Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit-area ad agencies » Archive through October 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5007
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we have several advertising pros on this site. I worked at several agencies and I know the "Adcraft" world is somewhat tight-knit. Anyone have any good stories or experiences in Detroit's advertising world?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no personal experience...but my sister got a job working at Campbell Ewald back in the early 60's...right out of high school...her job consisted of going through all the local papers and cutting out all the ads that C/E developed and filing them away. Once she was done, she had to stay at her desk, but could knit or do anything else she wanted.

I don't remember how much she made, but for the time it was a lot. She was able to buy a brand new car, take trips and vacations that most women her age couldn't afford. And believe it or not, she lost the job for being late to work all the time!

But that's probably not what you were looking for :-)

Patrick

Post Number: 5008
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, just that. Would be sweet to hear more stories, especially ones about certain ad agencies on the Lodge that caught fire...hmmmmm

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Lodge that caught fire? What? plz explain..

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doner's building in Southfield caught fire. They ended up building an extra floor afterwards.

Gnome

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhh, yeah, about ten years ago or so. The rumor about Brod boning the VP of research and knocking the candle over. Is that what you want to hear about or Sheldon's leaving his electric seat massager plugged in.

Patrick

Post Number: 5010
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...Doner and MARS both caught fire within years of each other and both have spanking new offices. How often do buildings just go up in flames?

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August 4th, 1996. I had been working at Doner for 4 months when the building caught fire. I remember the day well; I was living with my sister at the time and she woke me up that Monday morning to say "I don't think you'll be going to work today, your building is on fire". What? I figured it had to be a joke, until she said come watch the news; there it was, super thick black smoke billowing out of the upper floor windows.

I worked mainly out of my bosses house for months, having to pick up mail and faxes in a donated office space in the old Maccabees's building. We were eventually allowed back in the building, as long as I wore a hard hat, to retrieve any salvageable belongings.

10 years later, I never could get a straight answer as to the cause of the fire. Supposedly "electrical".

Unfortunately no really good stories or experiences to speak of. Last year myself and many other senior level media people were the first in line to be let go when their major clients started dropping like flies. Basically, Doner is a sweatshop and most people who start out there would concur. The good things I remember most from being there are the handful of awesome people who knew how to make me laugh until I cried. The best thing I took away from there would be this handsome fellow I call my boyfriend. =)

Oh, and then there was the couple caught shagging in a car in the parking structure one night. For the life of me I can't remember their names, but I do know that they were married...to other people.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've worked for several. My experience is that ad people are worse cut throat a-holes than lawyers. The worst of the worst are at Sussman. I worked for them for a short time. I heard their reps curse at each other using words I've never heard before, screamed at the top of their lungs... the worst being the female partner.

Campbell-Ewald

Sussman Sykes

Doner

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on October 06, 2007)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4200
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The best thing I took away from there would be this handsome fellow I call my boyfriend. =)

Maybe, he won't be screaming and referring to you as a female partner.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y & R 211 W. Fort Street....Jan 1969 thru Jan 1971. Anyone from that era? Chrysler/Imperial/Plymouth stuff and staff.

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe, he won't be screaming and referring to you as a female partner."

I don't think I have to worry about that Livernois, that's not his style. He's also pretty much walked away from the business. I'm on the radio sales side now and it is a much more pleasant experience.

There's no denying that I've also heard some very heated, choice words coming out of peoples offices and I've only found myself on the receiving end of a flurry F*Bombs once...once the jackass calmed down enough to realize I was not at fault, at least he had the decency to apologize.

Patrick

Post Number: 5016
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sis works at Doner and likes it. Man, they have been letting people go left and right. They pay badly too from what I have heard.

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 384
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on what dept. your sister works in really defines the pay; Doner definitely keeps it's purse strings closed tight. Media Planning at Doner is pretty much a training ground for newbies. I noticed a 2 year revolving door in that dept. The planners learn everything they possibly can in 2 years and then move on to make 30%-50% more money elsewhere their very first year. I will give them this, they did offer very good benefits which can make up for some lack of pay. I also cannot knock my old boss. She was awesome and the glue that held that dept. together. One of the reasons the group I worked in had more employees that stayed longer than most was because of her. Great gal who we were all very loyal to as she was to us.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who's left?

I know C-E is still in Warren.

Brogan is still in Detroit.

How about BBDO?

FCB?

McCann (-Erickson?)

Young & Rubicam?

Just curious?

Gnome

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brogan is in Birmingham, jwt is in Dearborn, McCann is in B-ham, bbdo (under it's new name)is in troy

Mcp001

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Brogan move to Birmingham?

Gnome

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.brogan.com/

they're in the Peabody Mansion on Old Woodward ave

I think they moved out of the Fisher Building after Kwame took over. They lost their Archer contact with Trudi.

Brogan is the group that did the Poll about youths moving out of Michigan. As you know, they are not a polling company.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just surprised to read it, that's all.

I friend of mine who used to do the closed caption MDCH spots years ago mentioned to me that he thought at the time it was strange that they haven't moved out.

I also remember reading about how Marcie Brogan would claim that they had such stong ties to the city...

Gnome

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how that works.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I can say about car TV commercials- the foreign car ones are more creative and better than Ford, GM, or Dodge commercials. Detroit ad agencies seem to be in a straitjacket creatively when it comes to car ads. But then again maybe it's Chicago or New York ad agencies ruining it for domestic brands. Which ad agencies did you work for, Patrick?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is BBDO the latest incarnation of the former Ross Roy agency that was on Jefferson Avenue?

Was the ad business in Detroit big only because of Autos? Was Detroit considered a big Advertising town back in the heyday?

Patrick

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman, I better not say the name, but it was a larger one and it was managed very badly. Seems to me that they refused to hire anyone outside of UM or MSU. Anyways, what was the story of Ross Roy? Where on Jefferson were they located? I also know Saatchi had an office in Detroit years ago as well.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, lots of Doner folks here. I too started my career at Doner.

Yes, it's a sweatshop.

Yes, the pay is awful.

But if you work your butt off and impress the right people, promotions come faster than at other agencies, and then you move on when the offers start rolling in. That's what I did, and about 6 of my good friends as well.

I too heard the story about a knocked-over candle starting the fire.

Thursdaynext, I know that story, but also cannot remember who was involved. It was during one of the old-school holiday parties in the office building, was it not?

(Message edited by focusonthed on October 07, 2007)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, Ross Roy Agency was on Jefferson at Joseph Campau, sort of near the IHOP. They moved to the burbs in the '80's I believe. The building is still there but i'm not sure what goes on there.

I had two friends at Doner, and everything focusonthed said is exactly what they said.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here used to work for Leo Burnett Company out in Chicago??

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ross Roy is part of BBDO, since some time in the mid- to late-1990s

Gnome

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Harrys which was next to the Ross Roy building on Jefferson. A great bar where ad agency types hung out.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campbell-Ewald was quite the experience.
And not a good one.

Some great people.
But one effed-up company.

I'll just leave it at that.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm another former Doner guy, and I can confirm that the pay was not quite up to par as other agencies.

There were good things though. I started my career there and I learned things more quickly there than I would have at other agencies. When I was in client meetings, friends at other agencies were still mailing out packages for their boss. I'm sad to hear they've been on such a bad run lately.

I had always heard the fire started upstairs somewhere, but never heard the story about the candle..