Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Howard Simon (ACLU), goin' strong in Fla. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Others with deep roots and solid memories will recall our longtime Michigan ACLU executive director (1974-97), who went south -- geographically speaking -- 10 years ago to head Florida's larger branch.

He's is the news there today for speaking out against a mezuzah nailed alongside the governor's office door. As The Miami Herald tells it, in part:
quote:

"A religious symbol is a religious symbol, whether it's Christian, Jewish or Muslim," said Howard Simon, executive director of the Florida chapter of the ACLU. "People have the right to put religious symbols on their own property; government's job is to stay neutral. I think what the governor has done is mistakenly given the imprimatur of state government endorsement to a Jewish religious symbol."

Bless you, Howard (now age 64)! Or should I say mazel tov?

Kary Moss carries the torch just as well, of course, but gives me a good feeling to see that name again . . .
. . . calling it as he must.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he might be needed in Berkley.
IMO, a local law requiring a Nativity scene at City Hall doesn't stand a chance in court, but hey, let 'em try.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this is the same Howard Simon who went ape when someone dared to challenge the placement of a menorah in the Ren Cen commons in pre-GM days? Age has brought maturity, it seems.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Looks like he might be needed in Berkley.
IMO, a local law requiring a Nativity scene at City Hall doesn't stand a chance in court, but hey, let 'em try.

If they include secular and non-religious symbols w/ it, it's fine. If the ACLU wants to go to court, I'm sure they'll win at the District Court level in Detroit, but they lose at the 6th Circuit level and at the Supreme Court.

See Lynch v. Donnelly 465 U.S. 668 (1984).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.