Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » CCS to move to Argonaut Building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071011/BUS INESS06/71011047

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They aren't moving, they might be expanding and putting their grad school in there, so says the article.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't CCS just do major renovation work and build a parking structure too?

It is my understanding that CCS is the second most expensive school in the state of Michigan.

Where is all the money coming from?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well.. some of it came from me I guess? Yeah, it sure was expensive!

Grad school and housing, way over there. They'll have to run shuttles all day, since it's doubtful students living in the Argonaut are going to only have classes in that building. It's too bad they'll have a split campus like that.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they got some loot from me too, but corporate sponsored projects/programs in the graphics and industrial design departments pull in a ton of dough i'm sure

a split campus would be very strange indeed.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 11, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is my understanding that CCS is the second most expensive school in the state of Michigan. Where is all the money coming from?"

Perhaps its coming from their tuition rates being the second most expensive in the state of Michigan???

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5498
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The late couple Walter Buhl Ford and Josephine Ford (he was a banking Ford not related to the automotive family, she was Henry Ford's only granddaughter) donated tens of millions to CCS in the last few years.

He died a few years ago, she died last year (she's the one who had the $5.8 million weather vane on her Grosse Pointe Farms house).

Dhugger

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep they got some of my money too in the 80's.

Just as expensive then as it is now.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great time there, and learned a lot. Had some really fantastic teachers, some of which I am still in contact with today in the business world. In fact, I run into a lot of my classmates in the business world. Must be a good sign.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which building is the Argonaut?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pics to add a visual reference to this thread:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/i m/?id=227427

http://flickr.com/photos/theem pirebuilder/255507453/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/15881443/

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one south of the old GM HQs.

Dhugger

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: I too had some very good teachers I still see today. I just wonder if I went to Wayne State if I would have achieved a high level art education as well.

What do you think?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is more potential for learning in the arts at CCS. However, I think a student can graduate from Wayne State as a better candidate for a job, if they work harder and put together a great portfolio. I've seen plenty of worthless hacks graduate from CCS. But if two students were equally motivated and talented, and one went to CCS and one went to Wayne State, I believe the CCS student would achieve the most growth.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news for the Argonaut building, anyway!

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it is good news for the Argo. It actually is a nice building.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a WSU Art student and being very pro preservation I have to say I hope this goes through. At the same time I'm very jealous. I really wish WSU would consider moving some classes downtown and renovating a nice old building. Unfortunately I don't see this happening with the current state funding of High Ed in MI.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10472
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I really wish WSU would consider moving some classes downtown and renovating a nice old building

The argo is in the New Center area. WSU has a few old options very near to their campus.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I meant just that I wish WSU would renovate an old building in general rather than building these horrible steel and green glass buildigns. It doesn't need to be near the Midtown Campus. An example is GVSU which has its Allendale Main Campus and then the Grand Rapids Downtown Campus. I have friends that have taken classes at both and this has in part led to the development of "The Rapid" grand rapids rapid bus service. So this could do good things for transit in the Woodward/Cass Corridors.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all that space in the Argonaut, I'd be surprised if the entire CCS couldn't fit into it. By the way, though article said it was an office building...it also contained many engineering, lab and (before the Tech Center) design facilities.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd be surprised if the entire CCS couldn't fit into it"

The square footage of all the levels and buildings on the CCS campus is way bigger than the Argonaut. Theres the old African American History Museum building, the Art Centre apartment building, the Yamasaki Arts and Crafts building, the Ford Building and the Kessler "tinker toy building" to start with. Theres extensive basement areas in the Kessler, AAHM and Ford buildings that connect with tunnels. Then theres the parking structure and the buildings on Ferry Street and the carriage house. Throw in the very large sculpture garden grounds in the front, and that certainly all would not fit in the Argonaut. No outdoor ares for the Argonaut either.

The Ford grants were the largest in history given to a private art school.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.