Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Most unusual Detroit establishment? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago, I used to buy giant candles at Fuch's Religious goods. They were located on the ground floor of the Atlas furniture company on Gratiot and Russell.

They sold crazy potions, grave dust, giant inexpensive candles, religious candles, incense of all kind.

Once, I heard an employee tell a man that if he burned these candles and insense his brother would stop stealing and other crazy behavior.

The place is now open in Ferndale but is much more tame. Any other "interesting" places come to mind?

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goldengate Cafe

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sugar Hill on Oakland (sadly, no more).

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ascension U.K. was an unusual Detroit establishment. Wonder if any of you remember it. Less than legitimate Goth club. Forget exactly where it was located. Very dark inside. Lots of vampires.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toms tavern for the largest variation in floor height. The only place where if you are standing next to the side wall you are a foot taller than the person 6 feet away in the center of the room.

Babe Ruth B-day party coming up

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sugar Hill is defunct?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to think Doug's Body Shop located in
Ferndale was kinda different.
Too bad it's not there anymore.
It would be good for the dream cruise.........

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

101 Lounge in the Tuller Hotel. You took three steps down to the door, then down a few more steps into a smooth deco/moderne jazz saloon.

In that subteranian den of hipness, they had this huge black lady that out Billied Billie Holiday, an old guy at the piano in dusty tuxedo and bowtie with another hep-kat on a stand-up bass.

The 101 Lounge was time-warp place that was cool in a Dash Rip-rock sort of way. Very smooth.

On the Bagley side of the Tuller was the Harp Bar which was an old Irish bar. Usually the place was a ghost town, but one day - maybe 2 in the afternoon - I walked in and the place was packed with a bunch of singing, crying, drunken Irish guys. Up on a makeshift stage was JP McCarthy with his arm around the shoulder of some off-the-boat Irish fool from the IRA.

I had walked into a fundraising event for the Irish Republican Army!

I think that qualifies as unusual.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, great places both. Was a valet for a bit at the Harp Bar, and frequented the 101 Lounge--nice description of the 101. Too bad they are long gone.

My most unusual Detroit establishment would probably be the one-story building down the street from the uniform shop over by the Police HQ. It is now directly under the People Mover. At one time, before the PM was ever built, it used to house a puppetry outfit. In the small front window of that little building were some puppets in front of the window curtains. Seemed odd. Imagined a Geppetto-like character living there and making puppets largely for his own amusement.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have no idea what it is, but the "president nephew...." something or other on 14th between grand river and MLK gets by on name alone. i can't tell if its a biker hangout or some kind of wierd church or ministry

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could've sworn there's still a candle store where the old Fuch's is in Detroit. It's under a different name now but still has its fair share of voodoo oils and other esoteric "cures". My favorite oddities there would have to be the wax candles cast in whatever body parts that you needed help with- and I'll let your imagination go from there. It was most definitely a unique place.

And I don't think Fuch's is in Ferndale anymore. It was on Nine Mile just east of Woodward but has since been turned into some shoe outlet or something I believe. They might have moved to Madison Heights on Stephenson if memory serves me correctly.

The_ed

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a Fuch's on Puritan W. of Livernois?
Or is that Fenkell???

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mannequin warehouse near Music Hall and the old Hudson's warehouse.

I purchased a 50's style mannequin there in the 80's. Long gone to gentrification.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Fuch's, I remember a couple years ago whenever I would drive down I-75 through Detroit somewhere between 8 Mile and Hamtramck there was always sign on one of hte industrial buildings that said, "Fuch's Lubricants"

That one always got my attention

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came here to say Tom's.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now it's Cafe D' Mongo's downtown.

Gnome

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marcus Burgers (out of business - late 1960s); not your typical burger joint.
Their hook was to roll hamburger meat into shape of a sausage - serve it up on a hot dog bun.

Go Figure!

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity Machine...I think I know of what you speak. I drive by that place all the time and wonder what the hell it is! I slowed down once to gawk and if I remember correctly, it's some sort of Masonic Lodge/metting place or something. But the paint job on the building is hilarious!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I could've sworn there's still a candle store where the old Fuch's is in Detroit.

could this be the "lama temple" at the corner of gratiot and russell?

Fury13

Post Number: 2596
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marcus Burgers is still around, Chuckjav, on E. McNichols in Detroit, and at 14 and Ryan in Sterling Heights.

Fury13

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Car Wash Cafe on E. Jefferson?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The mannequin warehouse near Music Hall and the old Hudson's warehouse.

Davecat, is that you?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I remember a couple years ago whenever I would drive down I-75 through Detroit somewhere between 8 Mile and Hamtramck there was always sign on one of hte industrial buildings that said, "Fuch's Lubricants"

that place was formerly h.a. montgomery, of old detroit petroleum money - and was bought by fuchs, a german manufacturer of industrial lubricants. the facility was at the northwest corner of i-75 and mcnichols - and was razed within the past several weeks.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gigi's. Drag show in the basement of an old VFW hall.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: Ascension U.K. was located on Grand River right before Woodward, next to the former "House of 9" building. It was marked only by a yellow Chinese takeout sign, if memory serves. They served coffee and goth music late at night. It closed years ago- I want to say '99, but I'm not sure. The building was torn down a few years ago, and I thought I heard rumors about a strip club being built in that spot. Don't think it ever happened.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been in a few years but I have no reason to believe that it has changed but the Comet Bar is ultra-funky near Cass Tech.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ivanhoe Cafe tops my list - great place to grab lunch.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Johnlodge: Ascension U.K. was located on Grand River right before Woodward, next to the former "House of 9" building. It was marked only by a yellow Chinese takeout sign, if memory serves. They served coffee and goth music late at night. It closed years ago- I want to say '99, but I'm not sure. The building was torn down a few years ago, and I thought I heard rumors about a strip club being built in that spot. Don't think it ever happened."

Yes Evelyn, that's right. I'm glad somebody remembers that place. I remember sometimes they'd have a sign that said they were closed down, but if you knocked or rang a bell or something, someone would look out and let you in if they knew you.

If they were open until '99, that's a little longer than I thought.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old favorite was Abbott's Magic shop, around the corner from the UA Building on W. Elizabeth. During the 50's it was a fun place to visit.
Not a big store, but the magicians in the area would buy a lot of their "wares" there, and would even put on a little show for the customers. Just fascinating.
Colon, Michigan used to be the Magicians Capitol of the World ( maybe it still is), and some of their guys would come in and show the salespersons the latest tricks, etc. Even back then, some of those performers preferred to be called illusionists rather than magicians.
If you Google "Abbott's Magic", you are lead to a fancy website, but I don't know if that group is/was related to the "little shop around the corner".

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

- The Old Miami
You feel like you're in a Nam vet's living room.
Awesome backyard complete with fish pond.

The RR Bar on Michigan near Central is a gay western bar. I've never been inside, but I'm assuming that it is a very "Interesting" place.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Sugar Hill is defunct?

I'm not sure how long. Whenever I head over, afternoon or evening, no cars, door locked. I miss the velvet painting and the competitive pool. A guy who used to work for Parks and Rec took me there for the first time about 8 years ago. In fact, he was the person who told me about the 411 Bar (now a parking lot) which could also be mentioned in this thread. Toaster oven sliders!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge- I honestly don't remember the year, I just remember that I liked the place. Closed in the late '90s, at some point- I think!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13....Thanks; do you know where abouts on E. McNichols for Marcus Burgers?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marcus Hamburgers
6349 East McNichols Road

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daves Drive Inn, Piquette and John R. Excellent food.

Gnome

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I get a second for the Schvitz?

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't disagree with the Schivtz , especially on "couples night "

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Gallery on Michigan Avenue.

Hip art to folk art exhibits.
Very funky bar 'where every body knows your name.'

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! Chuckjav, Fury13 AND Karl_jr, I Can't believe I finally came across 3 people that remember the Marcus Burgers! When I worked at the Good Housekeeping Shops Warehouse on E. Davison I used to get sent there for those greasy Marcus burgers for the lunch crowd. Any of my old friends from around there don't remember the place. At 14 and Ryan and the McNichols establishment are the burgers still served the same way? I'm gonna have to stop by next time I'm in the area, I've thought about those grease bombs so many times....hummmm

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Six mile Marcus Burger is always pretty crowded at lunch time during the week . I eat there several times a year . Food is really good .

Chuckjav

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie......Check it out: http://eatatmarcus.com/menu/pa ge1.htm

Take your time; get an order together.
I am going to stop by the East McNichols store next month; sure is nice to see that Marcus lives.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres a few great and recent essays on several of the craziest stores that norms will never venture to:

http://detroitblog.org/

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At one time, railroad workers would leave the engine and caboose at the intersection and head to the Marcus for a quick lunch. Great Burgers and pretty good coffee back in the mid 60's.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav - how neat of you to put a link to the Marcus burger establishment. Thank you. I can almost smell 'em cookin'! I'll be sure to stop in for lunch the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

That's what I like about this forum - people put information out there for others to pick up on. I've learned so much about Metro Detroit history as well as current situations in the area just by scanning through the threads and reading what everyone has to say.

I must say there are some very intelligent writers on here.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone say Gratiot and Russell?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/144719984/in/set- 72157594143593544/

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Hall?

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea what kind of business it was, but in the seventies a high point of the bus ride down Fort Street to downriver was passing the Neuenfeld Frog Market.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie....No problem; that Marcus menu is so gigantic....I can't make up my mind.

I really enjoy this site too; takes the pressure off my family - I don't bore them to tears (so much) with my Detroit ramblings

The_ed

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Backstage Deli. It was located on Woodward North of 7 Mile
several years back. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was theatrical.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried out Tom's Tavern based on the mentions within this thread Satruday night w/ the little lady... had a riot...great place, crazy floor!

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the name of the restaurant that had booths like car interiors...or is this just in my mind? I think it was suburban, tho'.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're thinking of Jim's Garage in Ferndale on Woodward at about 8 1/2.

I'm also surprised that nobody mentioned Zakoor Novelty on Woodward and (I think) Selden.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6099
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Mario's Mannequin Works? I vaguely remember seeing a Metro Times article on them right before they were about to be moved or shut down. I had been there once a long time ago and it was kind of spooky & surreal all in the same breath.

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most unusual, but innovative Detroit establishment is the igloo shaped building in Southwest near the MCS. Coming in a near second is that Black Cats establishment next to the Packard Plant. Does anyone know what that is?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.