Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Best TV reporter in Detroit » Archive through October 03, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw Justin Ryan, Fox2's new weatherman interviewing the mayor of Warren. How old is that guy (Ryan)?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old is he???

(Message edited by sstashmoo on September 21, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't wanna knock Justin Ryan too much, he is a young guy and seems excited. I think he had his big break during the nasty storms that came through and created the tornado in Fenton, that's the first time I saw him. But I was glad to see Ben Bailey back this morning.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott Lewis gets my vote for the best reporter. We can all thank Lewis for exposing Bates and in getting the FBI on the case.

good job Scott!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Home/Detail?contentI d=4411213&version=7&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1. 1

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070921/NEW S01/709210310/1001

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erin Nicole on Channel 7. Oh wait, she's the worst on the news.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, you new-schoolers; the aforementioned pretty boys & girls (not you, Billy-Boy) ain't got nothing on good old Jack LeGoff & John Kelly.

PS What ever happened to Dave Diles?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lila Lazarus - Health Reporter on Fox2.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2653
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lila Lazarus is a bad biker mama. Don't piss her off.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the contrary, Erin Nicole is very entertaining & HOT TOO!!!!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the best TV reporter in Detroit are Roger Webber, Art Edwards, Rod Meloni, Cheryl Chodun, and this lady on WJBK I can't remember.

The best forecaster is Chuck Gaidica hands down.

The best Traffic reporter is Erin Nicole for looks and Gail Anderson overall.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5954
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering who the senior TV personality in Detroit is now. Would it be Jerry Hodak? Or is there somebody that's been around longer?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 816
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik Smith startrd at WXYZ in 1962 as an ET man, playing the sound effects records for Johnny Ginger. Hodak first hit the airwaves in 1965.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik Smith is the oldest one, although Jerry Hodak would be a close second.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn it Ed, you beat me to it (lol).

Falstaff

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote remains for Mara MacDonald at WDIV.

She is a very solid reporter, as seen by these examples:

Police: Doctor Records Illegally Dumped, Burned

Man Arrested Because Of His Name

Rescue 4 Undercover: Would Your Children Talk To Strangers?

(Message edited by Falstaff on September 22, 2007)

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just saw Justin Ryan, Fox2's new weatherman interviewing the mayor of Warren. How old is that guy (Ryan)?

What happened to Wyatt Everheart?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In his blog, he said that he was shifting most of his time and interest over to Politics.

Anyway, I saw some of Justin Ryan's forecast. Leave it to FOX 2 and their personalities to give the worst weather forecasts.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5956
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I wonder why people slam one station or another for their weather forecasts. Is there one station that TRULY makes more accurate forecasts than another? Isn't weather "forecasting" more of reporting on what the National Weather Service gives them as opposed to really hedging a bet one way or another?

It really isn't like predicting the outcome of the Lions/ Eagles game this Sunday is it? Is there a slant on weather? Is there an opinion truly wagered on weather??

And just how does Fox2's weather forecasts really any worse off than WDIV's or WXYZ's?? And if it is, how would one improve upon it? Again, my contention is that they all report it or they truly just guess at it based upon the available data.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 742
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And just how does Fox2's weather forecasts really any worse off than WDIV's or WXYZ's?? And if it is, how would one improve upon it?

It just always pisses me off how they glorify warm, sunny summer weather as the standard of ultimate happiness for everybody. I wanna yell at them "speak for yourself, I for one don't mind some rain, wind and thunderstorms at all". Just once I want to see a weather forecaster who has the guts to happily announce typical fall/winter weather with grey skies, heavy rainfall, snow etc. even if it doesn't please your common audience.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's weather forecasts, with the Dopplers and fancy graphics, aren't really any more accurate than when Sonny Eliot used to write the temperature on a map of Michigan with a piece of chalk. And he was a hell of a lot more entertaining.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV has not only the best weather equip, but the most original forecasts, not to mention they make all the calls for events around the area. WXYZ copies straight off the NWS (I can tell you that), although better equip than WDIV. WJBK, Ghetto Butterfly sums up best. There's a 100% chance of Heavy thunderstorms and Rich Lutherman pretty it up by saying "There may be a thundershower in the mix".

Smogboy, you're one of those "you can look out the window and see the weather" yuppies from what I can tell.

Besides, all the meteorologists look at the computer models (which wasn't emphasized as much during Sonny's time) and decide which one best meet the atmospheric conditions at the time. Even in the NWS discussion, they say depending on your model of choice. I like the detailed extended coverage stuff and WJBK just doesn't provide me with that.

Besides, why would you use your Traffic lady in substitue for a weather forecaster? Only at WJBK!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5957
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviosuly you're not able to tell much there, Detroitrise. Me? A "yuppie"- HA! and you have the nerve to talk about forecasting? Hoo boy.

Aren't you guys hanging just a bit too much of your daily existence on these "expert" meteorologists? I think we all look to them for some indication of the impending weather but I generally don't favor one over another because I've never found any of their long range forecasts to be accurate. I'll watch any one of them for the near immediate forecasts but what's wrong with that? If they obvioulsy don't float your boat with their fancy graphics or lack thereof, change the station.

Besides I thought this thread was about our favorite TV broadcaster and not a bash session on any particular people.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2's Lee Thomas' new book.
http://www.momentumbooks.com/

Falstaff

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mara MacDonald did a story last night about the drowned woman at the Bay View Yacht Club . MacDonald's compassion for the family really came across when she said:

"What mother can stand the idea of her child alone in the cold, dark water?"

I think that line is haunting.

(Message edited by Falstaff on September 26, 2007)

Falstaff

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox2 has a new reporter for their new 11PM "news edge".

Her name is Taryn Asher and if you close your eyes and listen, you'll swear that Fox2 hired hired Fran Drescher from "The Nanny" to cover news.

Hiring a "Nanny" like reporter is pretty darn edgy in my book.

Falstaff

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the "news edge" again last night.

Yuck, not all that edgy!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hiring a 'Nanny' like reporter is pretty darn edgy in my book."

^^^Sheesh, I didn't know the word British was so Forbidden this Forum.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Super Nanny, Detrotrise. LOL. Fran Drescher from the bad TV sitcom "The Nanny".

Detroitrise

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I don't watch that Nanny reality show. Super Nanny is much more entertaining. Thanks for correcting me Johnlodge.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody voted for former WDIV anchor Rich Mayk?