Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Huge new development in Troy? » Archive through October 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I should clarify...I hate channel 4. The promised land. I'm still irritated. Ugh.

No I take it back I hate SE Michigan. And Sirealone...JT1 said it best. Family. For me a job and investment as well.

What I should have said is that aside from our small enclave here (4 mile radius around cbd...maybe 5 mile), I hate it. As I said, we're surrounded by idiots.

Another reason this bothers me so is that it comes as the same time I hear 1001 Woodward is all screwed up. Someone said it here best...if you want urban, then there's plenty of opportunity...hello! I might as well build a 40 foot, fiberglass replica of a mountain in my back yard, get a waterfall going with a few evergreens and say, "I really wanted the feel of the country."

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it...what exactly is it that'd make some of you happy? Troy and the other suburbs to outright disappear? Maybe we should evaluate who the true "imbeciles and idiots" around here are.

Troy may be a "suburban wasteland", but to be blunt, I doubt they have to worry about the police response time, access to groceries/shopping and blight that still plagues much of Detroit. Boring? Yes. A good place to live? Depending on your position in life, absolutely.

My first impression is that this is a very well thought-out development that should fit well in Troy.

It's damned immature to call people idiots for preferring a different lifestyle than the one you chose for yourself. Some people prefer a suburban lifestyle instead of the urban lifestyle - and perhaps some prefer something in between. It makes the region more attractive because it may be exactly what its potential residents want. A person looking to live in one of these condos may not even consider one in the CBD of a big city.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well put, wazooty

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those condos will sell - and no, they shouldn't leave it vacant... Troy IS doing better than other areas, although hit as well with the economic malaise.

And as a business person, I completely see the market - and I know people who are excited about the development, since Troy wants to make itself more walkable (yes, it's a big initiative for the information of those forumers who don't travel there very often). I won't write it off, but to me, it won't ever have the charm of a Royal Oak, Birmingham, or yes, Downtown Detroit (a gritty charm, but charm I like nonetheless).

Detroit proper will never be on these peoples' radar in our lifetimes - I can't tell you how many times I've been told flat out that a client will NOT visit Detroit, period, exclamation point. So they want to try a little urban, they're going to build their own.

I do think it's funny that the plot is surrounded by seas of parking lots and suburban developments, however. It's a little urban-like island - because people, especially in this region, don't want "real" urban. It would mean that they'd have to interact with poor people - and in Troy, you don't have to do that. If you surround it with suburban development and big roads, you'll pretty well insulate it from "riff raff."

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2650
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt, no doubt there are lots of alternatives to Troy. The less built-out ones will see population growth that Troy can't match. Since average household size continues to decrease the population of a mature community like Troy will decrease even as the number of households stays the same or even goes up by a percent or two.

A couple things Troy has going for it compared to its "competition" is a more centralized location and a number of increasing affluent ethnic populations (several Asian ethnicities, Poles and other Euro ethnicities) that have converged in Troy.

What's the occupancy percentage you mentioned? Did you mean vacancy?

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the hostility aimed at this project.

Any major development in the region is good. It encourages growth.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any major development in the region is good. It encourages growth.

You aren't serious, are you? Metro Detroit hasn't grown in over 30 years. This won't change anything.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I should clarify...I hate channel 4. The promised land. I'm still irritated. Ugh.

No I take it back I hate SE Michigan.

LOL. Yeah, as much as I love Detroit, I don't regret leaving southeast Michigan one bit. Then I look at a list like this and realize all of the potential being squandered right there in my hometown:

http://www.iht.com/slideshows/ 2007/06/18/travel/web-0621Topt encities.php?index=0

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3795
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tone of the video is giddy. It's kind of weird, but whatever. I just can't believe they brought up Faneuil Hall in Boston.

The jobs and the fact that this will at least attempt to bring some density to that area make this a great thing. The transit links from that area to the city and other suburban areas are few and far between, though. Hopefully the creation of density will create an environment that will make transit practical.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ihearthed, I'm going to have to differ with you for a change.

Shiva is right; it IS growth because it creates jobs and is a product of outside investment.

I really only care about the region with respect to how Detroit can benefit from the region. Many Detroiters will be employed at this place, though, or building this place.

While the creation of new housing isn't the best thing in a region that is shrinking, this represents a consolidation toward the inner ring (Troy ain't the inner ring, but it's not Auburn Hills or Clarkston, either). The clientele will be the people who are buying sprawled-out condos that have been built over woodlands and marshes further out in Oakland County i.e. Rochester...this will ease the demand for new housing on the fringe by bringing these people into a higher density environment in a more established city. That can't be bad.

I don't see this development competing with redevlopments in Detroit. People who want to live in a loft in Midtown will see the obvious differences...same for people who want to live right downtown or in the upcoming east riverfront developments. This is a different animal, and probably won't detract from the pace of development in Detroit.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6688
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All is well in "Troytopolis" They get a pseudo downtown that would connect with the glass coated skyscrapers Somerset Mall and more fancy corporate owned big box stores and retail along Big Beaver Ave. This psuedo downtown may install some more fancy corporate owned big box stores and retail.

I can't want for " Troytopolis" looks like this.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rather than bemoan this, ask yourself one question:

Why can Troy have a development like this?

Your answer is because Detroit doesn't offer whatever it is the demographic this development is targeted at wants. If Detroit gets its act together, this development doesn't work.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rather than bemoan this, ask yourself one question:

Why can Troy have a development like this?

I think we have yet to see Troy successfully pull off a development like this...

Umcs

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it even proposed for Troy? The answer still remains the same.

Shiva

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shiva is right"

Mackinaw, you made my day. I never hear that!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it even proposed for Troy? The answer still remains the same.

As opposed to what, Novi? Farmington Hills? Macomb Township? Something like that doesn't belong in the city. What's your point?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, arent you in NYC? What does it matter to you?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, arent you in NYC? What does it matter to you?

I am. Do you live in Detroit?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3798
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmon folks. It is an asset to have people with NYC, DC, Chicago, etc perspective chime in. So leave him/her alone.

The question at hand is whether or not this is growth/good growth and in what ways might this benefit Detroit.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not benefiting Detroit (immediately), but it's benefiting Troy and in a way SE Michigan. It doesn't help any issues in the long term, but it is some type of major development that we haven't seen in a while and probably won't see for another period of time.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5164
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That still looks ugly and suburbanish...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suburbanish? What the hell does that mean? So I guess a burned out 20 floor skyscraper is Detroitish?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5166
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck you patrick....and I meant that with as much passion I was able to muster behind each keystroke with ya smart mouth ass....

Stay at the kids table while grown ups are talking...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the optimism and enthusiasm on this forum towards development

Umcs

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is ugly and suburbanish to someone who wants density in a downtown or "real urban living." A lot of people don't.

My point was why doesn't Detroit stop trying to be "real urban," heavy-density for everything and stop for two seconds to realize that diversity includes luring some of those surburbanites back to the city? We're not Chicago or San Francisco. Let's stop pretending we have to have that level of density in Detroit. There is certainly enough room for this type of development. The real question in my mind is what does Detroit need to do to get people to move back. Unless of course someone is telling me that Detroit doesn't want the type of people who want to live in Troy.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit has to look and feel like Troy to attract the type of people who want to live in Troy, then I think we can do without those people. Much of the appeal of Detroit for me derives from the fact that it is absolutely nothing like Troy.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umcs, Detroit lacks density. Compared to other cities of similar vintage which developed in the same eras, it is one of the least dense cities. I'd say the mile upon mile of single-family + multi-car garage neighborhoods Detroit has is sufficient to lure suburbanites. Lots of Detroit's new development is suburban, too. Check out some of the subdivisions south of Jefferson...they even have attached garages fronting the street!

Suburbanities don't come back because Detroit has poor public schools and is perceived as completely unsafe.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point was why doesn't Detroit stop trying to be "real urban," heavy-density for everything and stop for two seconds to realize that diversity includes luring some of those surburbanites back to the city? We're not Chicago or San Francisco. Let's stop pretending we have to have that level of density in Detroit. There is certainly enough room for this type of development. The real question in my mind is what does Detroit need to do to get people to move back. Unless of course someone is telling me that Detroit doesn't want the type of people who want to live in Troy.

I think Detroit has tried the low-density approach for the past 40-50 years and it hasn't exactly worked out too well...

Umcs

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack,

I'm very familiar with Detroit and its density. I'd agree that the mile upon mile of single-family+multi-care garages is merely a mirror image of what you find in Troy, Warren, Sterling Heights, Livonia, Dearborn, Melvindale, and every other suburb.

I'm trying to say that Detroit has the same damn style of designs and neighborhoods as the suburbs but attracts little or no attention from people looking to move into those types of neighborhoods because of its unresponsive administration.

I'm trying to say yes, it can achieve density, population migrations, cash, jobs and cheesy developments just like Troy if we get our act in gear. It just seems half the time we're too busy blasting the suburbs for being suburbs.

As an aside, anyone else notice that Chicago technically has about 100 more square miles that Detroit?

Shiva

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be happy if the developer wanted to build this in Detroit, Troy, anywhere in southeast Michigan.

I doubt Detroit was ever considered for this development - they didn't lose anything. A big empty building will be torn down and useful structures built in its place.

How can anyone object to that?