Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » West Riverwalk « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't something be better than nothing? Currently west of the Riverfront Towers there is an asphalt path next to the river, that runs to 12th street. Next to the path is a slice of grass,then a fence. Sort of low budget version of the East Riverwalk. Couldn't they put in a couple benches and trashcans and a security guard for cheap? This would be temporary while they work on their 5-year $50 million plan.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the point? Few people live on that part of the riverfront. I'd rather them just wait until they start the redevelopment and save the money for elsewhere.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billk, I personally think the city should widen W. Jefferson and extended it to the Ambassador Bridge.

But keep the area between the river and W. Jefferson clear for the park.....not like the east bank.

Detroit could even build a new dock, outdoor theatre, museum, fountain, ect....something that will bring more people to the river.

Commission Santiago Calavara, or Frank Gentry to build something that will take the residents breathe away like the Milwaukee Art Museum, NYC transit hub ect....

Detroiters are so used to things the way they ARE; "If it aint broke",
but in order for a city to grow it must constantly reinvent, reinvest.

Detroit is growing again, but it has to continue to invest in itself!

<313>

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billk, I personally think the city should widen W. Jefferson and extended it to the Ambassador Bridge.

But keep the area between the river and W. Jefferson clear for the park.....not like the east bank.

Detroit could even build a new dock, outdoor theatre, museum, fountain, ect....something that will bring more people to the river.

Commission Santiago Calavara, or Frank Gentry to build something that will take the residents breathe away like the Milwaukee Art Museum, NYC transit hub ect....

Detroiters are so used to things the way they ARE; "If it aint broke",
but in order for a city to grow it must constantly reinvent, reinvest.

Detroit is growing again, but it has to continue to invest in itself!

<313>

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there was some plan in place for the west riverfront. If I remember correctly something like the more active ,as in basketball courts and etc, version of the east side river walk. Is this still true?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calatrava

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gehry

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riverside Park at the foot of W. Grand Blvd. could be so cool if it wasn't full of crackheads and littered with garbage. Extending the riverwalk down to here should be the ultimate goal, but there are problems with bringing the walk under the bridge, which is heavily patrolled by Homeland Security.

I say save the money for something good if you're just going to rip it all up and rebuild it anyway.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I am not starting a debate, just correcting the misspelling. By the way, the city of Detroit doesn't commission works by well-known architects as Detroit wants to do its own thing and not be a status symbol, for better or worse...

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I always thought the west side of the river had the greatest potential for new developement and population growth. Plus, the bridge and Fort Wayne would be two great assets to that area.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a W. riverfront master plan that includes a continuation of the RW and development parcels that look to create high-rises from the current towers to the bridge.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go. Read about West Riverfront. Seems way down the road.

http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/index.asp?item=811&name=Wes t+Riverfront&site=5

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.