Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit photographer Ameen Howrani exhibit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

October 12 - November 23, 2007: Howrani Studios and The Ellen Kayrod Gallery present "Ameen's People": The Photography of Ameen Howrani.

The Gallery will present a solo exhibition of work by one of Detroit's most celebrated photographers. This exhibit will feature images of his favorite subject: people he has encountered from all walks of life. Known for his generosity and committment to the City, Howrani's images include favorites from the Detroit community and beyond. An evening reception with the artist is scheduled for Friday October 12th, from 5-8pm, with guitarist Jere Stormer performing at 7pm.

The Luella Hannan Memorial Foundation is located in the Hannan House, at 4750 Woodward Avenue in mid-town Detroit, the heart of the University and Cultural Center. Hannan House is conveniently located near the Lodge, I-94 and I-75 freeways.

Foundation Hours
Monday through Friday
8:00am- 4:30pm

==============

DYers,

Ameen Howrani is one of Detroit's most celebrated photographers. He has run a photography service out of the old Jam Handy building on W. Grand Boulevard for over 30 years. After suffering a stroke last year, Ameen has retired from photography but his photos are truly incredible and he is taking this opportunity to show his decades of work. His portraits of people from the City of Detroit are fascinating. I highly recommend that you try to attend this exhibit. Ameen has been a close friend of my family for years and he is well known for his openness and generosity and you will love meeting him if you attend the opening reception tonight. Hope to see some of you there--

Does anyone have some stories to share about Ameen? He was well known to walk the streets of Detroit--its best and worst neighborhoods--capturing images of the people who have called the city home.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.