Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » City Council and their Cronies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/M ETRO/710190423

Why can't anyone prevent this corruption that is tearing the City limb by limb?

If I could count the wasted dollars of so many departments. It's not that it is a ton of money being squandered, but consider the amount of the money the city has to use from its' tax base. Gives a little more value to any money being squandered.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10552
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly an appaling abuse that needs to be stopped.

How can a committee grant hardships with no accountability and no access to research. Just access to titles alone would help a lot.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, craziness. It is sure to start a storm. JoAnn Watson's involvement is especially interesting... wasn't her entire platform on her initial campaign based on cleaning up the city government?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 947
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am amazed there is not more outrage over this. Does anyone even care?

Based on the DetNews report there was clearly fraud and corruption involved in the case where one of the committee members granted a tax break to her lawyer. His records should be subpoenaed to see if he credited her fees by the amount of the tax break. They should both go to jail. Chances of that happening? Zip and none.

The bigger question is: How many more of these taxpayer rip offs are out there and not discovered yet?

And folks argue that this is not some third world city.

Congratulations to the DetNews. Good job.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Business as usual in the D. Why should they care, it's not their money.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Storm the CAY with torches and rakes, and throw them all out on their asses. The police won't stop you, they'll probably help.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Business as usual in the D. Why should they care, it's not their money.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am waiting for the die-hard loyalists to come out and find the silver lining in this story. I am waiting for some kind of rational counter-point that puts this entire situation into perspective.

3WC - you are right, this is point blank corruption, yet the city churns on as if nothing ever happened. Our citizens and public are way too under informed to really even make a difference. Even the people who do have access to our media outlets choose to watch the Brittany child custody battle instead.

PRETTY SAD

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great, now if you know who they are, put a lein on their house and fine them and collect the money plus interest and penalties.
Then fire the employees responsible, then charge them in court with fraud and embezzlement of city finds, real simple.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6699
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RECALL THE WHOLE CITY " CLOWNSIL!"

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just totally outrageous; I hope criminal charges will be forthcoming.

Good job Detroit News.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep reports that Mr. Mayor has locked up the tax records so City Council or the Tax Abatement Committee can't touch them.

Charles Pugh reported this morning that Mr. Cockrill has issued instructions to the other Council members to keep their mouths shut.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071020/NEW S01/710200365

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many smart members on this forum.
What can we do as Tax payers in this city to recall our city council....or hold them accountable?
Do we start a petition? or what? This is just outrageous.
Can I put my taxes in escrow or something....to show my anger?
Where do I go to get a hardship clearance? I have to scrape and save every year to pay my taxes. High Fucking taxes at that. I'm so mad.
It never stops. I love this city. But it is getting harder to do so everyday.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that is the question on the lips of a lot of folks today.

Pussygirl313

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so mad............What can we do? Nothing?
Come on folks let get together. A rally or picket.
Lets unite and take action.......I will do my part. I just don't know how or what to do. Any advise?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 966
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree this is shameful. Maybe if council spent more time conducting oversight instead trying to impeach Bush or naming streets after people this wouldn't have happened.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure people in every community can ask for a hearing to dispute thier property tax assessment. My neighbor did so a few years ago and they did give him a small break. This is not just a program for the poor, but for people disputing thier taxes being doubled thanks to the cap being taken off and or disputing the increased value of there property.

Reading about many of you complaining about high taxes it makes me chuckle at your remarks about this. Any body has the right to dispute thier tax assesment and this should not be blown out of proportion.

Investigation sounds as though its necessary but this constant corruption in the city tripe needs to stop. By the way I missed the date I could dispute my assessment so I plan on doing it next year.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you even bother to read the articles? No one is blowing anything out of proportion regarding property values/taxes. This has nothing to do with tax assessments, and everything to do with criminals, con-artists and cheats claiming to a shadowy committee that they are needy when they are clearly not.

Pussygirl313

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Shark.........
Criminals.
And criminals should be put in jail.
Oh how I would love to see all of them behind bars, or on a work release program picking up trash on the street.
Wouldn't that be fun to see? Watson and rest of them picking up trash, in a nice orange overalls.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pjazz, it does not sound like you even read the Detroit News article from the top of this thread. In one case, there is a lawyer who lives in a $335,000 home in Sherwood Forest. On her application for a tax waiver, the lawyer's wife swore under oath that her husband was deceased. The Detroit News discovered that he is alive and well, AND does legal work for one of the people on the Hardship Committee that approved the tax waiver.

So clearly, there is blatant criminal activity here on the part of more than one person. And that is just in this one case. The Detroit News article speaks about several cases.

(Message edited by johnberk on October 20, 2007)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the detail about the woman who claimed HER husband was dead as well, and the reporter found him at home watching their wall-size TV.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. After rereading it does say it's the tax cuts were made for the poor. I read the freep link first. My bad. Lets hope whos ever at fault will be punished

(Message edited by pjazz on October 20, 2007)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need district by council for a starter to get rid of these same ole names that have been around forever. There is really no one to watch over CC. They watch over the executive branch (mayor) but there is really no one to keep an eye on them. Someone has to start signatures to get district by council. I don't know the details but you need a certain percentage based off either population or numbers of voters. A few years ago a guy spoke about it at the Rosedale Park Community Center - anyone else there and remember the details?

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that Detroit needs to establish a district based council or ward system similar to most large cities. Among the 15 largest cities in the country, only Detroit and Columbus has an at-large city council. Having lived in Chicago, I saw first hand the benefits of Chicago's 50-ward system. The elected officials (Alderman) live in the district they represent. If a district is being neglected, you can bet the Alderman will not make it through another election.

Ironically, Detroit went to an at-large system in 1918 in an effort to end corruption and cronyism. That is not to say district-based councils are without corruption – any system requires checks and balances. But it would seem to be in the citizens’ best interest to have local representation.

Detroit had an opportunity to adopt a district-based system back in 1974 when it was placed on a ballot. It was voted down. In 2002, then Governor Engler tried to get districting on the ballot, but was voted down by the State Supreme Court.

http://media.www.michigandaily .com/media/storage/paper851/ne ws/2002/07/22/Opinion/District ing.Gets.Red.Light-1411587.sht ml

If placed on a ballot today, does anyone think it would pass?

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two related articles:

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=10456

http://www.detnews.com/special reports/2001/broken2/1ward/1wa rd.htm

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what i have been shouting about.

LET'S DO IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VclHtnoTqRA

Tkshreve

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This movement needs to gather strength and speed.

I could not read the above links. What do they pertain to??

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.