Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Jazzy Java Coffee Shop --Troy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette1234
Username: Yvette1234

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard from a member of a local band that Jazzy Java closed their doors last Friday due to lack of business...Coffee Net located on Long Lake and Rochester seem to be doing fine!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? Are both these places in Troy?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to make sure the distinction is made that this place is NOT the Jazzy Espresso Cafe that recently opened on Grand River in Harmonie Park!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Troy

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy... who's Troy? ;)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, DialH. That's what I wanted to know.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2606
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many of these places they cannot all make it - it has to be hard to make money selling coffe unless you have something very unique to pull in lots of people.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ a la Starbucks

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or unless you are in Ann Arbor. I don't know how so many coffee shops are in business.

I'd love to see a few more in downtown Detroit. I haven't seen the recently opened one in Harmonie Park but look forward to doing that.

The times they are a-changin'. Closing in troy, opening in Detroit.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or unless you are in Ann Arbor. I don't know how so many coffee shops are in business"

^^
College town and free wifi I'm sure have something to do with it.

Yvette1234

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster:

The location (Jazzy Java) WAS located in Troy, Michigan not Downtown. I was not very impressed with Jazzy Espresso Cafe in Harmonie Park .

http://www.detnews.com/2005/ea tsdrinks/0510/03/E03-334844.ht m

http://www.coffeenetusa.com

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>College town and free wifi I'm sure have something to do with it.

Along with all of the people walking around it everyday.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was not very impressed with Jazzy Espresso Cafe in Harmonie Park"

Whelp, that one is open and the other isn't. Go figure.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the location is cool and funky for the one in Harmonie Park - and I like the little upstairs. However, they could work on the quality of their drinks a bit.

To be honest, downtown Detroit has nowhere near the constant, every day foot traffic as a Royal Oak, Birmingham, or Ann Arbor, except in Greektown.

A big reason is Downtown's parking situation is downright confusing and intimidating to outsiders, poorly signed for the uninitiated, expensive, not to mention irregular for open times - even my trusty favorite Opera House Garage was closed one day when I needed it at 6:30p on a weekday and I had to hunt around for another one.

We ain't New York. I want working mass transit as much as the next guy, but until then, downtown parking needs to get practical (which could be led by city garages) and realize we are a car culture and it ain't changing tomorrow or in the next ten years.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what's confusing when there are parking lots as far as the eye can see. I will agree that it's too expensive though.

The reason for the lack of foot traffic is the lack of retail and shopping, and a lack of cohesive corridors. Sure, they are plenty of long corridors, several blocks or more, that I would walk happily, and most people on this forum would walk it. But most outsiders reduce downtown to Greektown and the Stadia, maybe CM Park (but that is more familiar for people who work in the financial district).

Greektown to Campus Martius, which then plugs you into Merchant's Row, the Financial district, and the Book-Cadillac, could be a major pipeline for foot traffic. It already kind of is.

But it always goes back to parking, and it's a bitch, because, to me, our downtown is horribly segmented, and parking (especially surface parking and garages w/o retail) act as barriers between districts. Why walk from the riverfront to Greektown if, for the most part, you're going to be walking along rows of parked cars instead of storefronts?

Our concerns for parking have worked against our downtown development, I'm thoroughly convinced. More accurately, the means by which this parking supply have been created-- creating surface lots-- have worked against creating the codified, walkable downtown. It's not a thing of the past, either. It seems like just yesterday when we lost a historic building on Madison Ave...for surface parking.

Yvette1234

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whelp, that one is open and the other isn't. Go figure"

Whelp, he's been opened for 2 MONTHS now...when he make it to atleast 2 YEARS like Jazzy Java or Cafe' Detroit...I will " Go Figure"

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette, what was it that made the one you like in Troy so great? Just curious.

Yvette1234

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster:

To be totally honest...I NEVER said I liked Jazzy Java or it was great...my original ad went something like this:

"I heard from a member of a local band that Jazzy Java closed their doors last Friday due to lack of business...Coffee Net located on Long Lake and Rochester seem to be doing fine"

Actually my favorite coffee shops are: Sweetwater Cafe (Downtown Royal Oak) Java Hutt (Ferndale, The Coffee Cafe (Downtown Detroit).

I hope I respectfully answered your question:-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of a strange thread topic considering that you didn't feel strongly for the place.

That's okay. We can just talk about coffee places now.

So I heard Beaners is changing their name...

Yvette1234

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw: I did read they were changing name their to Biggby due to concerns that 'Beaner' is a disparaging term against Hispanics.

So now that we can talk about coffee places now...my husband and I did not make up to Mackinaw Island this summer, is J. L. Beanery still there?...that's another nice coffee shop. The owner is really a nice guy!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Beaners in A2, but I felt like (and maybe it was just my impression, I used to go to Ann Arbor once a week and haven't for a while) that it was a bit pricier than the others. However, I liked to hole myself up at Espresso Royale Caffe... which is my A2 favorite mini-chain.

Now ERC could really rock in midtown in the right spot - perfect college/tech hippie cafe. Usually large, plenty of plugs, decent and well-priced joe.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ERC would be great for midtown. It is a great shop. Spanish Latte is highly recommended.

That is what the name will be changed to, Yvette.

Where is that coffee shop on Mackinac? I confess I've never been to that shop, but perhaps I can envision it. I haven't been on the island since last summer, either.

Yvette1234

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.biggby.com

"Where is that coffee shop on Mackinac? I confess I've never been to that shop, but perhaps I can envision it. I haven't been on the island since last summer, either"

JL Beanery Coffeehouse (906) 847-6533 Located on the Marina in Historic Haldimand Bay overlooking Round Island lighthouse.

Voted one of the Best Independent Coffeehouses in Michigan by the 2004 Detroit News Reader's Poll.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah...in the marina. That must be nice I'll check it out.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YVette, the Sweetwater in downtown Royal Oak is no longer a Sweetwater... it's now called "Bean & Leaf" or something like that. I don't know how much they changed their menu though because all I normally get anyway is iced tea.

Yvette1234

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh on my part, I was just there 2 weeks ago and didn't pay attention to the name change. Thanks Dannaroo!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.