Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Monkeys at Hughs and Hatcher store « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I know this sounds strange, people who know me think this is a joke, but in the early 1950's, Hughs and Hatcher at Northland Shopping Center had a large showcase /cage, of live monkeys. It was in the lower level of the store.The display had all kinds of branches and greenery to look like their natural enviroment. Although I was about 5 years old at the time, I remember they were small, possibly Capuchin Monkeys. I always enjoyed going there to watch them. Anybody or their parents remember?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There absolutely was monkeys in the lower level at Northland Hughes and Hatcher.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be caged birds inside Westland Mall.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember them, I worked at Northland for years. The mall is a pale ghost of what it once was.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 15, 2007)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There absolutely was monkeys in the lower level at Northland Hughes and Hatcher.
I remember them, I worked at Northland for years. The mall is a pale ghost of what it once was.

The shopping may leave something to be desired, but I think evolving beyond caged animals might be seen as an improvement.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom used to leave me at the monkey cage while she shopped, until she saw a monkey performing fellatio on himself.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those crazy monkeys at HHS quite well.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick, was mom afraid of monkey see, monkey do?

Admittedly my mother would've probably dragged me by the scruff of my neck and hauled me off to have my eyes washed out as well if we ran into that.

God love moms for trusting us. Sigh.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 827
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,
Mom never caught me "spanking the monkey"

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There also were monkeys at the Eastland H&H.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any malls that still have working fountains?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.