Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Blacks feel isolated in the suburbs » Archive through October 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 910
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No, right now I'm leaning toward you being an idiot.

Explain to me what defining a racially mixed neighborhood has to do with my initial post.

Maybe you can find a link on the internet that would describe a racially balanced group is if you're that hard up for an answer.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk

You seem upset about being asked your opinion on what you would consider a racially balanced neighborhood. I am truly interested in that opinion.

You don't seem to be afraid of stating your opinion on other matters, so I never assumed you'd be afraid on this one.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You don't seem to be afraid of stating your opinion on other matters..."

Now I get it, this is carry over.
Someone must have had their feathers ruffled.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contrary to what others may feel about the suburbs. Most whites feel isolated as well. People can live next door to one another for 30 years and never speak over a few times. Just how it is. I think the feeling is, the less interaction, the better guarantee of peace?

This is another case of, "When in question, blame it on race"

Gnome

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rjk
Not at all, except maybe a tad for being called an idiot, but I can let that pass.

This whole discussion about the "51%" is based on turd thrown into the pool by Gianni. Gianni wrote, "A Detroit News poll taken in July found that 49 percent of whites said they would prefer to live in a mixed neighborhood". RJK, you know how those News poll work, they are based solely on those people that reply to their question. The News or Freep or WXYZ polls are not scientific. They are not objective results. They are completely inacurate; therefore, they have no meaning.

You, for some reason, seem to have placed an objective reality to an unscientific poll. To me that doesn't seem insightful, or even relivant to a discussion on the racial make-up of a neighborhood.

The original article about Dr. Verdun was about the lack of a racial balance in his neighborhood. He seems to think his neighbors don't like him - or his family - because they are white and he is black. Now, I'd certainly like for Dr. Verdun to be happy in his new home, and according to him a racially balanced neighborhood might make him feel more comfortable as long as that balance didn't include any crackheads.

Therefore, since you seem to have strong opinions, I just wanted to know what you consider a balanced neighborhood. Yet, you seem reluctant to grace us with that opinion, but you do seem willing to hang the chip on your shoulder on an unscientific poll that might - or might not - have appeared in the Detroit News.

That isn't a carry over, no feathers involved, unless they are chicken feathers.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The News or Freep or WXYZ polls are not scientific. They are not objective results. They are completely inacurate; therefore, they have no meaning.

Not to mention that a good portion of that 51% could have said they have no preference either way.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"A Detroit News poll taken in July found that 49 percent of whites said they would prefer to live in a mixed neighborhood"

That means 51% admit that they do NOT prefer to live in a mixed neighborhood..."

Maybe they wanted to live in an all black neighborhood?
:-)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Contrary to what others may feel about the suburbs. Most whites feel isolated as well. People can live next door to one another for 30 years and never speak over a few times."

----------------------
^^^
It's one thing to not speak to your neighbors just 'cause and another to feel like they don't want you in there.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbors are white and I don't want them here.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people want to raise their kids in safety no matter where that is. I don't diss anyone moving to a better hood to raise kids and good schools, thats why the mexicans move here and the rest of the world.
the US is the best country ever.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5160
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

*cough*bullshit!*cough*

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on October 15, 2007)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3890
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What country is better Detroit_stylin?

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a minority that recently moved to an inner ring suburb for the same reason that many others do: the school system.
I cant really say that we feel isolated. Those families that do must continually seeking appreciation or connection to the neighborhood residents.
We speak to the neighbors, but thats about it. I didnt move for "kum-bay-ah"!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone is welcome to move out of the US, but you know they won't! why? because the US is the best place to live.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

*cough*bullshit!*cough*

Then leave! What's bullshit is that you enjoy all of the benefits of living here and then spout such shit out. If you don't like where you're at, don't be a bitch and complain, just leave like a man and go wherever it is you think is better. Instead, you and people like you keep living here and whine and bitch about this and that. I think this general philosophy fits on all levels. If you aren't having fun at a party, don't sit and complain. Just leave. Same thing if you live in a city that you don't like. Or a country. If you think there is some place better, that's great. I don't think there's anything wrong with you thinking it, but as soon as you start saying it, as someone "hearing it", I'm thinking you sound like a whining, complaining bitch who should just shut up and move to where ever it is you think is better. That way we'd both be happier.

Oh, and one last point- I don't think people should automatically just leave a place if they think things aren't being run right. I think working to change a system can be a great thing. I don't know of any municipalities or countries, the city of Detroit, the state of Michigan, and the United States of America included, that couldn't use change. But do it on a positive level, not a negative one. Your comments are just negative; they don't help change anything, they just try to shoot down the country that is giving you so much right now, and that's what I find so unrespectable.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It amazes me when 'basic white people' use that old tired sentiment, 'If you don't like it here leave'___The arrogance and hubris of 'basic white people' to project themselves as 'the best' because someone ain't buying 'amerikkkas' 'pea soup' lie. Perhaps some would trade the 'pea soup' in for God given birth right!__then too, I suppose if I was part of a 'privileged society', I would think that this 'kkkountry' is 'the best' as well__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF are "Basic white people"?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about an overreaction.

Curious, how many people can say they have lived overseas? Or do the defensive comments regarding Detroit_stylins 3 words come from just years of living in the United States?

I cant complain one bit about growing up in the United States. With that said I do plan on living in Europe and experiencing what they have to offer because it is different and that doesnt mean worse. Ive never really understood why or how Americans can say without a doubt that this country is the best, but thats just me.

Atwater

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It amazes me when 'basic white people' use that old tired sentiment, 'If you don't like it here leave'___The arrogance and hubris of 'basic white people' to project themselves as 'the best' because someone ain't buying 'amerikkkas' 'pea soup' lie. Perhaps some would trade the 'pea soup' in for God given birth right!__then too, I suppose if I was part of a 'privileged society', I would think that this 'kkkountry' is 'the best' as well__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!

I am not projecting myself as 'the best'. I simply know my options of where I can live in the world and am choosing to remain here in America, and as such, will refrain from shit-talking the place and saying there are better countries. It's about walking the walk if you talk the talk:

I don't want to walk the walk (move to another country), so I won't talk the talk (shit-talk America and say that there are better countries). You, Blksoul_x, and Detroit_stylin, are both talking the talk, but neither of you seems prepared to walk the walk.
And that, my friends, is just weak and unrespectable.

Atwater

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Talk about an overreaction.

Curious, how many people can say they have lived overseas? Or do the defensive comments regarding Detroit_stylins 3 words come from just years of living in the United States?

I cant complain one bit about growing up in the United States. With that said I do plan on living in Europe and experiencing what they have to offer because it is different and that doesnt mean worse. Ive never really understood why or how Americans can say without a doubt that this country is the best, but thats just me.

I have never lived overseas, so I really don't know if the US really is "the best country ever", to quote Lefty2. However, since I *don't know*, I don't go around making inflammatory remarks such as "*cough*bullshit!*cough*", to quote Detroit_stylin, after someone else says the US is "the best country ever".

I fully understand that he (Detroit_stylin) is certainly entitled to hold those views, as well as to express them, thanks to the 1st Amendment (an incredible benefit the US offers...).

What I find offensive, weak and unrespectable, however, is the idea that someone "knows" there is a better country, shit-talks the one they live in, yet keeps living there anyway, by choice. It's talking the talk but not walking the walk, and it's sheer negativity as opposed to positivity which could be productive in changing the place.

I say, let people think it; let them say it; and then let them follow up with like action and leave the place. Otherwise, they should keep their deedless words and negativity to themselves.

Southen

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got all that from three words? Why dont you wait for a follow up from Detroit_stylin before blowing this way out of proportion by reading between the lines and making assumptions on what he wrote.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree, somewhat, with Stylin. It may not be the best county EVER. But I sure would buy "Best Country Currently". For all of it's flaws, at least we have things like internet forums, right to public demonstration, etc. that a lot of other countries do not have.

Gnome

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southern, There can be a lot of meaning in three words or less. Here are some examples:

Coke is it.
Fine Corinthian Leather.
Closer than wholesale.
Four More Years.
I do.
Not Guilty.
Any means necessary.
Burn, baby burn.
basic white people
final solution

e pluribus Unum

Still waiting on Mr. Ruffled feathers, cluck cluck.

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback you mentioned a few months ago that you were looking at an opportunity in BE did it pan out for you? what happened with that?

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa:
Why dont you like your white neighbors?

Southen

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome:
Youre right, there are instances where you can take something from three words. '*cough*bullshit!*cough*' on an internet forum isnt one of them. And even if it wasnt completely sarcastic, which im still not convinced it isnt, whats wrong with someone saying that they dont think the United States is the greatest country in the world? Are those suddenly fighting words? Im also curious as to how not believing the United States is the greatest is directly related to him not wanting to live here. Many people choose to live in Detroit knowing full well that the city isnt the greatest, but they still like the place.

I just dont see why soo many people are going this overboard over three little words, two of which were 'cough'.

But so far weve learned from those words that Detroit_stylin is:
*a deadbeat
*contributes nothing to society
*weak
*unrespectable
*negative whiney bitch

and all from '*cough*bullshit!*cough*'..... impressive

Gnome

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen,
Let's backtrack a tad. Lefty2 wrote that the US gives choice to people to live where - and with whom - they desire. Lefty2 opines,

"people want to raise their kids in safety no matter where that is. I don't diss anyone moving to a better hood to raise kids and good schools, thats why the mexicans move here and the rest of the world.
the US is the best country ever"

Detroit styling, seems to disagree, but instead of addressing the point of freedom of choice or contesting the fact that America is the world's favorite destination, DS responds like a 7th Grader in gym class.

DS, filets out three words, misses the entire point of Lefty2's post and casts a unsupported blanket aspersion on the entire nation.

Her attempt at a witty remark comes off like a fart in church.

The 'love it or leave it' crowd gets its back up because the stink of her three little words are offensive. Now, is America the best country ever? Maybe, maybe not. But for all our faults, it's pretty darn good, and the simple fact that folks come from all around the world to live here is evidence that the promise of the America Dream burns bright in the hearts of most immigrants.

three little words, yeah, they do make and impression.

A negative one.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He needs government handouts to enhance his life, so basically, hes sucking off the U.S. government and loving every minute of it. Sadly, the taxpayers/working stiffs have to go out everyday to finance this luxury that he feels "entitled" to because of his history.

People like him are the ones who take and take and contribute nothing to society. Aka, dead beats.. Jane

I thought he was a US Military Vet? Perhaps he is actually entitled to some "entitlements"!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, this has turned into a Non-Detroit topic because someone dislikes the USA. Fuck them. You all are avoiding the original point of this topic for some reason *Looks Suspiciously at Posters*

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever read "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?"