Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cops walking the beat? » Archive through October 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the name, but can't picture him. Darn....the fog of time gets foggier every day......

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936: please keep the stories coming! I agree with Ravine that you definitely do need to write a book.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the insight Ray1936!

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of us 60+ the important thing is to realize the days change and we realize there is a fog. We'll have to worry when we don't know what day it is or "What the hell is fog?"

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ray1936 - please write a book. I will buy it :-)

in the meantime, keep sharing stories

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Motor stories stick out from others??

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news officers are visible on the street. Whats is kind of sad is that cops doing their jobs gets news as something surprising.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd think that because of gas prices there would be more cops walking their beats as opposed to driving. I've seen them on bikes as far north as 7 mile.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised to see police on the beat when I moved to Chicago. I wasn't from Detroit proper, but was there a lot, and never saw them outside, unless directing traffic.

Here, the guy in my neighborhood is probably 65 years old, but hey...he's got eyes, a badge, a radio, and a gun, and that's what counts.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motor stories, Karl? Oh, yeah!

In early 1965 I really got tired of working the midnight shift (12 M - 8:00 a.m.) every third month, so I put in a transfer to the Motorcycle Traffic Bureau (as it was then called). In March the transfer came through, and started motorcycle training in April.

There were twelve of us, and had the Lee Marvin movie come out a decade earlier, I'm sure we'd of been called the dirty dozen. Twelve Harleys were stripped down to the bare minimum and taken to the water intake grounds on Belle Isle by the old timers for us. So, on April, 1965, on beautiful Belle Isle, I sat on a motorcycle for the first time and started thinking maybe midnights weren't so bad after all.

The bike, all 1200 cc's of it, seemed to weigh a ton. Fortunately, among the few things left on the bike were the crash, or rocker, bars. If you did drop it on its side, you could easily rock it on the crash bars and pop it back up without too much trouble.

It was four weeks of training, and it was run like a boot camp, with the drill instructors being like drill instructors are supposed to be. Infractions meant pushups in the mud, of which there seemed to be plenty. After the first day, I got home about 5:00 p.m., filled the tub with hot water, and just stayed there for an hour. My wife still kids me about it.

Soon we were moving along pretty good, though. We learned to do square corners (locking up the rear brake and skidding it 90 degrees) and learning NOT to use the front brake alone. We had races. SLOW races. Last one across the finish line was the winner. That's the real test of a bike rider. Anyone can go fast. Only a pro can creep. Oh...if your foot went down, you were disqualified. Any of you bike riders out there...if you want to improve your handling skills, practice slow riding.

Later on, we drove the bikes into the Detroit River up to the axles to learn how to handle water. I figured if I kept my wheels in the track of the guy ahead of me, I'd be okay. But my crash bar struck a submerged rock, and the next thing I knew I was headed for Canada. The bike finally went down, and if anyone wants to know how cold the Detroit River is in April, just ask me.

Those old Harleys were kick starters, and on a cold day, it took a helluva kick to get 'em going in the morning. I look at today's motor officers with their push-button starting and think to myself, "candy-ass"...... They also had the foot clutch and hand shift instead of foot shift and hand clutch like today. Made for a real delicate touch making a left from behind a car, because your left foot was on the clutch; you couldn't drop it. But today's bikes make more sense.

We did our hill climbing out at Rouge Park. Going up the hill wasn't hard, and going down was real easy. But then we had to go 3/4ths up the hill, make a U turn by turning left, and come back down. With that left hand foot clutch, that was a bear. One of our guys, Phil Arreola, lost it, went down and off the bike. He stood up only to realize his bike was still upright and coming downhill right at him. I never saw a guy move faster downhill in all my life. Phil later became the Chief of Police in Milwaukee, and had that job when the Jeffrey Dahmer case broke. Phil didn't last long there.

The last two days in training saw us back in uniform on our bikes, all put back together with the windshield, saddlebags, etc. The entire class was sent out to one beat just to get used to mixing in traffic. The beat they selected was Davison, up around McNichols, on the east side. The beat was only two miles long, so imagine seeing twelve motorcycle officers (plus three drill instructors on cycles) in a two-mile stretch. Man, Detroiters were totally GOOD drivers that day on E. Davison.

That month of motorcycle training is among those that really stand out in my mind on reflection. I stayed there for six years, and looked forward to going to work each day. You can't ask for much better than that.

cycle training on belle isle

Stinger4me

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you there during the time Gene Mozel was there?

Stinger

Ray1936

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, big Mo was there. He was on a different shift than mine, though.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Ray36---You had better get this guy off the computer. He may come back here and sign up for another stint. He is one fired up cop!
KQA414 --- all the way.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like George Rawls, midnight dispatcher on the eastern district, Precincts 5, 7 and 15, Okay Pal.

One of the finest examples of motorcycle riding I ever witnessed was the MTB Drill Team put on the exhibition in front of Police Headquarters. It was very impressive. The two lines of motorcycles doing the serpentine is something to behold as was the charge.

I recall Ron Fournier who worked at MTB. Quite a fine gentleman.

Stinger

Karl_jr

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again a great story Ray, thanks for sharing. Where were you assigned during the riots?

(Message edited by karl jr. on October 11, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger, Ron was one of the biggest, strongest guys I ever met. When he started a Harley with the old kick pedal, he didn't bring his foot down on the pedal, he just grabbed the handlebars and jerked the bike up to him.

Well, no, he didn't really, but we all used to say he could.

Karl, I was at Motor during the riots. But I won't talk about the riots. It was the week Detroit died, and I'll not dwell on that.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was a guy at MTB and his name may have been Jon Pomela. They lived on St. Marys. I knew Austgen after he left MTB, I don't think he did the bikes though.

Lefty2

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ray1936, from someone i heard from, different station, time maybe?
Did you ever have to be present at a New Years gun welcoming at a station. Maybe a duck and hide situation.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True enough Ray, I'll respect that. It really was the week Detroit died. Did you ever know "Smitty" at motor? I remember My brother said when he was working newyears eve in a motor car they would stay under the overpasses until it calmed down.

(Message edited by karl_jr. on October 11, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon Pomella was called Crusher. Another big guy. Austgen I didn't know. And Lefty, you've got me there so far.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, how much did you have with the guys from the Mounted barns at Rouge Park. The toboggan hills were only a short distance from them. The name Bob Manor sticks out in my mind, think he was at Motor for a bit.

Stinger

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey can you guys all get a room or something?

Lefty2

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

turn the channel if the program doesn't suit you.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gal

Ray1936

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't please everyone. :-)

Didn't have much to do with mounted, although I did pick up a horseshoe from the barns just before I retired. Had it chrome plated, and it hangs out on my patio today. Nice souvenir.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the spring when the bikes came back out, they might turn off the ignition while driving and then hit the key. That loud pop usually made the horses jump.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread! Very interesting reading...

Ray: Did you know Ed Ploe? He's my best friend's dad.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There may not be a million stories out there but there are quite a few. I have to agree with Kathleen, interesting stories.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your stories Ray, I appreciate them.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray, did you know a guy named Jim Nichol? When I worked at the DMC, he was a retired Detroit cop, and said he worked motorcycles.