Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » CVS to open in GM HQ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just passing through this morning and they finally put up a sign for that construction that's going on. CVS Pharmacy is prominently displayed and the progress looks to be going smoothly. I don't know nothing (duh) but it looks to be ready before Christmas. First Au Bon Pain, now CVS. Does GM and Campus Martius have some sort of feud going on?

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it makes sense - convenient. When employees need to run out to grab something quick (lunch, aspirin, soda or to quickly fill a prescription) it's much easier to run downstairs than to walk/drive to CM.

I don't think this will take away from the CVS location on Woodward.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6407
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what's going in on the second floor up by the Au Bon Pain & Post Office?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news, great for people working there and fills in a big space

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are speaking as if the decision to open these stores lies with the owner of the retail space...as if the Rec Cen is trying to compete with Campus Martius or something, so they decided to open the same stores...

THE STORES are the ones who make the decision as to where to locate themselves...

The Rec Cen does not decide to open their own CVS in an effort to try and compete with the CM CVS...the chains themselves identify under-served markets and open a location to tap those markets, and the chains' different locations aren't out to compete with each other

(Message edited by thejesus on October 17, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10514
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad that Calamata Market or whatever it was called by Potbelly closed (or is closing). I would prefer to support a store like that as opposed to a CVS.

Does anyone know if they are still open? I saw it was for sale a short time back but haven't been by in awhile.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A thread for a drug store opening? There are many drug stores downtown and throughout Detroit. I guess it's good news that another one is opening, but not really that big of a deal.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit is turning around baby!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. Hopefully, Walgreens will jump on the bandwagon and Rite-Aid will take the time to look back at us.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calumet is closing? I haven't been there in a while, but my buddy swung by there to buy some champagne just a few weeks ago. That would suck because they had a good cigar/wine/liquor selection. Not huge, but they had later hours than everyone else.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10515
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully I was mistaken. Please ignore my first post since I don;t want to hurt Calmet with any misinformation.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Great. Hopefully, Walgreens will jump on the bandwagon and Rite-Aid will take the time to look back at us.

exactly! nothing says 'detroit has risen' like suburban-esque drug store oversaturation. let there be a cvswalgreensriteaid on every corner!

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've changed my mind about CVS lately. I used to get my prescriptions at the store on E. Jefferson near downtown but the service was always lousy. I moved my prescriptions to the Rite Aid in Harbortown and they're great.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised at the prices at the CVS at Campus Martius lately. I've picked up toiletries when they've been on sale for less than on my latest trips to Kmart/Target in the 'burbs.

Now, I regularly check the CVS ads and shop there. Maybe some day the big retailers will catch on and realize that those of us downtown do have purchasing power and there are alternatives to driving 10-15 miles to shop at their stores.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CVS's everywhere! Im willing to bet they are going to open a CVS in my kitchen next.
Good news for more tenants in the RenCen but I would rather see a Rite Aid their stores are MUCH better.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bring back perry's and arbor's!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5185
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring Back Cunningham's!

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ here here!!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"bring back perry's and arbor's!"

says the person who is not old enough to remember Revco! :D

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

calumet is open and doing fine- for now. they have been here forever and i can't see them going away...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've changed my mind about CVS lately. I used to get my prescriptions at the store on E. Jefferson near downtown but the service was always lousy. I moved my prescriptions to the Rite Aid in Harbortown and they're great."

"CVS's everywhere! Im willing to bet they are going to open a CVS in my kitchen next.
Good news for more tenants in the RenCen but I would rather see a Rite Aid their stores are MUCH better."

Eh, I feel differently on the pharmacies. Walgreens and Rite-Aid's are crappy to me. The stores I've been to lack Customer Service and the products I want. Also, the Rite Aid's and Walgreens always seemed dirtier and junkier to me. CVS always have kind Pharmacist, good customer service and the items I want. Like I said in the Wal-Mart thread in Non-Detroit, I guess it's all in personal preference.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJ, i think you have me confused with someone else; i've never been apart of any discussion regarding revco.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RenCen used to have a Rite Aid and a Shapero's (division of Cunnigham's I think). I think a clerk was stabbed at Shaperos in the early 1980s.

Calumet will survive, I think. They are probably at their fifth or sixth location in the Ren Cen.

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited the CVS at Campus Martius for the first time last week, and I was amazed at how friendly the service was there. So much better than the one by my house in the burbs!

I think the CVS opening at the RenCen is good news (wish it was an Arbor's or Perry's though), and I definitely don't think you have to worry about it competing with CM. Consider how closely spaced these stores are in the burbs. Nothing to worry about.

(Message edited by locano on October 17, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont know what you are talking about, but the woman that is always at the register each time ive been to that CVS is so unenthusiastic, lethargic, and rude that it makes me remember why no one wants to open up anything in detroit.

you cant find workers that can pass a drug/background check, and the ones that do are like the lady at the register

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

each time ive been to that CVS is so unenthusiastic, lethargic, and rude that it makes me remember why no one wants to open up anything in detroit.

I can't see how her ennui relates to Detroit; most anywhere you go, you'll find cashiers at those places less than enthused. Who wants to ring up Preparation H every day?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that is certainly the very worst Ive ever seen. And its not like shes just having a bad day, it is every time I have been in their. I worked through high school at Meijer and had to deal with that kind of stuff, but even our rudest cashiers were nothing like this.

Its definitely a factor in businesses growing in detroit. many companies have stated it is too hard to find proper employees (even for these minimum wage jobs), and of course the fact that you have to have security all of the place

Detroitrise

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its definitely a factor in businesses growing in detroit. many companies have stated it is too hard to find proper employees (even for these minimum wage jobs), and of course the fact that you have to have security all of the place"

You do have a point. I've noticed that the chain stores that are ran in the city are poorly managed and maintained compared to the locations in the suburbs. However, I wouldn't judge a store just on it's cashiers. That CVS is very clean, well stocked and comfortable in general. As long as the cashiers can count and have etiquette, they can act as excited or down as they want.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed about 6 corporate suits from CVS milling about a new CVS north of Utica. I can't imagine why there'd be 6 of them there at once unless they were in the area for something else. The staff was acting like they were in the presence of the Pope or something. Maybe there was a big meeting today.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an employee at the Rencen I can say that the input I've heard has been positive. The biggest dissapointment has been the fact that it does not appear to be a 24-hour store.It sure beats that empty space that greeted everyone getting off of the people mover

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't see how her ennui relates to Detroit; most anywhere you go, you'll find cashiers at those places less than enthused. Who wants to ring up Preparation H every day?

Ringing up Preparation H all day might not be exciting, but if that is your job you can make it pleasant or unpleasant. If a cashier or other customer-service person goes about their business with a scowl on thier face and an unfriendly manner, they only have themselves to blame for hating their job, because that grumpiness will be returned to them. A friendly face at the register will usually get a friendly response from the customer.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are there quite a few overnight employees at the ren cen?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"are there quite a few overnight employees at the ren cen?"

Janitorial, security and parking are 24 hour operations.
Then there's the Marriott. Their store closes before midnight, so if you're a hotel guest and need something late at night, good luck.

I'm not saying it SHOULD be a 24 hour store, I'm just saying that seems to be the biggest dissapointment people have expressed to me in conversation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.