Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Moving to Grosse Point area » Archive through October 10, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spikey2
Username: Spikey2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on moving from Houston Tx to the Grosse Point area within the next year. I have found several homes I would like to purchase in the Grosse Point area. The home at 110 Cloverly
stands out, is there any history attached to this property.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5023
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13000 sq. feet...

Patrick

Post Number: 5024
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cant tell who designed it but I dont think it is Kahn, Willeke, or Burrowes. Louis Kamper only designed a few Tudors and Wallace Frost's style was different. Possibly Robert O Derrick?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3759
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay you've got money...

Oil money?

First off, it's *Pointe.*

110 Cloverly is an enormous brick and stucco/timber Tudor by noted architect Robert O Derrick, built in 1924. 13000 sq. ft. 10 beds, 10 baths, 10 fireplace; on .5 acres. It was $2.7 million last year...don't know about now. This house epitomizes the Grosse Pointe Farms estate district(s).

There are so many outstanding houses and streets in the Farms. Kenwood, McKinley Place, and Beverly are favorites. I happen to like GP City and Park better on the whole, but more power to you if your looking at some of those area in GP Farms. I hope your move to GP happens. It is a superior landscape, and much better located, than all other upscale suburbs here.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I be nosey and ask why you're moving to the Detroit area? Welcome!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would get a better house in Indian Village or Palmer Woods. I would check there over GP. It is kind of a dying area. Detroit is a little more hip and our taxes are lower than GP with the tax breaks.

Patrick

Post Number: 5026
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, at the moment there isnt anything in IV like that house. There are two in Boston-Edisonthat are just as grand or nicer, but it's BE.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Woods would probably be the comparable inner-city neighborhood...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be rich! Said he'd like to purchase several homes in GP.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that the Freuhauf place? Nice neighborhood, ... welcome to the Board.

Oh, anybody have an idea where we can have the next picnic?

Patrick

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Freuhauf family had a grand mansion on Grayhaven. That must have ben pre-1935 though.

Spikey2

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for correcting my spelling of "grosse' I will never make that mistake again. I have no oil money, but am lucky enough to profit from the booming realty market in the Midtown area of Houston, an area where 5 years ago a home could be purchased for less than $40,000, that same home is now selling for over $300,000. Thanks to the construction of a huge convention center and two major sports stadiums.My family has owned numerous properties in this area for several decades and I am cashing in. I am amazed by the many splendid buildings in Detroit begging for new life,several friends who grew up in Detroit and moved to Houston during the 80's and returned to Detroit, have been very successful in turning several of those properties around I would like to use my resources to do the same.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great time to buy in Grosse Pointe, good prices, stiil have outstanding schools, very nice parks, the shopping districts (The Hill and The Village) are being upgraded and adding a Trader Joe's, I love the neighborhoods and neighbors

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spikey2- Welcome to the hood!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived here for 42 years and you will love not just your home on Cloverly, but also the neighbors, the neighborhood, the community, the atmosphere, the schools--everything but the taxes and the grief you will get on the Forum from a few folks.
But that goes with the turf.

Spikey2

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for advice on my upcoming move. Now the big question. How is the racial attitude in the area. Coming from a very racially mixed city with neighbors of all races and a very welcoming attitude to all, will I find the same here

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely: http://www.gpbr.com/golf07.htm l

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread seems like a big setup.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spikey, as long as your wealthy and keep you home safe and clean, they will welcome you in like money.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I agree with Craggy.

(Message edited by Futurecity on October 08, 2007)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an 8,000 sf house for sale down the street from us in IVA. 1111 Seminole. 5000 SF less, but still ridiculously huge in my book. Do you have a very large family?

BTW the IVA home is only around $300,000. Needs work but it's a great opportunity.

Patrick is right...while there are several homes that are 13,000 sf in the Village, none are for sale.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just think of Grosse Pointe as Detroit's own Beverly Hills.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cloverly is a great street in a great area. Cloverly, unlike any onther street in the area, has a center median with a single sidewalk running through the middle. It makes the street seem a bit more exclusive and private. That block in particular is the best. I had some relatives that used to live a few blocks from there.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the words of Homer Simpson talking to a couple of elks, "Go back to Grosse Pointe!"

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pointes are nice communities, but there is still some vestige of the snobbishness that used to define the area. Just a vestige though. Personally I like Grosse Pointe Village over the other four communities, but that's just a personal preference. I like being able to walk to things, and the Village is best for that.

The five Grosse Pointe communities were once rabidly racist, anti-Semitic and so forth, but that seems to have largely diminished. It is not as racially or ethnically mixed as Southfield or Warren or Hamtramck. Communities, of course, are neither welcoming nor excluding; individual people are, and you will meet all kinds.

110 Cloverly unfortunately I don't know anything in particular about. I'm thinking if we can summon Lowell somehow, he might have a clue. Or some of the architecture folks at UDM who post here from time to time?

Spikey, you've already noticed perhaps that some of the very pro-City people will have an attitude about the Pointes, but they are very nice communities. Good churches, good schools (public and private), nice places to eat and shop. Bus service to downtown even! (I am a bus frequenter, a rarity in these parts.)

Anyhow, welcome - I hope you get some good advice here. It's a nice blog overall.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend the cabbage patch, many nice investments in that area.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3761
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By Village, I believe you mean the City of Grosse Pointe, which contains the Village.

Grosse Pointe is too tough/complex to generalize. Bear in mind, as a collectivity it has 50,000 people. Many love Detroit, many are realistic about it without loving it, others don't like it. There are old-timers still who are wholly racist, but like in the rest of America, this all diminishes over time. Politically speaking, moderate, secular Republicanism with a still reasonably noticeable social conservative strains prevails. Grosse Pointe Park voted democrat in the last election, though. The defining features of the place, especially the Farms-City-Park, is the little-heralded economic diversity. Lefty made mention of the 'cabbage patch,' a sizeable rental district in the Park. Grosse Pointe City has lots of townhouses and some apartments/duplexes. The Farms is mostly single family homes, but dozens of blocks have rather smallish, affordable homes for purchase. So, the housing is diverse in size (1500 to 30000 sf), style, vintage (late 1800s-1950s), density, and thus price. This is all to the advantage of the area. ...just know this: GP Shores, while much talked-about because of Lakeshore Drive, and famous because it has the highest median income, is not as impressive many other areas of the Pointes. If you're looking at the Farms and thinking it is the most premium and classiest neighborhood, you're probably on the right track. Windmill Pointe in the Park is also up there. The point being...class and character do not neccesarily follow pure wealth.

Spikey, I'm wondering what your previous experience with the area is. Have you visited...do you know people here? What has led you to want to come here? I grew up there, have family there, and may or may not return. Regardless it's a great place.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New money should consider Burrrmingham.

Something very fishy bout our new friend. I agree with craggy^2. Welcome NTL

If you are going to buy "homes" in GP, don't plan on keeping the current taxes because they are headed up, up and away.....

From what i understand there are somewhere around 800 homes for sale in the GP's.

There may be double that in Grosse Pointe Village, but you're gonna have to find Grosse Pinte Village first. ;)

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are large homes for sale in Historic Indian Village. For example the 5,000 sq. ft. home architects MacFarlane, Maul & Lentz designed in 1912 for Frederick Hotham Andrus and his wife, Inin Louise Marshall at 1429 Iroquois is probably 5,000 sq. feet and in good condition.

Contact one of the Indian Village realtors. Many of the best homes don't have signs in front of them and some are not listed with the realty boards, but the realtors specializing in Indian Villag know which ones they are.

You Grosse Pointers may be interested in knowing the Andrus' son-in-law was Dr. Frank Sladen, Sr. of Henry Ford Hospital and their grandson was the late Frank Sladen, Jr., who was the head master of Liggett School in the 1960's.

The only negative to the Andrus house is that I will be one of your neighbors.

Bob Cosgrove

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky you, moving to Grosse Pointe! I love the pointes and if the opportunity arrises at some point in time in my life, I would be happy to move there and buy a great old house.