Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bridgework _ I-94 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is all this sudden work on bridges and their support structures on I-94 in any way related to that bridge that collapsed over in Minnesota a couple months ago?

It seems like they are working on a lot of those underpasses at the same time like we should know something.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think it could be. These sort of projects takes months, if not years to have planned.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 633
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea this bridge work has been going on for years they are in the last throws of it.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like it or hate it consider the massive investments in the regions freeway infrastructure in recent years. A whole new Lodge, repaved and new bridges on I94 from the farms of St Clair county to Ann Arbor. I 96 has been rebuilt in the city. M14 was re built. New Bridges on the Southfield. I75 downriver. M5 has been extended. Davison completely rebuilt. Van Dyke freeway extended. I bet in a year or two a big US23 rebuilding project will be announced. Not to mention other improvements to our larger surface streets. I dont think Michigans roads are as bad as they used to be.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may seem odd that the Detroit bridges over I-94 are being done after all the other rebuilding has been completed. But then again, for a while it appeared that the state was going to rebuild I-94 from I-96 in the west to Conner Ave. in the east.

The state was thinking about adding lanes to I-94. They did a study and determined how many parcels of land would have to be Eminent Domain'ed for a 5 lane I-94, and also how much land was needed for a 4 lane I-94. The 4 lane plan required far fewer added parcels, but at over $1 billion, it was an expensive expansion. So that plan has been shelved in these belt tightening years.

But this may explain why the central Detroit I-94 bridges are at the back end of the freeway bridge rebuilding program.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 17, 2007)

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next big Wayne County job is probably I-75 near the south county line next year.

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all i know about this roadwork on 94 is that it screws up my commute in both directions. can't wait for it to end.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gratiot ramps at I-94 were scheduled to open yesterday, but they just extended the closures for another 21 days.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What bothers me is that at 21 Mile on the eastbound exit there was a "fly off" ramp where you just merged at full speed onto the road. The state rebuilt that bridge and ramp last year. Now a new development is being built from Hall to 21 Mile Rd. and in order for the road to access 21 Mile they have taken out the fly off ramp to make room for the new road. First there is wasted money and now there is no fly off ramp! You know us evil minions of the suburbs cant live with out our high speed vehicular travel!

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this damn construction pissess me off. Can't they do this crap in the evening. When I lived on the east coast in NJ...they did most their construction on major roadways at night. I guess they don't want to do construction at night & cause less traffic during the day...that would be the smart thing to do. Up by 21 mile that is annoying that the ramps are gone for now.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5537
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I've unfortunately found out... they save the evenings and weekends for closures down to 1 lane! :-(

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

out west in portland they do all construction at night. it works quite well. we should be so lucky to have this done at night.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These places also probably have better roads than us too. You need to work Day and Night with Michigan's Asphalt and Concrete (throw in a combination of replacing old rusted pipes and the poor refixing they do afterwards).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.