Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » I need photographs - Theodore Levin US Courthouse - (sneak peak of 3d building) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fattonyp
Username: Fattonyp

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys,

Work is going well recreating a section of old downtown detroit, but boy is it hard work.

I have been getting requests to show pictures of what we are doing. This is the current version of the now named Theodore Levin US courthouse.

courthouse

This picture has had all the nice sculptures taken out while we build it, these get put back on later.

postcard

The information we have is pretty good on the building apart from the bottom section. The black marble part of the building that runs along the complete bottom.

Some old drawings of the building have windows placed there, but all photos i can find are not low enough to show the bottom of the building.

If anyone is able to take a photo of the building, I would really appreciate it. Idealy a photo with people walking by past the building to get a good sense of scale of the windows.

Also any nice clear photos of the reliefs on the building would be good, head on facing them preferably.

Thanks for your help.

Fattonyp

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh i forgot, yep will pay for good photo :-) hehe kind of silly to forget that part. but hey im broke so cant pay a great deal but hopefully some cash and the desire to get parts of the city's history preserved forever will be incentive enough to help =D

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you searched www.flickr.com? I know that there are some detail shots there somewhere. I think they were in a set of photos about the Lafayette Building.

For photos of the base, somewhere on this site is a thread about the filming of Transformers, which should have what you're looking for.

What are you recreating the buildings for?

Me and some other people are remaking Detroit for SimCity 4. There's a thread about it -> http://www.simtropolis.com/for um/messageview.cfm?catid=37&th readid=85962 I know how big of a pain getting reference photos can be, I've made threads like this before.

Also, the limestone blocks aren't lined up right on the building, which also makes me think that not everything is proportioned correctly (although it looks fine). For buildings with such a simple face I think it's important to get things lined up right. And they just cleaned the building not too long ago, and it's still looking pretty clean.

What program are you using?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw, how would I download some of these buildings you've created to my Sim City 4? Is that even possible?

Jasoncw

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes!

http://www.simtropolis.com/ste x/index.cfm?page=1&keyword=BSP &type=all

After you download it, unzip it, and put what you want in my documents/simcity 4/plugins (or whatever that folder is), and they should appear in your game. There is a readme which you can read for more detailed information.

Those are the finished ones. There are a lot more that I'm making (Chase Tower, 211 W Fort, Penobscot Building, One Woodward Avenue) that are still in progress, and other people are making more, including some non-Detroit Michigan landmarks.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fattonyp, not sure if this has been posted or not but what program to you use? Rhino?

(Message edited by hans57 on October 15, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3790
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, thanks Jason. Is that the page where additional updates that you're working on will be posted?

Jasoncw

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep! And actually, Chase Tower will be released at the end of this month. Someone else is making the McNamara Fed Building, which will also be released at the end of this month. The same person also made a Happy's Pizza, which, will also be released at the end of this month! :-)

Fattonyp

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Guys thanks for the posts.

Im creating the buildings for an online computer game set in detroit during the roaring 40s. Which makes it all abit harder as a lot of the buildings no longer exist.

I am using 3D world Studio and Constructor. Unfortunately these are for a First Person perspective which means I have to try and balance detail with data size. At first we are just trying to create the exteriors and then later create a certain amount of the interior to be explored.

Jason, can u shoot me a mail so we can talk further. Think we may have many funny stories about recreating detroit we can share :-)

What program do you use for your buildings?

mine is mawebring (at) yahoo (dot) com

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. The relief sculpture is by Parducci, so I'm the person that you need to talk to. However swapping pictures here is not really possible, so send an email to eeklon at yahoo. c o m and mention Levin court house in the subject and let's see what can be done. Einar aka carptrash

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eeeeek

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was taken about a year ago.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eeeeeeeeeek indeed!!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A blast from the past!! Nice!!

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple of others. If you need hi-res versions, post your e-mail and I will send them to you.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His e-mail is mawebring (at) yahoo (dot) com

Fattonyp

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks guys, yep thats my mail mawebring (at) yahoo (dot) com

Hardhat, thanks for the pics I will look forward to getting the hires ones in the mail. Life saver.

Carpcrash, thanks man, sending a mail your way.

Jason, ta man. Mailed u back.

Spirit, hehe whats eeeek mean?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.