantic brings Cyrano to opera house
http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/entertainment/story.h tml?id=4ece3e3f-db49-4a23-a7b4 -d1d689bbd162&k=10888

BACKGROUND
DICHIERA'S NEXT ACT: Longtime MOT director is pursuing his lifelong dream of composing an opera: His ‘Cyrano de Bergerac’ could be produced within 2 years
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071007/ENT 04/110050001/1039

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember--Opening night, Saturday, is a 6 PM starting time. Moved up because its a black-tie affair.
Row R, Seats 201 and 202, right on the aisle. Stop by and say hello.
David's production will get a standing ovation as will he. You can bank on it.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought the Cyrano de Bergerac Story paralleled the forum experience. Namely, it doesn't matter how you look that counts, it the power of your words do.

For those not familiar the core of the story, Cyrano is soldier with a big ugly nose yet is a sensitive side and a good poet. The woman of his dreams turns out to be in love with his handsome friend. Cyrano devises to ghost write the love letters to the woman for his friend. He pours out his feelings in poetic lines. She is swept away by the power of his words and becomes madly in love with his friend.

I won't spoil the rest of the story. Many of you may have seen various adaptions of it, like the movie of the same name with the great French actor Gerard Depardieu or, on the low brow side, in Roxane with Steve Martin, named after the leading lady character.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 488
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, The Jose Ferrer film adaptation is one of my favorites. Truly a great work.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like a great production. I wonder if there's any effort around here to promote opera to younger people -- I've heard it's a big focus at other major opera houses, and people are saying the younger generations are more attracted to opera than orchestra, because it gives them something to watch.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, I have tickets too. Maybe I'll see you there.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6493
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian_fitzcarraldo,

http://www.motopera.org/cp/lat oh.html

Karen DiChiera's passion is education of youth.

One of the most uplifting photographic assignments I ever had, was when we were at the Michigan School of the Deaf with two singers. Karen felt it was very important for the deaf to be able to experience Opera, as well.

Tarkus

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, they had a school show today for over 2000 kids at the dress rehearsal.

Cmb
Username: Cmb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an FYI - WRCJ is broadcasting the final performance at 2PM EST on 90.9FM. October 28th.
www.wrcj909fm.org

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good on all of you.

This is one of those great threads that we need more of.

I hope to get out there as well.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Fitzcarraldo and Cmb.

Does using the handle Fitzcarraldo indicate an opera lover? One of my all time favorite films is Werner Herzog's 'Fitzcarraldo', the story of a rubber baron whose passion for opera and to build an opera house deep in the Amazon drives the plot. Klaus Kinski's greatest role IMO.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River rat has returned to Detroit to see Cyrano this weekend and is infusing the local economy with a few dollars and enjoying a cultural event of great promise. The performance tomorrow has been in my plans for months and the broadcast by WJR will be icing on the cake.

Landing at City Airport and seeing the construction is encouraging, but the ride to the CBD somewhat discouraging. I do hope that the city supports this opera. Detroit needs classic cultural events to compliment the great Detroit Institute of Arts and the city needs to reclaim it's former cultural prominence. Leonard Slatkin coming to the DSO will help.

Come on Big D - support the classic arts.

The_rock

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rat---I did not realize that WJR was going to broadcast Cyrano Sat night. I thought they were contracted to do the Michigan State-Indiana football game which has a 7 PM kick-off.
George Blaha singing the lead?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has the hair for the role!...Might need to work on the nose

Cmb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJR is not broadcasting it - WRCJ the Metro Detroit classical station run by former WQRS staffers will be broadcasting on October 28th at 2PM - the final perf of Cyrano. www.wrcj909fm.org

I agree - it certainly wouldn't hurt Detroit to pick up culture and add it to the great sports venues we have here.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just great to see how far the MOT has come. Many years ago, I was fortunate to be able to work with Suzanne Acton (Chorus Director, MOT)when she conducted the MOT and the Lake St. Clair Symphony to perform La Boheme for an Opera week performance in St Clair Shores. We ended up in later years doing some Verdi and Strauss. It was a wonderful thing to be able to play in the orchestras for those operas.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to set the record straight"
Michigan Opera Theatre produces thier own opera productions. Sometimes in partnership with other opera company's. The operas that you see at MOT are not traveling operas from one city to another as mentioned in Gistoks post.

Gistok

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification... I just reread the article... and it mentions OPERA STARS... not Operas as "traveling".

But they do have traveling Ballet come to the DOH. I know because I saw the Cleveland-San Jose Ballet there.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 13, 2007)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got tickets for tonight! I'm really looking forward to it. I love the Cyrano story and I've heard Dichiera's music is magnificent.
I told the hubby to get cleaned up so we can, y'know, go listen to that French dude with the big nose sing.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Cyrano and the performance Saturday evening reminded me of the great days of Detroit. Detroit should take great pride in this opera. Rat traveled a few thousand miles to see it and the time and effort not wasted.

Diehard

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was absolutely stunning, in every way. The music, the sets, the costumes were beautiful and the stars delivered it perfectly. Roxanne in particular had an amazing voice. Go see it!

The_rock

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a night to remember at the Detroit Opera House. The opera was truly wonderful, but the chemistry, emotion and length of the standing ovation for the cast, crew and especially for David DiChiera following the performance was worth the price of admission by itself.
And thanks,fury13, for stopping by and saying hello. Hope to see you ( and yours ) again on opening night next month for the performance of Figaro.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jams, Tarkus and Lowell. Yes, I'm big on Herzog. Tarkus, do you know what schools were involved?

Tarkus

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not off hand. I could find out for you.

Andylinn

Post Number: 593
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the opera a couple of days ago (dress rehearsal) I'm no expert, but I have seen a few operas in my day, including most of the "greatest hits" such as Tosca, Madame Butterfly, Magic Flute, Marriage of Figaro, etc.... My review:

I found, as usual at MOT, that the performance was stunning. The sets will blow you away, the performers put on a good show. Overall, the music is excellent, and the story is obviously a classic. At this point almost garnering classic fairytale or Aesop Fable status... My one complaint is that there was not a break out "blow you away" aria in site. The opera was far better than I expected, but I would have liked to see some piece that I would be attempting to hum the next day while shaving. Maybe that's just the simpleton in me, but that was the one disappointment. Still, I say go. This was an excellent show and a boon for the city of Detroit. Thank you David D., for your marvelous work with the MOT and the Detroit Opera House, and now an impressive work of art. Go see this, it is excellent. Just don't expect some amazing Aria to leave with you and find you for many days to follow.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opera organizations have been making efforts for over 20 years to attract new, younger audiences. They started in the 1980s with projected subtitles above the stage--opening up the stories to those who don't already know the libretto (sung dialogue) and through aggressive marketing.
Symphony orchestras for the most part are staying where they have always been, with a few exceptions in programming and special youth presentations. Opera is up, symphony is down, or just holding its own.

Andylinn

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, I think you make an accurate assessment there. as part of a younger audience, and one who primarily listens to jazz, rock, electronic, and avant garde, I can honestly say that I prefer the opera to the symphony. so much more to take in. in simple terms, it's like symphony+.

BTW, the subtitles above the screen are known as surtitles i believe.

Cmb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find the link right now (will post it when I can) of a study that claimed that in the US, more people are subscribed to a full opera season than are subscribed to the NFL for a full season. The numbers were 24 million vs 20 million for the NFL??

Update: FOUND IT!
http://www.american.com/archive/2007/july-august-magazine-contents/america2019s-opera-boom

(Message edited by cmb on October 16, 2007)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My review:

Although a bit long (nearly four hours), "Cyrano" is well-paced and the intermissions and pauses come at just the right times. The sets, costuming, and chorus performances were incredible (as was the swordfight choreography). The male lead, Marian Pop, has a strong voice and a likeable persona. His acting was superb and carried the storyline along nicely. Cyrano is a big, big role -- both heroic and vulnerable -- but Pop is up to it, and then some.

Roxane was played by Leah Partridge, who has one of those superlative soprano voices -- it's clear and bell-like without being piercing. She hits ultra-high notes effortlessly and her acting was engaging. As the opera progresses, she communicates the growth of Roxane's personality extremely well.

The supporting character actors all did a fine job as well, especially Peter Volpe as De Guiche. If any character was weak, it was Christian, but I believe that is how he is meant to come across -- mundane and ineffectual, not charismatic like Cyrano.

I had forgotten how powerful the Cyrano De Bergerac story is. I was as engrossed in the plot as I was taken with the acting and singing.

The balcony scene and quartet after the marriage of Christian and Roxane is the opera's high point, in my opinion.

If there are any weaknesses in this production, they are: its length; and the fact that it seems libretto-heavy (not that the libretto isn't good -- it is). "Cyrano" could use a little less libretto and one more strong, memorable aria.

Nevertheless, this is David DiChiera's shining hour and he deserved every bit of the the applause that he got at the end of the show on Opening Night. I feel privileged to have seen a world premiere and I believe this opera just may catch on with other companies in the near future.

Overall, this was a great weekend in Detroit; we also attended the special "Cyrano" brunch the next day, and it was stupendous. It was catered by Opus One and featured an open bar, and entertainment -- complete with mime, guitarist, and swordplay.

On a side note, it was great to meet The Rock and his wife; I anticipate that we'll run into each other again at future operas.

The_rock

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!! Great critique, Fury. A really fine review of the opera. If Lawrence Johnson of the News ( who gave Cyrano an A ) or Mark Stryker of the Freep ( who gave it 3 out of 4 stars) ever goes on vacation, you could fill in very well for either of them.
When you come out of this opera after the final curtain has gone down, you will not be humming any of the (difficult) arias, but you will no doubt have both witnessed and heard what is meant by the term "the opera experience".
If anyone out there in Forumland has been hesitant to see their first opera, throw your concerns aside and take part in "the opera experience". You are going to love it. This is the production to see.

Cmb

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find the link right now (will post it when I can) of a study that claimed that in the US, more people are subscribed to a full opera season than are subscribed to the NFL for a full season. The numbers were 24 million vs 20 million for the NFL??

Update: FOUND IT!
http://www.american.com/archiv e/2007/july-august-magazine-co ntents/america2019s-opera-boom

I am attending Cyrano AGAIN on Wed night!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then how come I can still get where I need to go downtown on an opera night but can't get anywhere when there is a Lions game?

Diehard

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did find myself singing "A la porte de Nesle/ Oui nous marcherons" (was it Nesle? Don't remember the name of those gates exactly) - that last song by the chorus before the first intermission. Pretty catchy marching tune there.
The balcony quartet after Roxanne married Christian was amazing. I was crying like a baby.

Packman, maybe because Ford Field's capacity is several times that of the Opera House?

The_rock

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you, Diehard. Call the Opera office. They are always looking for good singers in the chorus.
Yes, a "catchy marching tune it was". Reminded me of Les Miz but ( fortunately) not as bloody.

Diehard

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They audition from the public for chorus singers? I think that would be the coolest. thing. evar. to sing in an opera. I wonder if my voice is strong enough? Next time they do one in French I am SO looking into that.

The_rock

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our former choir director (Tammy) at church has sung in the MOT chorus for several years, and has even had a couple of sultry dancing parts! We always look for her in the different productions, and we saw her Sat. night in Cyrano.
Those folks you see in the chorus of those wonderful productions are non-paid extras who do it for their love of music. I don't think Paula Tutman of Channel 4 News was paid when she had a part, and I remember when Dr. David even had a walk-on part too.

Cmb

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right - those non-paid walk-ons are called "supernumeraries". The MOT website has the chorus auditions listed - they usually are in the off season, late spring or summer.

Tarkus

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Cmb

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So anyone else think that the Balcony Act is brilliant? The quintet at the end is amazing!

Tarkus

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Chance this Sunday 10/28

Pussygirl313

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there Sunday afternoon @ 2:30.
This will be my 2nd time for this great Opera.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I WANT TICKETS! Ticketmaster seems to be sold out... if anyone is willing to part with 1-2 tickets, let me know!

Cmb

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, a reminder that WRCJ 90.9FM is broadcasting todays performance on the radio...
http://www.wrcj909fm.org

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

listening to it now

Cmb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so...what did you think?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The balcony scene was awesome. Somewhat surreal from our seats (about 2/3 of the way back on main floor).

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to to Fund Raiser Ball two weeks ago and to the final performance last night- Opera is not really my thing but the final show was awesome- world class really- a crowning achievement for the Opera troupe!

Pussygirl313

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Opera Ball and the Premier of Cyrano.
Then again on Sunday for the last performance.
I enjoyed the Opera both times.
Michigan Opera Theatre is such a jewel for our city.
I'm proud of that company and the investment they have made in that part of downtown.
David DiChiera's assistant is hottie and so sweet. If you are reading this send me a note baby!

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tout le pousoisse!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made the last performance on Sunday. I've only recently been introduced into the opera world by my better half, who's a seasoned Met subscriber, but even with my limited knowledge, there was no question that Cyrano was a fine performance all-around. Particularly enjoyed the lead singers Marian Pop as Cyrano and Soprano Leah Partridge as Roxane and look forward to hearing Ms. Partridge at the Met early next year in Peter Grimes. It was also great to see the Broadway-Capitol filled and looking in top shape.

A family member commented that she couldn't believe so many Detroiters would attend an opera. When she thought of opera she would think of Europe, New York, or even Chicago, but not Detroit, so I'm sure Cyrano won over other longtime Detroiters who didn't think their city was capable of such an event. It is no small thing to put on a full production World Premiere like Cyrano. Glad to have had the chance to have been there.

Gistok

Post Number: 5607
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn... you're dating yourself... the Detroit Opera House hasn't been called the Broadway-Capitol since 1934-60. :-)

After that it spent 30 years (1960-89) known as the Grand Circus Theatre.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 31, 2007)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I picked that up from visiting my family this past weekend. My dad worked there as an usher back in the day and only knows the theater by that name. Well, not only him but my aunts and uncles as well. When I mentioned the Opera House, there was just this dead air in the room, but when I said the Broadway-Capitol, everything came alive for them. So I just found myself using Broadway-Capitol all the time even to my friends and other family members my age. Funny, how hanging around with the old folks can shape your mind like that.

Gistok

Post Number: 5617
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That theatre was known under 5 different names...

1922-29 Capitol Theatre
1929-34 Paramount Theatre
1934-60 Broadway Capitol Theatre
1960-89 Grand Circus Theatre
1996-now Detroit Opera House

Cmb

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The balcony quartet after Roxanne married Christian was amazing. I was crying like a baby.

Actually its a quintet, but I totally agree that it was beyond brilliant!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.