Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Atlanta water source nearly dry » Archive through October 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is posted in the Detroit issues side because water source and livability of Sun Belt cities has been discussed a lot here already...

Robert J. Hunter called it a drought "of historic magnitude." He said everyone must come together to protect and conserve limited water resources.

The storage for Atlanta's water supply is Lake Lanier, located north of the city. Hunter said it provides water for one-third of the residents of Georgia.

He said that now there is enough water in Lanier to serve the area for 121 days.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/1432 0447/detail.html

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 12, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan needs to start marketing itself to businesses and individuals down there.

We have WATER! (and tasty, clean city water in Detroit at that)

Seriously, though, there will be a backlash and reversal of the current trend that pushes people out of the sunbelt, especially the SW, when they have to pay so much money just to get water. Michigan should try to capture this outflow.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10702
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should NOT advertise this asset.

If they don't realize we are in the middle of the best fresh water source in North America, they certainly DON'T deserve to live here.

Plus, more yokels will simply want to transport the water to their place rather than move their place up to the water.

It is mere human nature, there will be wars fought over the availability of this resource, we should be prepared for that eventuality.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With legislative power centered on the southern and western tier States, there will be increased political attempts to draw down the Great Lakes as a source of water. It's ludicrous and impractical to think it would work the other way

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv,

If it comes to that, I think that would be the time where Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and New York secede from the the Union.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Plus, more yokels will simply want to transport the water to their place rather than move their place up to the water. "

Sounds like oil....

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5144
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn can we say Water Wars?

No one told the dumb asses to move into the middle of a friggin DESERT!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, my theory was that people would stop moving to the sunbelt en masse if they knew it would be a hassle and they'd have sky-high taxes to pay for water, etc.

Then again, they probably wouldn't. Americans will do whatever they hell they want, and will expect to get what they want for cheap (see also: gasoline). So I think my revised theory is in agreeance with you...they will legislate to get our water.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In agreeance?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn can we say Water Wars?

Time to dig out my Super Soaker! lol...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a problem with obsolete words? http://dictionary.reference.co m/browse/agreeance

haha my brain is mush after a week of classes...

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems the environmentalists would be all over this. Messing with a lakes' levels that way can really do some damage, rising temps, stagnation etc.

The bottom line, these cities in the south and west clearly do not have the natural resources to support the rapid growth. Surprised large corporations haven't forseen this, they will when they start getting penalized for large uses of water.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No one told the dumb asses to move into the middle of a friggin DESERT!"

Uh, Atlanta is in the SE not the SW! It is a drought worse than any recorded. It isn't as though when people moved there that they knew what they would be getting into. This is a vastly different case from the deserts of the southwest.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5148
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte that comment was in response to the mental giants that thought moving to places like Pheonix, Vegas, and other places SW would be without issues.

However I read a report back in 2002 when I spent a little time in ATL that they were going tohave some water issues, but at they time they did not think it was going to be this soon...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solutions .......
Everyone concentrates on the problems we're having in this country lately; illegal immigration, hurricane recovery, wild animals attacking humans in Florida.
Not me. I concentrate on solutions for the problems.

The result is a win-win-win situation.

Such as:
~ Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border.
~ Send the dirt to New Orleans to raise the level of the levies.
~ Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Genius....

How exactly do the gators survive in the desert again....?

The_ed

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in the desert, in the moat! The more the non-citizens try to enter, the more the gators could have to eat.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*smacks head*

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ed,

we HAD a moat along the border. It was called the Rio Grand. Not has pretty much run dry. where is the water for this moat supposed to come from?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5500
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we should advertise our plentiful water in business publications in all "water deficient" regions.

I highly doubt that because we're letting others know we have lots of water that it will give them any ideas that they don't already have. After all people do look at maps and see the Great Lakes. It is no secret!

The USA/Canada water treaty keeps us relatively safe. And by advertising to businesses, maybe we can lure some to Michigan, which is a more pressing concern right now.

And think about it... do you actually think that Wisconsin or Illinois or Indiana or Ohio will allow huge pipelines (making Alaska's Prudhoe Bay pipeline look like a hose) to go thru their states at a cost of billions and billions of dollars to go those thousand + miles to the south or southwest? I doubt it very much.

Something like this may be a concern to many folks, but this would be a project that would cost tens of billions and take MANY years to implement. After all think of all the EPA studies, and other red tape that such a process would involve first. There would be plenty of time for us to litigate to death any plans of diversion.

So lets keep an eye on this, but not worry about it. We have more pressing problems at the moment.

The_ed

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The water can come from the cities flooded from rain run-off.....

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this is another "Fuck Michigan" situation. Hello, we have the water. You can't just jump up and decide you're going to take it from us because you moved to a region that lacks the necessary resources. You want our goods but you don't want our bad. Bottom Line is you can't have the Broccoli and Cheese without the Broccoli. I bet all those black people who jumped up and moved to the ATL from Detroit are bitching a fit now. Well it's what they get for making the move. What are they going to do? Set The Weather Channel on fire because they won't make the rain come?

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 12, 2007)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6403
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I bet all those black people who jumped up and moved to the ATL from Detroit are bitching a fit now.

What about White people?

Gannon

Post Number: 10710
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

I was just talking to my UP cousin and her husband the other night about that Army Corps of Engineers project to contain the 'flooding' of the Rouge River.

The chamber they built underneath Birmingham was way too huge for mere flood control...they printed a picture once of an earth-moving dumptruck that looked like it was a Tonka toy in a gymnasium!

I believe they have already built this huge pipeline...and have been using it. I don't believe the draining of Lake Superior can fully be explained by evaporation and a lack of water input from the environment...those are a convenient cover for their evil draining!

My cousin's husband wanted to know what came of the underground river he used to see before the Corps of Engineers paved the Rouge through Dearborn and Allen Park...he said there were natural springs at Rotunda.

Always remember that news earlier in the year about the Bush family trust buying that land on South America's best underground aquifer, in Paraguay. The head of the Unification Church, a longtime Bush family confidant, bought something like fifteen times their land next door...within a year after the Paraguain legislature paved the way for their escape, allowing them to elude International and US Criminal Court jurisdiction.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about White people?"

White people too. I'm not trying to stereotype or single out anyone, but both cities are majority black and every time I hear a person making a big deal about the ATL, they are black. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but I never got a perspective of the ATL from a white person.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:

For clarification: are you saying that you believe that there is a large water pipeline extending from Lake Superior to the western U.S.?

Gannon

Post Number: 10714
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a good number of suspicious 'flood control' projects started not long after those FEMA hidden taxes on ALL housing in flood plains, even if the floods were caused by human actions...like the Army Corps of Engineers fiasco while they were building that paved route for the Rouge.

People in south Dearborn Heights remember that time well...they fought against this hidden tax because their lower Rouge tributary only flooded BECAUSE of the Corps of Engineers blunders against nature when they were paving the Rouge!

I'd like to investigate where they were placed and see if there are trends.

I would like to see a flow report of the lakes, to see where any human-made intake or natural spring/river system sucks water from the basin.

I do not trust those within Top Secret government with our well-being and safety. I think FEMA and Army Corps projects could certainly have been designed for this purpose...draining some of the lakes for use in other parts of the country.

It really doesn't matter what treaties are signed...I sure would like clarification on what is discarded with the NAFTA agreements regarding water rights and that treaty. PLUS, it would be curious to see how they've assembled the language to that effect within the FEMA structure of emergency legislation largely completed when Carter was in office in 1978...all transportation, communication, AND food production will be under the complete ownership and control of the government with ONE signature of the current sitting president in the even of a national crisis, even a self-manufactured one like they did to us on 9/11!!

As with most of my guesses, they could be far off...and I would gleefully discard this one with proof. It truly disturbed me to see that chamber proportionally to that truck in that old B'ham newspaper article...wish I could remember when it was printed.

You don't want to know what I truly think they'll be doing with these chambers later in the age...it is simply too Aztecian for most to ponder.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or just too big of a conspiracy theory for us to comprehend.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5504
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Lake Superior freeze over this winter? If not, there's a reason for lower water levels right there... evaporation.

Supposedly when the lakes freeze over, it holds in the water. But when they don't freeze over, they lose some of their water to evaporation, even in the cold months.