Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » High School, step up all you people who went to High School » Archive through September 21, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., that was weird. The post I just sneered at disappeared while I was sneering at it. Now, my above post refers to a post not found in evidence.
Oh well. Just take my word for it. It was real knuckle-dragger stuff.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

high thchool musthical? i'm thuch a thhhhan!

(Message edited by cabasse on September 19, 2007)

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav...you're thinking of Loma Knitting Mills on Wyoming and Thatcher, less than half a block south of Mumford High. They went out of business in the early 70s.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shot in the dark here...

Lansing Catholic Central; class of 2002!

I doubt there are any other Cougars out there, but if you are...Tom Lorenz, Kathy Pike, Ellen Burns are names that I'm sure you will never forget!

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL,Johnlodge! Your post brought back fond high school memories - we had complimentary wake-up calls, valet parking,and an in-house style consultant. Ah, the good old days . . .

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar:

yep, we called her Sgt Burns back in the '70's

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Heights Fairlane Christian/DWOCA class of 2001. The school closed forever at the close of the following school year. I was and am still pissed about that.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary....I don't know about Loma Mills; you may very well be correct....but, for some reason, I want to say that the place was called Art Knitting Mills (currently doing business in Southfield).

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loma Knitting Mills was literally a Mom-and-Pop operation owned by a nice Jewish couple (can't recall their name)...EVERYBODY who earned a varsity letter at Mumford in those days had their sweaters and jackets made there. I don't remember Art Knitting Mills, maybe somebody with an old phone directory could clear this up.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too attended St. Joe's High School on Gratiot & Jay Street. We were supposed to be the last graduating class but I think RC politics got in the way. They tore the school down in '64 and we were given the option of transferring to our rival DLS. We got a good education.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary....Yes, the folks that made my letter jacket were mos-def Jewish; the owner transcribed "Heart of Gold" into Hebrew for me and then sewed it into my jacket.

Thank you for solving the mystery - Loma Knitting Mills it is!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Kettering Class of '90

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Park High School,class of '75,great to be alive.OPHS were the redskins in those pre-pc days,kowabonga!Now the Knights.Hey didn't they fight during the crusades against the arabs?Maybe they should change their name back to ....?
Be cool,be calm,be kosher..hey,hey,hey..

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milford High Class of 97. Let's go Redskins!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Farmington Raiders

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE BIG N.O.(NORTHWESTERN HIGH)

'F'! MURRAY WRIGHT, OUR HOOD' RIVALS....I still remember when the 'T-Stones' turn our team bus over after we beat Murray in their own gym.

C-O-L-T-S COLTS COLTS COLTS!

blksoul-atcha!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE HIGH (GP High)

'F!' GP NORTH, OUR HOOD RIVALS. I remember when they grafitti-ed our stadium press box.

D-E-V-I-L-S...DEVILS DEVILS BLUE DEVILS.

preppy-atcha!

yeah...high school!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

newark reds in the house

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh. A Milford Foreskin graces us with his presence. ;) It's a shame that the politically correct nature had to get the best of your mascot. Aren't they the Mavericks now? How disappointing.

Lakeland class of '96 here; MSU class of 2000.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, Burns retired 2 years ago. my sister was a student aid in the office her senior year and said the faculty threw a "thank god she's gone" party.

Gnome

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar:
Sgt Burns came to CC after dropping out of the nunnery in 1974 and never seemed to be comfortable with her sexual ID. She took out her frustrations on the students and just about anyone who got in her way.

kinda sad, but when I think back to all those frustrated nuns I feel sorry for them. Imagine going through life without ever giving or having an orgasm.

It must be a lonely life.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

kinda sad, but when I think back to all those frustrated nuns I feel sorry for them. Imagine going through life without ever giving or having an orgasm

That's a big assumption to make. Were the nuns in the habit of discussing their private lives with you so you know this for a fact?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Were the nuns in the habit"

Badump-ching!

Pam

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol John. (Pun definitely not intended.)

Gnome

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Pam:

You are correct, I never discussed with my nuns whether or not they were strict adherents to the rules on chastity, but since they were good Catholic girls, one can honestly assume that they focused their energy into being pure in their vows. The alternative would be to assume they were liars, which I would never assume, would you?

From the Catholic Encyclopedia, "Celibacy is the renunciation of marriage implicitly or explicitly made, for the more perfect observance of chastity, by all those who receive the Sacrament of Orders in any of the higher grades."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathe n/03481a.htm

Pam

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the vow of chastity and celibacy rule out masturbation or having had sex before joining the order? Plus we only have to look at the priest scandals to see not everyone keeps vows that they make. People (and nuns) are only human.

Anyway, I would never feel sorry for nuns. What was the alternative when many joined- getting married young and having baby after baby? Celibacy was no doubt more appealing to some than relying on the rhythm method of family planning.

Gnome

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Catholic Encyclopedia link provided above, to wit: "Chastity is the virtue which excludes or moderates the indulgence of the sexual appetite. It is a form of the virtue of temperance, which controls according to right reason the desire for and use of those things which afford the greatest sensual pleasures. "

Pam, I believe women have - and have had - more choices in their lives than the two extremes you proffer: being a nun or giving birth to a litter of babies.

IMHO, a healthy and satisfied sex life is a key to being a happy person. Many nuns I knew were simply grumpy girls, and the older I get the more I think their frustrations were the reason they had such short tempers. Now, am I wrong in a specific instance? Sure, but am I correct in a general sense?

Personally, it has been my experience, that most folks have a nice smile after some private time with their mate.

Pedophile priests are a criminal subset of a larger issue.

Pam

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, I believe women have - and have had - more choices in their lives than the two extremes you proffer: being a nun or giving birth to a litter of babies.

Non-Catholic women may have had more choices but I don't believe ones that wished to be devout and follow the rules did historically. Things are different now with most American Catholics ignoring the no BC rule.

quote:

IMHO, a healthy and satisfied sex life is a key to being a happy person

I think your opinion is over simplified. I'm sorry you knew grumpy nuns, but you can't be sure this was the cause. Also I think many nuns probably did find happiness in helping others.

Gnome

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, it looks like you want some sort of argument. I'm afraid you'll have to go pick on someone else.

If you want to discuss women's rights or catholic guilt or some such thing, please start your own thread on one of those topics.

Meanwhile, unless you have something to contribute to the discussion of Lansing Catholic Central, or Sgt Burns, then I respectfully request you go pick someone else's scabs.

Mine have healed.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9837
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least some of you understand why this thread was created. For the rest of you, keep posting your HS romantacism as if it really means something.