Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cops walking the beat? » Archive through October 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw two police officers walking down my street in EEV. I thought at first they were looking for someone, but no, they were walking and talking to each other and didn't appear to be looking for anyone. There was no patrol car around either.

Has anyone heard that cops were to start walking the beat again? I hope it's true if they are.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen them in Islandview the last few weeks.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard that cops were to start walking the beat again? I hope it's true if they are.

I mentioned this last week. I saw it on the Blvd in the New Center area when I was in town. My sister said they started it several months ago.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have family in EEV on Yorkshire. She said that cops have been beat walking for several weeks as part of Next Detroit. She is a stay at home mom and the cops have actually been stopping to speak with her and chat.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that sounds pretty awesome

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definately a good thing.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IS Ray36 moonlighting?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10418
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great news for multiple reasons.

1. I think that beat cops will help bridge the divide between some residents and DPD.

2. The officers will get to know the neighborhood better and know what to look for, who to look for, etc.

3. This is a hope. I hope the citizens in these communitites make sure to have a kind word with the officers, maybe give them a cup of coffee and a bite to eat here and there to continue building relationships between citizens and DPD.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What or where is EEV?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East English Village. Far east side bordering Grosse Pointe.

I've also seen officers walking the beat in Boston Edison, and along Gratiot in the Osborn neighborhood.

Kimistree

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EEV (East English Village)a neighborhood bounded by Cadieux, Harper, Outer Drive and Mack in Detroit.

I found this on the city of Detroit web site.
East English Village
The Detroit Police Department implemented new Park & Walk Program to increase presence in neighborhood
Increased code enforcement for illegal dumping and signage, building violations, and evictions.
Removed 250 dead trees and planted 150 trees.

This press release was dated October 1.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen them on Fischer, bordering Indian Village, just about every other afternoon recently, also just saw two on bikes tooling around Woodbridge. Great for morale!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mentioned this plenty of times on various threads.

When you start seeing cops walking the beat, Detroit will start feeling safer again.

Honestly, if cops are afraid to walk the streets, what do you think about the citizens????????

And they have guns (non-concelled that is)

<313>

Chic_urban_professional_365
Username: Chic_urban_professional_365

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cops walking the beat is a great thing. It was one of my suggestions made during the Mayor Next Neighborhood Initiative community meetings. Despite its population losses, detroit has sustained a relatively good population density. I'm hopeful the police presence on the streets will help improve neighborhood commercial areas.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the officers happy to be walking? I think its a great idea, as long as the people on patrol enjoy walking the neighborhoods. When Lansing made the parking meter enforcement officers walk, it just pissed them off and didn't improve relations between them and the public.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5561
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EEV AKA Yeminsville. Might as well be in fucking Cleveland. Never heard of the place.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5562
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, even Ray1936 doesn't go to EEV. He knows every rock on the Westside, but you are taking both of us out of our comfort zone.

jjaba.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have heard great things about it! Our family in EEV loves the idea - like I said she is a stay-at-home mom and she said the kids waive out the window at the officers and they stop and chat. I don't think they are patrolling my neighborhood, wish they were!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I'm sure that they are real happy.

Detroit has done this about every ten years for the last thirty. They start walking a beat then it's over, I'll be surprised if it last a whole year. I'll bet no beats are being walked like there was in the early 60's.

I'll believe it will last if next October they are still walking, hope so.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, hey hey cussin about the eastside...Tsk Tsk, come to EEV and lets go to the Cadieux Cafe and have some steamed mussels and a cold Belgian beer and gain some culture while feather bowling.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brings back memories. Ever tell you about the time I was walking a beat on Michigan between 14th and the Boulevard? Started to snow. Time around 3:00 a.m. -- five hours to go to off duty. Walking the alleys around Roosevelt. Aha! Footprints in the snow, going from back door to back door. Start following them, sure that I'm on to a B&E man and a citation. Until after ten minutes it dawns on me that the footprints are mine from the last time around.......

True story.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"EEV AKA Yeminsville. Might as well be in fucking Cleveland. Never heard of the place.

jjaba, Proudly Westside."

Maybe if you didn't live in Oregon, you wouldn't be so befuddled about the city you've made 5562 posts about.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Ray1936 you did, right around your post # 1 or 2. You were answering a question I asked about the western market posting under my old forum name. Ray you posted a pic of your old call box key back then, any chance you might post it again? I'm redoing my brothers old detroit call box and would like to see your key again if possible.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3454
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Actually Ray1936 you did, right around your post # 1 or 2.

So, by retelling a story about encountering his own footprints, Ray has metaphorically encountered his own footprints yet again.

Funny! Good story too.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jababa, sorry about your comfortzonediscomfort.
howzabout citizens walking with heat packin.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936:

When did you retire from DPD? What assignments did you have?

Kimistree

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba..I'm proudly westside also. I married a man from the eastside so this is where I live now. I never thought I would. You should come and check it out you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Yeah, I guess I did share that story before. Hey, I've done a ton of dumb things that I love telling about, but I won't post 'em here....you guys would probably nominate me for the Darwin Award.

Karl, I didn'g save that image of the key. However, since I have a brand new scanner and am just itching to try it out, here's a new .jpg of it, about 1/2 again larger than life size.

key

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey '36, Who was Police Commissioner when you were walking the beat? Ray Girardin by chance, or am I in the wrong era.
The only Commissioner I ever met was Don Leonard and that goes way back to the 50's when I was in high school and my dad knew him. Leonard later became a Recorders Court Judge, but I don't recall ever appearing before him.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Ray Girardin, Rock. When my class graduated from the Police Academy, he handed out the diplomas and my wife commented later that he looked like someone who somebody else chewed up and spit out. I don't think he weighed 120 pounds.

Also at that ceremony was Blanche Parent Wise, representing the Common Council, as it was then called. She looked bored out of her skull and it was obvious that she wished she were elsewhere. She slouched against the speaker's podium all the time she had to stand.

That aside, it was a good class; most of the guys made some kind of rank, including Gil Hill who darn near became Mayor. The last one just retired a couple years ago with nearly 50 years on the job, Al Gomez-Mesquita. Main reason he hung on so long was he loved his DPD softball league and just couldn't throw in the glove.