Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Huge new development in Troy? » Archive through October 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on channel 4's web site:

Kmart Headquarters Gets Go Ahead For Plans

Over $200 million in new investments. Hopefully metro Detroit is turning around.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmm.

Tasty Instant Urban! (tm).

As described to me, urban living without the urban problems.

"Loft" condos for 300-400k, and stores right there to create a walkable area - this also is to try to address one of the problems of the business centre there is that there is no atmosphere for traveling or international clients in Troy; and they won't be sending them to downtown Detroit.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6682
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Troy YES for Detroit NO! Troy gets a pseudo Downtown while Downtown Detroit still struggling to find attractable fancy retail.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Loft" condos for 300-400k

Is that a realistic estimate or more of a guestimate? I'm curious of who'd pay that much for a condo in Troy...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray that they're building a disney-downtown in troy? Puke. I'm putting my house up for sale...the tone of this video makes me sick. We're surrounded by imbeciles and idiots. I hate SE Michigan.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then why don't you leave?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10505
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Loft" condos for 300-400k

Is that a realistic estimate or more of a guestimate? I'm curious of who'd pay that much for a condo in Troy...

Depends entirely on the size and the ameneties. The aging population may want the convenience of condo while still staying close to their family.

quote:

the tone of this video makes me sick. We're surrounded by imbeciles and idiots. I hate SE Michigan.

Agreed.

quote:

Then why don't you leave?

Family

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that a realistic estimate or more of a guestimate? I'm curious of who'd pay that much for a condo in Troy.."

that seems pretty low for a condo in Troy, especially given the fact that its across the street from the Somerset mall...

They must not be very nice condos if they're only anticipated to sell for 300-400k

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the tone of this video makes me sick. We're surrounded by imbeciles and idiots. I hate SE Michigan."

what tone? do you think it a better idea to leave the former K-mart headquarters vacant...or even worse, re-lease it to another huge commercial tenant?

Housing and shopping is about the best thing they could have done for that site for everyone in the region...

what could they possibly have done with it that would have been better?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys crazy? This is the same thing with the West Bloomfield "downtown". Once again-- AT LEAST THEY ARE TRYING. Instead of a giant vacant office building, what do you want? More office buildings? A big box store, maybe?

The effort to create pockets of "urbanity" in suburbia may not be your idea of reality but at least they are bringing some kind of cohesion to these sprawling regions. Yes--this is not in Detroit. But the whole region is suffering, and if this will bring some people into Troy, and therefore more people into Metro Detroit, that means there will eventually be more people coming to the CoD as well. Don't be so pessimistic.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2921
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

considering the much more modest Monarch project is being down-scaled, i really don't see this succeeding at this level, especially in a town as dull as Troy

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second TJ's 2422. The video started with a dumb "The Promise Land" caption but after that it was a straight forward explanation of what what going to happen with the parcel and the reactions of a few residents. Was the "bad" part where they talked about all the new jobs? What should Troy do, refuse to approve anything for former K-Mart HQ until the whole CBD is built out?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the whole region is suffering, and if this will bring some people into Troy, and therefore more people into Metro Detroit, that means there will eventually be more people coming to the CoD as well. Don't be so pessimistic.

Wait, so a new condo development in Troy makes the region more attractive?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea I dont get all this hate. I agree obviously i'd much rather have all the retail and development go downtown, but what are these outlying communities supposed to do in the meantime? Just sit around and not develop anything or attempt to make their city more attractive? This is a free market (supposedly). The consumers will dictate what is feasible. Right?

Track75

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, there were some single family homes built near Big Beaver and John R a few years back. Terribly bland design, even by suburban subdivision standards. Basically a box with windows. Not huge square footage. Half had backyards facing the busy road. They sold quickly for $300K+. Selling the proposed condos shouldn't be a problem. Close to retail and restaurants, close to many workplaces, close to 75 and Somerset, excellent school system, low crime and low taxes.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, channel 4 makes this project sound like the hero that is going to save SE Michigan!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not huge square footage. Half had backyards facing the busy road. They sold quickly for $300K+. Selling the proposed condos shouldn't be a problem. Close to retail and restaurants, close to many workplaces, close to 75 and Somerset, excellent school system, low crime and low taxes.

I'm guessing those houses were marketed to a totally different clientele than someone who'd be interested in a loft/condo.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever Iheartthed, this is not just a condo development and you know it. Retail, an outdoor market, walkable streets with shopping, condos, "lofts", etc.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - I know plenty of people who live in the suburbs who yearn for some kind of urban living. Just spoke to the parents of my friends yesterday. They're conservative and they live in a huge house out in sprawling Commerce Twp. They're talking about buying a loft in Royal Oak or Detroit (you heard right!) because they want an urban life once the kids move away to college. There's plenty of demand for this type of thing.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're talking about buying a loft in Royal Oak or Detroit (you heard right!) because they want an urban life once the kids move away to college. There's plenty of demand for this type of thing.

Exactly my point! If they want high density, urban lifestyle they will move to Royal Oak, Ann Arbor or Detroit, not Troy. Troy has made a niche as a single family unit community, and it needs to keep working at that. There will always be a market for that and Troy fits the bill for it nicely.

Jt1

Post Number: 10506
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW, there were some single family homes built near Big Beaver and John R a few years back. Terribly bland design, even by suburban subdivision standards. Basically a box with windows. Not huge square footage. Half had backyards facing the busy road. They sold quickly for $300K+.

The real estate market here is vastly different than it was 2,3, 4 years ago.

Track75

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm guessing those houses were marketed to a totally different clientele than someone who'd be interested in a loft/condo.

Perhaps, perhaps not. My point was that I was surprised how easily a crappy development in Troy sold out. The proposed condos at the former KMart HQ should be a much easier sell.

quote:

PS - I know plenty of people who live in the suburbs who yearn for some kind of urban living. Just spoke to the parents of my friends yesterday. They're conservative and they live in a huge house out in sprawling Commerce Twp. They're talking about buying a loft in Royal Oak or Detroit (you heard right!) because they want an urban life once the kids move away to college. There's plenty of demand for this type of thing.

Yes, think empty-nester baby-boomers with lots of disposable income. It's a nationwide trend, not just here.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem, of course, is that those new empty nesters have to sell the nest before they can downsize.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on October 16, 2007)

Track75

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The real estate market here is vastly different than it was 2,3, 4 years ago.

Very true, but the point is that the market for real estate in Troy was/is pretty strong relative to other areas. The overall market is down in SE MI but some areas remain more attractive than others. Troy is one of those. Maybe not for many on this site, but there are plenty of other folks out there in the housing market.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy is a suburban wasteland. There is nothing remotely urban about traffic-choked, strip-malled Big Beaver Road.

For 300-400K, you could buy a nice house in Birmingham, a huge house in Royal Oak, or the best lofts in Royal Oak or Detroit.

Can you imagine someone bragging about their new loft on Big Beaver Road of all places? Screw NYC, London, Paris, I'm getting my urban fix down on the Beav.

Next up, Soho-style lofts on "urban chic" Hall Road.

Jt1

Post Number: 10508
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree about Troy remaining more attractive than others. I think that Troy is now facing much more competition from other neighborhoods with as much or more to offer. Troy has seen little to no population growth since 2000 (granted they are close to built out) but there are many areas like Novi, Macomb Township, etc that are seeing a lot of growth. Troy is competing with those areas and will lose to a decent number of people making the choice.

Before you attack I am not saying Troy is not appealing to many(nor am I comparing it to Detroit), I am just saying that it is losing it's luster on a comparative basis. It seems to me that Troy has some catching up to do to keep people around when they are deciding between Troy and other growth suburbs in the region.

According to SEMCOG Troy's household occupancy percentage went up from 2.8% to 3.9%.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, for 400k, I could own a house in Troy or Royal Oak. Why would I buy a fake-urban parking-lot condo at Big Beaver and Coolidge for the same price as a nice colonial on 4th St in R.O.?

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the point is that many of us here--myself included--would not want to buy a condo or loft in a faux-urban environment like the one coming on Big Beaver Rd. But suburbanites might like the idea, especially those not willing to make the leap to the D and want to stay close to Somerset or other major high-end amenities.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it. I think I will move there.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4352
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what if Troy's population isn't the same as it was seven years ago? Detroit has probably lost 150,000 or more residents since 2000. Why should anybody expect any Michigan city's population to stay the same or increase?

The fact that the population of the burbs are decreasing somewhat should come as no surprise after considering that the youth are abandoning Michigan for employment elsewhere. Furthermore, why should Michigan taxpayers keep having to pay more for college educations of its kids who will become economic refugees and live elsewhere? Just to keep to colleges open for its profs/employees in continuing to train workers for other states?

After a decade or two, though, expect large decreases in K-12 and college students when the missing youth generation leaving now become middle-aged in other states, but not here. How many empty schools will the teachers' unions insist not be closed and that the pupil/teacher ratios be decreased to ridiculously low, unsustainable numbers?