Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Blacks feel isolated in the suburbs « Previous Next »
Archive through October 15, 2007Gnome30 10-15-07  7:07 pm
Archive through October 16, 2007Iheartthed30 10-16-07  10:10 am
Archive through October 18, 2007Jt130 10-18-07  10:23 am
Archive through October 18, 2007Iheartthed30 10-18-07  12:38 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No. No one ever prevented anyone from driving down a dirt road and building a house on an open field. There is a difference between doing that and driving up a newly paved and taxpayer funded road (paid for by whom?), picking out a plot and pointing to the house in a booklet that you wanted built on that plot."

Again, the option was put in front of them, and the CHOSE to exercise it...you're still saying that a better solution would have been to not give people this choice, and instead to force them to remain in a place that wasn't as desireable to them as another place

"Part of it was the home loan (and insurance) structure that steered certain people towards the suburbs. Part of it was the destruction of city infrastructure with freeways. "

So you think there some conspiracy to get white people to leave the city, unbeknownst to them? Who , exactly, do you think financed this project and what was the motive?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10527
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UMCS - I disagree with damn near everything that you said and you don't seem to be thinking about anything anyone else has said but I do have a few issues with factual inaccuracies of yours:

quote:

This is a Detroit issue.

It is a metro Detroit issue, not Detroit only. Older suburbs are now facing the same issues Detroit is facing.

quote:

There is no "master plan" to drain Detroit of its population and tax base. What's happening is that smaller, rural communities are soaking up the refugees from Detroit and the other suburbs.

I have never said anything about a Master Plan. I mention inequalities in how resources are used and paid in this region. Detroit has been facing the issue for 50 years and older communities outside of Detroit are facing the same issues.

quote:

At some point, Detroit has to get over the fact that is an older city with massive infrastructure problems and deal with it. If it needs help, it has to make a compelling case to the rest of the region/state why they should help it.

Making a case does nothing in this divisive, ignorant region. People are unwilling to help anyone but their own community with their tax dollars. The political structure we have here is the reason for this. There is no regionalisma dn there will be no support from any newer communities or Lansing regardless how strong a case is made. Let's look at reality, not idealism.

quote:

Acknowledging that there is massive mismanagement within Detroit and that it has to be dealt with first is the only way this city is going to get past its history and be able to honestly stand up and recoup its people and legacy. I just don't see that happening with this current administration.

I agree the administration and citizens need to take action. I think you simplify the problems. We don't have enough police but we are paying tons of retirees in Florida, Arizona, Las Vegas and the suburbs that no longer do a thing for the city. This structural inequality makes it extremely hard to supply the services needed.

quote:

By the way, the whole "taxes are everything" argument is wrong. GP averages higher taxes than Detroit but still manages to hang onto its population.

That is incorrect. Detroit has higher taxes than GP. I don't have the time to look up the others. If you don't see a migration to lower taxes in this region you are not looking too hard. GP, Ann Arbor, and a few others are certainly the exceptions, not the rule.

Jt1

Post Number: 10528
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"No. No one ever prevented anyone from driving down a dirt road and building a house on an open field. There is a difference between doing that and driving up a newly paved and taxpayer funded road (paid for by whom?), picking out a plot and pointing to the house in a booklet that you wanted built on that plot."

Again, the option was put in front of them, and the CHOSE to exercise it...you're still saying that a better solution would have been to not give people this choice, and instead to force them to remain in a place that wasn't as desireable to them as another place

Nobody is saying that people shouldn't have a choice to where they live. Now who was given the choice of their tax dollars going to pave that road? Who was given a choice on utilities distributing utility costs to all users to run gas and electricity there? Those are the issues that iheart is talking about.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't really that hard. Who wants to live in a neighborhood that has:

graffitti, prostitution, illegal drug traffic on street corners, thugs shooting each other in the streets, trash, filth, no neighborhood participation, no neighborhood committment, no by laws, people that are Sect 8s', cars parked in the yard, cars that have no registration and are just sitting, pit bulls that are used for protection purposes that are chained to trees adn neglected, busted bottles in the street, no civic pride, former schools that excelled in academics that are now just mediocre with a high drop out rate, gang fights over turfs, apartments with no father figure in the picture that have issues with no child discipline,. yards that haven't been cut in years, houses that haven't been painted and only continue to suffer in neglect.
Tell me who would want to live in a neighborhood like that?

Now what was so hard about that?

Jt1

Post Number: 10529
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that why people were leaving Detroit in huge numbers in the fifties.

We are talking about causes that make older cities less competitive and in a sense stuck dealing with some of the issues that you mentioned.

Now what is so hard about understanding that?

I noticed that you disappeared on this thread after your initial comments were questioned.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nobody is saying that people shouldn't have a choice to where they live."

Actualyl, IHD is saying exactly that.

"Now who was given the choice of their tax dollars going to pave that road?"

The residents of the state of Michigan exercised this choice though their elected representatives. Do you honestly think that if our elected officials went on a spending spree building a bunch of roads to nowhere that people didn't want, that the people wouldn't have voted them out of office? The people wanted these roads and highways built. They needed a place to drive their automobiles.

"Who was given a choice on utilities distributing utility costs to all users to run gas and electricity there?"

See above.

"Those are the issues that iheart is talking about."

Unfortunately, that isn't what IHD is talking about. IHD was saying that the best way to build a good city is to force people to stay there.

You, on the other hand, made a bit more of an intelligent argument, but one that was easily rebutted.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

First, I didn't state any facts or statistics. I was stating my opinion as to what Detroit needs to do. Did you bang your head too hard on that desk of yours?

I do believe that rational people seeing Detroit get it's act in gear will react rationally. Otherwise, we might as well just all move out of the city. I prefer to be optimistic about the ability to bridge the divide between people. The alternative is rather nihilistic and unhelpful.

As for the administration, yeah, you're right about the cops. I also know that we have craploads of CJ majors graduating from Schoolcraft College and other universities. Has anyone thought of bringing them on part-time outside of the union? Ah, we can't do that because it's not politically expedient. We have to protect those union jobs.

As for taxes, GP has higher property taxes on a per capita residential basis because... da da dum, it's houses have a higher SEV. When I refer to taxes, I'm referring to residential tax rates applied to residential properties extrapolated to residential populations and resulting tax dollars per household.

I don't even care to address the issue of "higher taxes" in Detroit by factoring personal property tax rates for corporations, income tax rates, user fees, tax abatements granted by local governments, BIDs, Ren Zones, Brownfield Redevelopment Credits, NEZ, MEGA Credits, etc. ad nauseum. It's not possible for a private citizen to do without enormous effort and I doubt even the City Treasury knows what the exact tax burden on city residents factors out to.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nobody is saying that people shouldn't have a choice to where they live. Now who was given the choice of their tax dollars going to pave that road? Who was given a choice on utilities distributing utility costs to all users to run gas and electricity there? Those are the issues that iheart is talking about.

The utilities invested in the areas that were growing. They then started charging the new customers good money to offset that. Straight business deal that has paid off well for them and having nothing to do with Detroit.

Tax dollars and private money from the developers were used to pave the road and then the new residents starting paying taxes to offset that investment.

Plenty of vibrant cities like Chicago also have thriving suburbs, it is not a zero sum game. They have the same challenges, aging infrastructure and all of the rest.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 18, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10530
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The residents of the state of Michigan exercised this choice though their elected representatives. Do you honestly think that if our elected officials went on a spending spree building a bunch of roads to nowhere that people didn't want, that the people wouldn't have voted them out of office? The people wanted these roads and highways built. They needed a place to drive their automobiles.

This still occurs. I recommend that you look at MDOT's plans one day, it is pretty telling. They aren't spending billions on waste yearly but their plans are severly lacking.

This argument certainly does not apply to utilities. The only time people consider utility costs is when the city raises water rates. To believe that voters consider utility rates and their elected officials in the same breath is preposterous.

quote:

You, on the other hand, made a bit more of an intelligent argument, but one that was easily rebutted.

Really you didn't rebutt them at all. Making generalized claims about how elected officials work for the best interests of the state and all citizens is laughable. I appreciate some of your legal insisghts to matters on here but I suggest you avoid politics if you still see things in such an idealized light.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^sorry if you don't think democracy is fair...you can;t make everyone happy...but taxpayers, especially ones in Michigan, pay lots of attention to how the state government is spending their tax money...

The money was spent to build these roads because people wanted them built...our elected officials would have been thrown out of office otherwise...and the fact that so much development occurred along these paths is further evidence that people wanted these roads...

You make it sound as if a small minority wanted the roads built and did so against the wishes of the overwhelming majority...that's laughable in SE Michigan

Umcs

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure how it was in the 50's and 60's Jt1, but now days, if a developer wants to build a development, the County Road Commission typically will require them to pony up the cash for connections to county roads.

As for utilities, most aren't publicly owned anymore so I don't understand that argument at all. Additionally, the last I checked, most residents along US-23 and M-59 don't want Detroit to extend the water system their direction; it cuts into their own local water systems monopoly. Even if a Det Water is involved, the local muni will charge the developer a fee to hook up to that system. The muni then will get charged from Detroit and the muni will then pass the charge onto the customer, with a surcharge of course.

Jt1

Post Number: 10531

quote:

First, I didn't state any facts or statistics. I was stating my opinion as to what Detroit needs to do. Did you bang your head too hard on that desk of yours?

You stated taxes as facts.

quote:

I do believe that rational people seeing Detroit get it's act in gear will react rationally. Otherwise, we might as well just all move out of the city. I prefer to be optimistic about the ability to bridge the divide between people.

I agree.

quote:

As for the administration, yeah, you're right about the cops. I also know that we have craploads of CJ majors graduating from Schoolcraft College and other universities. Has anyone thought of bringing them on part-time outside of the union? Ah, we can't do that because it's not politically expedient. We have to protect those union jobs.

I agree again except someone with a degree in CJ will probably go for a better paying job in the suburbs that require degrees. Part time while students could work but I would be concerned about the training costs and potential lawsuits if they are on the street. If there are admin positions that could be filled by civilian students it would work great.

The unions need to go in all aspects of city positions.

quote:

As for taxes, GP has higher property taxes on a per capita residential basis because... da da dum, it's houses have a higher SEV. When I refer to taxes, I'm referring to residential tax rates applied to residential properties extrapolated to residential populations and resulting tax dollars per household.

It makes sense to say that. When you say higher taxes it is implied that you are talking mill rates.

If everyone considered taxes based upon SEV then the papers would be touting how cheap Detroit's taxes are due to low values of homes.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, that isn't what IHD is talking about. IHD was saying that the best way to build a good city is to force people to stay there.

Show me where I said that.

Umcs

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If everyone considered taxes based upon SEV then the papers would be touting how cheap Detroit's taxes are due to low values of homes."

Um, don't kid yourself that if Detroit got its reputation under control together with efficient policing, schools, and responsive government, you wouldn't see a migration back to the city.

Cheap housing stock, historical buildings, grid streets, an intact water system, green spaces galore. Can you say insta-city. It's got everything structurally for a resurgence, except a well-functioning government. If that's fixed, migration comes back. That's what I'm trying to say...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Show me where I said that."

You say it every time you blame the existence of the freeways and suburban development for the decay of Detroit.

You never stop to ask why people CHOSE the suburbs over Detroit.

If you owned a restaurant, would you focus on maintaining a high quality of food and service for your customers, or would your strategy be to piss and moan whenever a competitor decides to open a location nearby?

The city of Detroit could have chose the former...instead they chose the latter, and sadly found out that's how you find yourself out of business.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever lived outside of Michigan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U rban_decay

Thejesus

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I have, and that still doesn't change the fact that your *solution* to SE MI's problems are to deny people a choice of where they want to live instead of focusing on why they might exercise one choice over another...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I have, and that still doesn't change the fact that your *solution* to SE MI's problems are to deny people a choice of where they want to live instead of focusing on why they might exercise one choice over another...

Okay, well, whatever. I live in a place that gets *it* now so fuck it.

Umcs

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I've lived in many different cities here in the U.S. and in Europe. I actually find that Detroit has a very fine infrastructure and two central city cores waiting to be tapped and utilized effectively. However, the administration is just shy of Soviet Union efficiency and helpfulness.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the place you live "gets it"...but you do not...

Manhattan is booming in population because it offers what nearby places do not offer...

Your solution would have been to prevent the nearby places from ever existing in the first place...and if that were the case, then Manhattan would not have any incentive to offer the things that it does, and wouldn't be such a nice place to live...it would simply be the only option in town...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manhattan is booming in population because it offers what nearby places do not offer...

Manhattan would not be "booming" if they had plowed an interstate through the middle of it, like they wanted to do at one time.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one issue is that there is no real choice when it comes to mayoral elections in Detroit. You get a race between 2 black liberal Democrats and the one who hates the suburbs more wins.

No offense to black democrats in the city, but competition and choice is healthy. Why not consider other parties and/or backgrounds when choosing your leaders? You get more debate and ideas and it keeps everyone honest. Coleman Young was taking it for granted that he would be re-elected for his 5 terms, was that a good thing?

Why not consider a guy who is like Giuliani, although he has his detractors, made a big difference in NYC? Someone like him (even an African American) would not stand a chance getting elected and that is too bad.

Please don't take this to mean that I don't like Kilpatrick because I do like him. I think he does mean well and is trying hard in many respects.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 18, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^regardless, Manhattans strategy has not been to deny its residents the option of moving to Jersey or Queens, or to piss and moan if those places try to offer something better...

Manhattans strategy has been to make people WANT to remain their...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You get a race between 2 black liberal Democrats and the one who hates the suburbs more wins."

But PG...voting this way has done them so much good! I mean, why change?

Umcs

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG,

Crazy talk. Republicans in Detroit. Hoohoo, you're funny.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Queens is larger than Manhattan, and both are within New York City. 2) The region is centered around New York City, and the state of New York and New Jersey are both on board with that.

Jt1

Post Number: 10537
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"You get a race between 2 black liberal Democrats and the one who hates the suburbs more wins."

Actually KK is much less liberal than people think. Give it a few more years and he will be in the middle and possibly leaning right. Kwame is getting more conservative in his politics. I think it is a good thing.

How liberal was Freman Hendrix.

The whole 'hate suburbs' crap is a weak argument and usually thrown out there for lack of thought on the topic. I know a few suburban companies that are owned by people in the burbs and do work in the city. They love Kwame and do not feel he 'hates the suburbs.' It is an easy card for the media to play and even easier for people to blindly believe.

quote:

But PG...voting this way has done them so much good! I mean, why change?

TJ and his pulse on the citizens again with his wonderful generalization.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually KK is much less liberal than people think. Give it a few more years and he will be in the middle and possibly leaning right. Kwame is getting more conservative in his politics. I think it is a good thing.

He's always been a little right of center in ideology, IMO. In fact, many black Democrats are, but... that's another discussion for another time...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5191
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<<don't even respond to the wrongly named jesus any longer. He knows what every 'citizen' (enter codespeak for black since apparently thats all that lives here) in the city desires...

Jt1

Post Number: 10539
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think KK would break the unions in Detroit if it wouldn't be political suicide.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"TJ and his pulse on the citizens again with his wonderful generalization."

lol, we're talking about elected officials voted for by a majority of the city's population, but Jt1 doesn't think it's right to generalize...

hmmm

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't even respond to the wrongly named jesus any longer. He knows what every 'citizen' (enter codespeak for black since apparently thats all that lives here) in the city desires...

He also knows you all hate Northville/Troy/Livonia/Maybur y or where ever the Hell (no pun intended, lol) he lives.

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 18, 2007)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, not to threadjack, but does anyone know anything about Dr. Verdun? I'm sure his neighbors are all warm and fuzzy now that they've been shown the error of their ways.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Joseph Verdun
Obstetrician / Gynecologist - Southfield, Michigan
24901 Northwestern Hwy Ste 615, Boston Medical Group, Southfield, MI

Send him all the hate mail you want. The go read this book:

www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 18, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4082
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is he?

Jt1

Post Number: 10546
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reference the beginning of the thread. Just a guy that was quoted in the article.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's seriously fucked up...he decides to move out of Detroit so you post his address and tell people to send him hate mail?

are you fucking kidding me? you have some serious issues

(Message edited by thejesus on October 18, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"<<<<don't even respond to the wrongly named jesus any longer. He knows what every 'citizen' (enter codespeak for black since apparently thats all that lives here) in the city desires..."

I don't know what all of them desire, but I know what a majority of them desire...the election tells me so. Sorry if you take issue with that...too bad

and I don't understand the "codespeak for black" comment...I never mentioned race, but considering Detroit is majority black, I suppose we're mostly talking about black people, but I don't see why that matters

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's seriously fucked up...he decides to move out of Detroit so you post his address and tell people to send him hate mail?

are you fucking kidding me? you have some serious issues

You really do allow your prejudices to cloud your reading comprehension. You need to scroll back through this thread then respond.

I posted his info because Gnome asked about him. It took me all of 10 seconds to find him on Google.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Send him all the hate mail you want."

Yeah, I must be racist to think you were suggesting that people send him hate mail.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I must be racist to think you were suggesting that people send him hate mail.

No. I'm thinking you must be stupid.

Gnome made the comment suggesting that Dr. Verdun casted his neighbors in a bad light because of his comments in the article. He then asks who knows about him. I Googled him and posted what I found in the search. I then sarcastically said, in a comment directed to Gnome, to send him all the hate mail that he wants. I then suggested that Gnome read the book that I linked to explain why minorities living in the suburbs have sentiments like those expressed in the article. DO YOU GET IT NOW???

Thejesus

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Send him all the hate mail you want."

^^^I say again, SARCASTICALLY, I must be racist to think you were suggesting that people send him hate mail.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?????

Umcs

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, guys. Lay off the Starbucks.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I've never to been to one...I don't see the point in paying $6 for a coffee, especially since I don't like coffee much...

I'm just a dick

Umcs

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dirty Commie coffee-haters.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^it tastes good, but it makes me feel like shit

Umcs

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you're still a dirty Commie coffee-hater then.

Gnome

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IHD-
Please try not to put words, or sentiments, in my mouth. This entire thread is based on Dr. Verdun's experiences in Bloomfield Hills, moreover, the article also interviewed Mrs. Dalton in Grosse Pointe who seemed pleased that her son could now ride around the block on his bike without fear of being harmed.

You, dear IHD, don't know me. You don't know if I'm black, or if my children are black, you attack based solely on your own subjective reality. I take offense at your attack, at your tone, and most of all at suggesting anyone should send hate mail to Dr. Verdun.

Your inappropriate suggestion is not given a pass with a later, "I'm being sarcastic". You were being a lot of things.

But sarcastic wasn't one of them. Go throw your grapes at someone else.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't know if I'm black, or if my children are black, you attack based solely on your own subjective reality.

You made comments essentially belittling this man's own personal experiences as a minority living in a predominantly white environment. I could really care less whether your feelings are hurt or not.

Gnome

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made no such comments. You are mis-informed and you spread mis-information. You don't discuss, you shout. You filter out the truth in any situation and distort just about everything.

I would feel sorry for you, but I don't see how having any feelings for you would be in my best interest.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made no such comments. You are mis-informed and you spread mis-information. You don't discuss, you shout. You filter out the truth in any situation and distort just about everything.

It's a bit comical how whenever some of you get called out on saying something racially insensitive (on DetroitYes? No way!), you revert to painting the messenger as a radical or extremist. Frankly, there is nothing to discuss. If you don't get it by now then there is nothing I can say here that will make you understand what you did. So whatever, I don't care if your feelings are hurt.

Gnome

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did I write that was in any way racially insensitive? Prove it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.