Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Shields Pizza??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Shields still opening in Grand Circus Park??
I thought it was supposed to open in August...

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Signs are still posted on the ground floor of the Kales building, I believe.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No visible signs of progress, though.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas, we may have another Post Bar on our hands...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the Como's that was supposed to be on Woodward.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to the Como's deal? It would have been nice to have a good late-night pizza place over there............

Bobj

Post Number: 2556
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They backed out, they even had tent cards on their tables in Ferndale advertising their "soon to come" Downtown location.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that scrappers tossed one of the huge steel elevator pulleys from the top of the Broderick down thru the roof of the adjacent building that was to be Como's. Maybe that was the "nail in coffin" so to speak, for that deal...

Davetroit

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Shield's obviously did not make their goal to open this summer, I believe they were aiming for opening day. At one point there was some dispute regarding ventilation, but work slowly continued. Now nothing has happened for the past 6 weeks or so.
Hoping for the best... if not, who wants some Buddy's??

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if work on Shields picked up after the holidays so they could open in time for Opening Day. Then again, this is Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if that space remained empty for years to come.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just be patient and wait for some proof and inside info of what's happening. Maybe they're cooking up something real tasty for us (puns intended).

One thing that I've learned is that Detroiters can be very impatient.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 18, 2007)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still on their website, no dates given, though. shieldspizza.com/locations.htm l

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^

Agreed, and they like to complain, don't understand how much work, money, manpower, etc. it takes to make projects happen. Also, we tend to wait for things to happen rather than making things happen ourselves.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea but it seems like developments in Detroit take about 10 times as long compared to anywhere else.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yea but it seems like developments in Detroit take about 10 times as long compared to anywhere else."

It's because our region is a special case when it comes to development. Shield's is probably going out on a limb to move into Downtown when it comes to the demographics. People aren't just going to spend their precious money and invest on a place that may not be a good business and financial choice. Look at 1001 Woodward.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
Demographics? Because Detroiters don't like pizza?

I'm sure that's not an issue. With all of the bars on Park now, I'm sure there will be plenty of people looking for a tasty slice after some binge drinking, not to mention the crowds on game days.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Demographics? Because Detroiters don't like pizza? I'm sure that's not an issue."

Then what is the issue? Comerica Park has Little Caesars and not to mention there are a lot of other options much closer to the stadium. I just don't think business will be the same as their current location.

Davetroit

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the market is here for a pizzeria. Especially one with the reputation of Shields.

Plus, half of the space is going to be a bar - and who doesn't like booze?!

What does Little Ceasars have to do with it?
1)It's at Comerica Park, not a sit down restaurant
2)The pizza sucks

(Message edited by davetroit on October 18, 2007)

Baliad
Username: Baliad

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i emailed them about this... they said they're hoping for spring '08

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the first, then, to say that this is sad... if they had gotten the place up and running, the business for the baseball season (now obviously done) would have been nuts... I live at Trolley and watch what goes on at Kales (I have a friend who lives there)... everything is picking up in Foxtown and they blew it this year by not hurrying on their construction.... hopefully next year... it's just unfortunate... I was in Cleveland for two games this year and I don't think Cleveland would ever have been so sluggish with a major area destination putting themselves within a walk of the ballpark... cross ur fingers...

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going to announce it then do it! If your going to sit on it and consider it, don't announce an opening until all your ducks are in a row.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, I don't think its unreasonable for the public to expect it to open within two-three months of your original opening date announced. Places anywhere else never experience this kind of delay. They want to get in business to make money, thats the whole purpose of it, you are sitting ( or renting) on property thats costing you with no revenue coming in. I also agree they really blew it with missing the baseball season, you have thousands of people walking in the area all the time who would see the place, go in and thats what starts a pattern of clientele. Any reasonable business person should see these sort of things in such a strategic location. That area already has alot of things going on, its not like its in the middle of no where. I agree with CMU totally, do not "announce " things until you know you are definitely on track for it. Sends a bad message to the public.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked in the window about a month ago, and saw ladders and people inside.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a lot of construction that needed to be done.... outfitting a 90 year old building basement into a kitchen takes a lot of work... I assume (like all construction jobs, everywhere) it has something to do with permits, inspections, etc... and the unexpected construction obstacles that can turn up in a building as old as the Kales.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10554
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can people villify a company that is investing dollars in the city and opening a new business? If it opens tomorrow I will go, if it opens next month I will go and if it opens next year I will still happily go.

Bobj

Post Number: 2583
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really glad that Shields is even considering it, it would be nice though if realistic opening dates were announced.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 915
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree, I don't think its unreasonable for the public to expect it to open within two-three months of your original opening date announced. Places anywhere else never experience this kind of delay.

It is very common for proposed developments to be delayed or outright abandoned. This happens all the time in every city, suburb, and rural area around the world...

In December 2006, developers scrapped a $104 million project, The Monarch, which would have been Troy's first luxury high-rise condominiums.

In February 2006, Schostak backed out of the Siverdome redevelopment deal. Pontiac is still looking for a developer to do something with this site after all the promised plans and proposals fell through.

Two weeks ago, the Bloomfield Park project in Oakland County finally got site plan approval after FIFTEEN YEARS of delays.

These high-profile projects are just a few examples on a long list of failed or long-delayed projects in Oakland County.
------------

Any time there is a delay of a development project in the city of Detroit, regardless of the circumstances, it will spark a flurry of negative comments about the city. The most disturbing aspect of this phenomenon is the sheer joy that some people get from an opportunity to bash the city, and their willingness to suspend critical thinking in favor of taking a cheap shot at the city.
-----------------

I find it very sad that a majority of metro Detroiters have been conditioned to assume the worst about the city, and operate from this negative viewpoint as a default position.

I really believe that many people are not even aware of their anti-Detroit mindset because it is is so pervasive and ingrained in our local culture. If you really stop to think about it, the tacit (and often unconscious) acceptance of this mindset as a default frame of reference is quite disturbing.

quote:

I don't think its unreasonable for the public to expect it to open within two-three months of your original opening date announced. Places anywhere else never experience this kind of delay.

This statement is a perfect example of the deeply ingrained Detroit-bashing mindset that is so pervasive in this region. I doubt that anybody on this forum will challenge the veracity of this statement, because even the biggest Detroit boosters have been conditioned to think of Detroit as an inferior city, and respond to any criticism with justification or a counter-attack.

This statement is not only factually incorrect, it is also quite ridiculous. The assertion that places ANYWHERE else NEVER experience this kind of delay is simply nonsense.

Panther036
Username: Panther036

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^

WOW! I completely agree with you!

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We so need a sit down pizza place. Where I am, I have to go to East Dearborn, and that's okay because
Roman Village has great pizza. I can remember when we had Luigi's, LaLanterna and Famous all right down town.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we do have Pizzapapalis, but I guess people don't want $35.OO Pizza Pies all the time.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also got an answer from them also , said they had loan problems and are hoping to continue construction in a couple of weeks for a spring opening. Hopefully this will happen, its got great potential.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We so need a sit down pizza place. Where I am, I have to go to East Dearborn, and that's okay because
Roman Village has great pizza. I can remember when we had Luigi's, LaLanterna and Famous all right down town."

Niki's in Greektown

Bobj

Post Number: 2651
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope this Shields opens, it would help with the development on Park and bring some life to the corner of Park and Adams

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take it from me, Shields will be there. This from a friend who got it from a good source.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best of luck to shields never had it before, what kind of name is shields anyway.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's the street the original was on

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

heard that scrappers tossed one of the huge steel elevator pulleys from the top of the Broderick down thru the roof of the adjacent building that was to be Como's. Maybe that was the "nail in coffin" so to speak, for that deal...

dave; this did indeed happen. however you have the wrong building and time frame. scrappers tossed an elevator pulley off the roof of the broderick into the auditorium of the adjacent, vacant madison theatre around 1995-96. the hole in the roof was patched, in fact, only to have the auditorium torn down a few years later. it's now a parking lot serving small plates and the madison theatre building.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original place was the Shields Bar on East Davison at (where else?) Shields Street.

Incidentally, the name now sports a possessive apostrophe -- as in Shield's -- to indicate that there was, or is, a Mr. (or Ms.) Shield.

That is not the case.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to a place called Jerusalem Pizza @ 10 mile & Southfield Road. The food was pretty good. They used no pork products, hense the name. They also offered omelette sandwiches which were delicious. Anything you wanted in an omelette you could get, from capers to olives.

Fury13

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salmon with a little cheese, capers and onions in an omelette sounds really good.

Is that place still open?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen them there for several years.
They may have moved. I know there's one at
26025 Greenfield Rd in Southfield (248) 552-0088
Enjoy!

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the response I got - sounds promising:

Thanks for your recent inquiry about the new Shield's Detroit location we're trying to put in the Kales Building on Adams St.

Unfortunately with the economy and everything else our loan company has really stalled the project on getting the proper financing to move the project forward.

We have been promised again and again that it will be completed soon but it hasn't happened. Fortunately, we think we are near the end and hope to move the project forward in the next few weeks and plan to start construction again soon. We anticipate the we can be open by March or April of 2008...so keep looking for progress on the construction. Thanks again and hope to see you at our new establishment!

Tony
Co-owner Shield's Detroit

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5599
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the chef from the first Shield's originally come from Buddy's Pizza? Their pizza's are very similar, and their first location (now closed) was very near the first Buddy's (still open).

Fury13

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Buddy's-Shields connection, as well as a Buddy's-Cloverleaf connection and a Buddy's-Loui's connection. They are all related in some way if you go back into the history of each establishment. I can't remember the details, though.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every local "square pizza" place seems to have that story associated with it. Does anyone know the real story?

Did Buddy's really spawn that many other businesses?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Didn't the chef from the first Shield's originally come from Buddy's Pizza? Their pizza's are very similar, and their first location (now closed) was very near the first Buddy's (still open)."

Louie Tourteau became the chef at Buddy's when his Uncle(Jimmy Bonacorsi ?) bought the place from Gus in the early 1950's. Gus started Cloverleaf on Gratiot shortly after. Sometime around 1967-1968 Louie became involved with Shields on Davison. I'm not sure if Louie was actually a partner in the original Shields but by 1976-1977 he decided to open his own place at 9 Mile & Dequindre called Loui's. It wouldn't surprise me if he figured the old neighborhood could not support both Buddy's and Shields anymore. I know Louie in his days with Buddy's and Shields lived on Eureka St. across from Jayne Field.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.