Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Melvindale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite the bad news today from Melvindale I have always been interested by the little city. It always seemed like its own little city surrounded by the larger cities of Detroit, Dearborn, Allen Park etc. Any stories interesting facts anyone know about the little city. I know it used to be called Oakwood Heights.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4362
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakwood Heights Subdivision is still called that. It's located right next to the Detroit Salt Mine in Detroit.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 17, 2007)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY-

The link that you provided of the Oakwood Heights sub is not in Melvindale at all:it is in SW detroit.

Melvindale is a city of 2.2 square miles, and has almost always been known as the "Little city with a big heart" (at least the welcome signs said that when I was growing up). The city has, as it's boundries, Outer Drive, Schafer/Fort St., Greenfield/Allen Rd. and Enterprise Drive. There are a couple of small pockets, too.

Melvindale has a particularly blue collar feel to its make-up. It is occupied by many hard working individuals who are tethered to the surrounding automobile plants and manufacturing facilities that produce parts.

One particular fact that I remember while growing up there was that there are, or were, three times more bars than churches in the town!

Riley Plating is and has been a problem for the city for a number of years. Yesterday is just another example.

FES-
What else would you like to know?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10756
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was Melvin?!

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say as someone who grew up in the area and attended Melvindale schools, the smallness of the community fosters a lot of sentementality. Because of the very fact that you are surrounded by larger cities, that happens. I can tell you as a former athlete in the MHS system, you always had that inferiority complex with any other surrounding community or opponent, and that brought everyone closer together.

There's a certain feeling of commraderie between MHS grads. I'm living in Indianapolis currently, and I can tell you that if I were to meet another MHS grad, from any graduate class, there would be a sense of bonding happening.

BTW Plymouth, I'm coming up this weekend, and expect to make an appearance at Boomers on Saturday night. How will I know you?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4364
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakwood Heights might have been in unincorporated Melvindale before being in Detroit if Detroit annexed it afterwards. Detroit last annexed territory in 1927 or 1928. Many city boundaries were altered during the 1920s when most of the inner-ring burbs became cities--LP, Dearborn, Hamtramck, etc. For example, Delray, once an independent locality, was earlier absorbed into Detroit via annexation. And the last vestiges of Springwells were annexed by Dearborn and Detroit.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-

Nice to hear from you! I went to the pre-party there for the class of '77's 30th a couple of months back! I'll have to get creative on the recoginition. I'll post later with a clue as to what to look for.....

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who was Melvin?"

From the Detroit Almanac, the community is named "after an early resident, Melvin Wilkinson; formerly known as Oakwood Heights. Mevindale become a village in 1924 and a city in 1933."

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10781
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz rulez.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any place around called Bobdale??

Msuscorpio
Username: Msuscorpio

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work near Melvindale, and I hate that town...Seems to me that all it is, is a series of speed traps. The cops are d!cks there.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Melvindale was easier to pronounce than Wilkinsonton.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there Saturday Plymouth. Where were you?

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allen Park/Melvindale

The rivalry has been restored!

7 pm Friday Marc Egland Field

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Msuscorpio doesn't know how to drive a car and blames the cops!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't realize that Melvindale had cops. I never noticed any.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Fordson Island? Part of Dearborn, only accessible on land from Melvindale.

Deals21
Username: Deals21

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fordson Island, only accessible from Oakwood hts.
Small bridge off Height st.(Oakwood,Colonial,Luther than Height)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute ............small bridge off Height ( I've never noticed it ) would be in Detroit not Melvindale . That's no where near Melvindale ..............right ?

Deals21
Username: Deals21

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is right. NOT in Melvindale. It is in Detroit.(Oakwood) Taking Powell st. towards Height, the bridge would be off to the left across Height st.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.