Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Nathaniel Abraham's new rap « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV has a tape of Nathaniel talking some real street stuff! Tomorrow at 11!

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you see the news tonight?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea what is going on in this thread

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that after the NAACP helps him get out of jail, and later tries to bury the N-word from usage, Nathaniel finds it necessary to use it in his recordings.

I am not a fan of rap music in any form, and gangsta rap offends me even more. Seems like he might have found a better way to get his "positive message"(?) across.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap is the worst "art form" I can possibly imagine. Blatant thievery of the beats ("Funky Drummer," anyone?) and it doesn't even have a decipherable rhythm anymore. It's gibberish. Kanye West pays Otis Redding's estate to sample a song, rap some garbage over it, and then have the nerve to take credit for it? And I'm supposed to admire someone like that? Because he's so very gifted?

Man, the bar has been lowered so far, practically any idiot can have a hit record these days.

Otis Redding is spinning in his grave.
And so is MLK.

Brushparkbub
Username: Brushparkbub

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

elvis stole all kinds of music from black people and made it popular. so what is your problem with kanye? music has always been about using other peoples ideas and adding/subtracting whatever you have to offer.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap is a form of music. Since most of the people who like it are younger than me (by quite a bit), it follows naturally that most people my age hate it. Thus it ever goes.

My problem with this thread is who it's about. Guy commits murder at age, what, eleven, gets out and decides he's a rapper? Sheesh. Nathaniel, go out and get a damn job like the rest of us.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like hip hop. I like old-school rap. Typically, those artists take a very small part of a song and use it like an instrument. A "sample". They add their own variations. This is making music, in my opinion.

What kills me are songs that are simply rapped over. Nothing changes, but the words. Who is surprised when you take a number one hit from 1977, remove vocals, rap about how much shit you have, and it becomes a hit in 2007?

As far as Nate Abraham, if I was his victim's father, I'd sue the crap out of him. If OJ can pay for a murder he was proven innocent of, this kid should pay his whole working life for one we did commit.

Abracadabra

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, anybody have a link for this song?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abra,

My favorite example of what you complain about was when Coolio was pissed off at Weird Al Yankovic about "Amish Paradise" which was a spoof of "Gangsta's Paradise". The joke was that Coolio's song was, itself, just sampled from a Stevie Wonder song from "Songs in the Key of Life". So Coolio was bitching that Weird Al had stolen, from him, something he did not actually own. Typical, sadly, of the genre.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6119
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still not sure what the Channel 4 piece was about in the sense were they praising the fact that he's trying to turn his life around by being a positive role model (speaking to kids about making the right choices) or a negative one by dropping the infamous N word 250 times in his new album?

If he's really trying to turn his life around, then bravo and maybe it should be a feel good piece but the way they presented the segment, it seemed to play to both sides of the fence by choosing to pick on the content of his music.

Abracadabra

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, my complaint is that while he may be turning his life around, he still took another life. No matter what he does in his life now, it will not replace that fact. Even if he came up with a cure for cancer, I'd still like to see him swing. Nothing will replace the pain and anguish this family felt as a result of his actions. I really don't consider a sub-par rap album as turning ones' life around, anyhow.

Abracadabra

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor,
There are a million and one examples. Sean "whatever his nickname now is" Combs was only brought to light by paying for "Every Breath You Take" and, likely, killing off his top artist. MC Hammer raping "Super Freak". They all anger me beyond belief. The problem was personified in one of Combs' songs, "It's all about the Benjamins, baby." I just don't understand how people buy this shit.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 962
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kanye West pays Otis Redding's estate to sample a song, rap some garbage over it, and then have the nerve to take credit for it? And I'm supposed to admire someone like that? Because he's so very gifted?

So by that rationale, Led Zeppelin is absolute crap and as crappy and talentless as Kanye West. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out Howlin' Wolf's "Lemon Song," Willie Dixon's "You Need Love" and Jake Holmes' "Dazed and Confused."
But here's the big difference: Kanye West at least pays for the right to sample the song. Zeppelin not only didn't pay the artists they stole from, they had the frickin' balls to PUT THEIR OWN NAMES ON IT. The two most ridiculous examples are "Dazed and Confused" and "Lemon Song," which stole the riff and the lyrics from the Wolf but the band just slapped a different name on it.
Wow. I've never defended rap before. And I've never listened to Kanye West either.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's more on the "crappiness" of Zeppelin per your argument:
"Holmes has never received a songwriting credit or royalties from the band" (Led Zeppelin).

Read more on this fascinating story here: http://www.furious.com/PERFECT /jakeholmes.html
And here: http://www.furious.com/PERFECT /jimmypage.html

Thejesus

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As far as Nate Abraham, if I was his victim's father, I'd sue the crap out of him. If OJ can pay for a murder he was proven innocent of, this kid should pay his whole working life for one we did commit."

The statute of limitation to bring a claim for wrongful death is 3 years in Michigan...

I don't know if it tolls if the victim is under age at the time of death, but it probably doesn't given that the MI supreme court recently ruled in Trentadue v. Gorton that the 3 year limit stands even when the identity of the killer is not learned for several decades the death because of evidentiary concerns...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, my complaint is that while he may be turning his life around, he still took another life. No matter what he does in his life now, it will not replace that fact. Even if he came up with a cure for cancer, I'd still like to see him swing. Nothing will replace the pain and anguish this family felt as a result of his actions. I really don't consider a sub-par rap album as turning ones' life around, anyhow.

Wait. I generally agree with you, but that's a bit-o-grandstanding, don't you think? At the very least, it's irrational... So if he came up with a cure for cancer and extended the life of millions, perhaps billions, of people from now until the end of time, his record is still marred because of a mistake he made when he was 11? What about the soldiers in Iraq who have no intent to kill Iraqi civilians, but push the button that launches the rocket that incidentally kills hundreds of innocent kids? Are their records still marred as well?

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ video/14357829/index.html

here is the video clip...watch it first

Thejesus

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^omg...what a worthless piece of shit...

this idiot doesn't realize how lucky he is that he's not living out the rest of his life in prison...

you're back out in the free world you moron...now go be a productive member of society...go learn a valuable skill or something...

I say its a virtual guarantee that he's back in prison before he reaches his mid-20s...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Smogboy, my complaint is that while he may be turning his life around, he still took another life. No matter what he does in his life now, it will not replace that fact. Even if he came up with a cure for cancer, I'd still like to see him swing."

That seems a bit overboard. He was 11 years old when that happened.

http://info.detnews.com/dn/pix /2005/07/26/asec/a026-abrahamf ile-0705y_07-26-2005_GN7IECJ.j pg

11 year old kids are not adults and society never treats them as adult with this exception. With his record, he needed to be put into a system that could stop his spiral downwards. But the idea that he should die for what happened makes no more sense than saying a kid who accidently shoots a friend at 11 or causes an accident that leads to death at 11 should be put to death. Harsh.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a strange report from Channel 4. The use of the N-word in rap is a complicated enough social issue all by itself. Then when the station dumps in all the Nathaniel Abraham baggage, there was no way they were going to produce something coherent in the alloted 180 seconds.

What was the point? Ex-cons shouldn't rap? Ex-cons shouldn't use the N-word? Nobody should use the N-word? Ex-cons should get a "real" job? Mr. Abraham's painful inability to express himself very clearly when either speaking or rapping also made the report pretty muddled.

The whole thing was a mistake to produce. Special reports undertaken by local news outlets are best when they tackle straightforward factual matters, not nuanced social issues.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Abraham's painful inability to express himself very clearly when either speaking or rapping also made the report pretty muddled.
-------------
And the sad part of the whole thing is that Abraham is a college student..

now thats really sad.. Jane

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man i can't believe his rent is paid, that makes me sick

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a joke. This dude has a chance to make a difference in his life and he chooses to be another rapper in a business that is so saturated with wanna-be gangsters.......I hope that the young brother does himself good and learns to be a man before someone takes something dear to him.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You get popped
Don't say no names
We use niggas
for target practice
When we spray
those thangs"

Beautiful lyrics.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We role models," he says.
I'm absolutely sickened. No, Nathaniel, you are NOT a role model in any way.

btw, who decided he has a "rap career?" It's not a "career" unless you're making a living from it. Last I heard he was getting propped up by taxpayer dollars.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, it's wrong for him to go into a recording studio and express himself?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5065
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not wrong, if you're A. paying for it yourself and B. don't have the audacity to call yourself a "role model" for rapping about shooting people.
The only people who can see him as a "role model" are fellow punkass kids looking for a way to work the system.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck Nathaniel Abraham. The idiotic clown outfit he donned for his release from prison was totally deserving of all the ridicule it received, but I thought it was insufficient cause for concluding that the kid was a total asshole.
However, for this convicted killer to make a rap record about using "niggas for target practice," well, that is more cause than I needed.
I hope somebody shoots this loathsome little punk right in the ass.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*shaking my head*

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks to me like he just got one big free commercial.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I siding with English for this thread (from Nate to your opinions on rap).

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIRD

"Let God sort em out"

English
Username: English

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! I'm learning to choose my battles. There are only so many hours in the day. :-)

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fourth.

Maybe he'll be one of the "niggas used for target practice" (paraphrase) one day...

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does the media continue to follow this guy around and constantly update us?

Sadly, though, he's right.Thug rappers are role models to impressionable kids who find that fast-paced life the songs portray to be exciting.We're becoming a ghetto-ized nation as a result. It's crossing racial and socio-economic lines, and I do blame people like this who peddle thuggery and glorify illegitimacy to kids looking for something more exciting out of life. It's only growing. Welcome to our lawless future.

Ravine

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Hipgremlin makes a very valid point, regarding the cross-over aspect. (I am curious about what kind of reaction Arab-American parents have to this burgeoning mind-set.)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just leave the kid alone.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6690
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pimpin' G-Raping and ridin' dirty. That's Nathaniel Abraham living a thug life and maybe headed back to prison.

Once a "Menace 2 Society" always a "Menace 2 Society" He'll would be like the character in the movie O dog.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this country keeps this kind of crap going, pre civil rights history WILL repeat itself. Instead of burrying the N-word, this kind of lifestyle (so long as it is accepted) is burrying any progress that has been made in the last 50 years. Even more so, it is trumping all the efforts by the good people of the world who make it their life's mission to fight for equality and a better life for all minorities in America.

This kid had a multiple-year babysitting and is being spoon fed from the state after wipping his ass as training how to assimilate back into society...and this is the thanks we get. We're spinning our wheels and running out of gas, which is why I believe is something drastic doesn't change this social acceptance, there's going to be hell to pay...not just for a select people, but for the entire country.

There's a war in Iraq, but there's also one right in our own back yard. Guess where all the resources are going?

Ravine

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what Danny just said, but I think I probably agree with it.
Danny gives ya the straight shot.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There's a war in Iraq, but there's also one right in our own back yard. Guess where all the resources are going?

lol

Smogboy

Post Number: 6133
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just who were those coat-tail riding thug wanna-bes in the background during the segment? Talk about a dim witted glory seeking mob of yes-men. UGH!

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog - I felt the same way like thee fools are using you Nathaniel...prob telling ppl they were going to be on teh news that night

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This kid had a multiple-year babysitting and is being spoon fed from the state after wipping his ass as training how to assimilate back into society...

Do you really believe prison is meant to teach people how to assimilate back into society?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10520
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When can we start the crsuade against violent and ignorant lyrics in other genres of music?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of angry white folks on this thread all up in arms because they think their tax dollars are being wasted. Kind of funny. One wonders what the reactions would be if Mr. Abraham, the artist, had composed some sonnets in iambic pentameter or a piano ballad that touched on the same subject matter. Sheesh.

If only the same kind of thuggery and ignorant world views that emanate from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. produced similar vehement responses, I suspect our country and our planet would be in a much better place.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6136
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some of the people here would still have an issue with the lyrics- regardless of what genre of music it was played in. Dropping the N-word or the F-Bomb in the tone in which he used it in country, rap, techno, hip hop, rock, easy listening, bubble gum pop, classical, jazz or any other genre can be just as abrasive. There's still an underlying tone of anger & outward rebellion that still rattles people. And part of what gets some people is the fact that it's from someone who's killed before; I think the public would like to see a little more remorse & humility from this kid. Where's the penitence?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.