Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Capitol Park Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the owner of the Capitol Park Building at Capitol park downtown on the corner of Griswold and Grand River. I need a contact number or someone to reach for business purpose. Thank you...

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GThomas,

Are you a sailor?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess not, which building?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6505
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I not sure which corner you're referring, but I'd venture a guess it's Dennis Kefallinos of the Boydell Group .

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's owned by Victor and Eli Ozari along with Sammy, the owner of the liquor store on the first floor.

Markopolo
Username: Markopolo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Campus Martuis, Capitol Park will become another showplace/green space in downtown no later than the summer of ’09. Why, because of the upscale development in the area; ex, the $180 million being dumped into the old Book Cadillac. With the condos all sold at close to million dollar price tags, the city will be forced to clean up the park and chase the “undesirables” out.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thought... although, I am not sure if we live in the same City. In the Detroit I know and live in, nothing will happen, until the storefronts are full and there are some nice restaurants in CP. Also, those buildings around the Park will need to be improved and updated, before anything will happen. Sorry, while I agree that CP could be the coolest up-and-coming neighborhood downtown, I think we're some time off from any real turnaround to the area. I will guess 2011.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I have gone to CP, I have never thought that the buildings around (aside from the Farwell) were in esp. bad shape nor do I think that the park itself is that bad. I think that the biggest concern would be to simply get the riff raff out of there. That will already mostly happen when the RPTC is finished.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so what do you do with all the poor people who live there? That is a lot of people to move.

I can tell you this as a former resident of 1217 Griswold.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how the street lights have been out for months and it's pitch black at night.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billk, that's called "ambiance". :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukabottle-
1217 is pretty infamous, what's going on there now?

The folks in Harmonie Park took decades to turn the corner, if Capitol Park could steal a page from them it might work out. The David Stott is the lynch pin.

Always loved the ginko trees there.

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there public records for occupancy in sec.8 housing, specifically around the Capitol Park area, regarding how many units, senior or not, etc?

Also, does anyone have pictures of when there was a Big Boy on Capitol Park? Or pics of the Arcade Bar?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the famous "ice fountain" in Capitol Park every winter. Now, THAT'S what they need to bring back.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When big money is involved, Detroit's execution on projects take on a new urgency. The Book CADILLAC will stand for nothing less, for the city will bend over backwards to make people with cash happy. While the rest of the city continues to crumble, Greater Downtown Detroits growth is definately outpacing the rest of the city. As the grand opening to the Rosa Parks transit center and Book Cadillac Hotel takes place, capital park will practically be revamped simular to the makeover Campus M got.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Greater Downtown Detroits growth is definately outpacing the rest of the city."

Some of us don't think that this is a bad thing.

"As the grand opening to the Rosa Parks transit center and Book Cadillac Hotel takes place, capital park will practically be revamped simular to the makeover Campus M got."

Do you think that the city need do any more to CP than to just move the transit operations? I'm sure that there are folks that make that area their home, but that is the case throughout the city. Move the transit and fix the Farwell Building http://www.flickr.com/search/? q=farwell%20building%20detroit &w=all and things will be almost all better.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its better than whats there now which is bums and homeless people. I have confidence in that area, the same reason i want to invest my business and living there. All I have to say is "LOTS OF POTENTIAL".

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5604
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the should move the neglected Merrill Fountain from Palmer Park back downtown to Capitol Park. See the Fountain in Palmer Park Thread.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 31, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.