Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ham counters in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently there've been threads on Mike's Ham Place and Ham Heaven ... there are a couple Ham Palaces, I think, and there's the one around the corner from the main Greektown drag whose name I can never remember but that serves a mean split pea soup with ham (my personal favorite use of the stuff). Probably there are at least a dozen ham diners all told, maybe more, and they're all pretty old--I'm guessing there were many more in the past. And I don't recall seeing these in other cities. Are they unique to Detroit? How'd they get started?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6404
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Johnny the Ham King?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 906
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one in Greektown is called the Ham Shoppe.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the westside it started out with Lile's, they had the shop which today is Mikes ham place and also one in Dearborn which is still open. Lile's came well before Johnny ham king.

(Message edited by karl jr. on October 13, 2007)

(Message edited by karl jr. on October 13, 2007)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louie's Ham & Corned Beef on Mack north of Eastern Market and on Harper between Whittier and Cadieux.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.