Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Altered, vacated and never built roadways » Archive through October 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 625
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently out a Wolcott mill Metropark I followed a now abandoned section of 31 Mile. There were even collapsed and in tact bridges. 4 of them though this link only counts 3. http://www.historicbridges.org /truss/30mile/index.htm
Anyways that is just one of many roads not used anymore in the periphery out this way. There are sections of Mayer and Shortcut in Ira as well not used, not to mention the old DUR railbed still in Saint Johns Marsh. Many highways by the state were re-routed and old ones left behind. There is an old on ramp at Hall Road now unused. The thread with the Harper Golf course shows many changes in the roads and the diminished prominence of Greater Mack over time. My uncle had property the was next to an vacated road with a bridge over the Bell River. It was just a steel skeleton and one night someone took the WHOLE THING! What about roads never built but were planned. Anyone know any interesting information or of some old hidden unused roadway in and around Detroit? I suppose an old roadway could be a ruin.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5520
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One never built roadway that comes to mind is the "Imperial Highway", a diagonal roadway that was supposed to go from western Wayne County diagonally into Oakland County and from there northeastward into Macomb County towards Armada I believe. This was mentioned on another thread.

As you mentioned with Greater Mack, there are many roadways that have some strange twists, dead ends, and new beginnings. Several streets originating in Detroit come to mind.

One is Hayes Ave. Which begins at Harper & Chalmers. It continues on until it ends at 8 Mile & Gratiot. Then a few blocks north of 8 Mile it begins again, but this time as a residential street. It continues on towards 10 Mile, where it starts to become a more important street, but still residential. Between 10 & 11 Mile Hayes has a very strange look to it. The houses are set way back from the street, as though Hayes was at some point going to be widened, but never was. Then Hayes crosses over I-696/11 Mile and ends 1 block north at Groesbeck. Then Hayes starts back up at 11 1/2 Mile and becomes a main thoroughfare (boulevard) as the side entrance for Macomb College South Campus. Then north of 12 Mile it ends as a boulevard, and becomes a residential street again. Then north of 15 Mile it ends again. It starts up again north of 16 Mile (Metro Parkway) branching off of Utica Road, and progressively increasing in importance as a business lined thoroughfare until it reaches Hall Rd. Then it continues on northward into Macomb County as a semi-rural road.

2 other roads that do this on the far east side are Beaconsfield and Kelly Rd. The same Beaconsfield that starts at Jefferson in Grosse Pointe Park stops and starts several times until it becomes the western perimeter to Macomb Mall, and continues northward.

Ditto for Kelley road farther west of Beaconsfield.

Like Greater Mack, Hayes, Beaconsfield and Kelly Roads likely were little more than contiguous paved or dirt roads in the distant past, but were hacked up into separate segments by parks, freeways and other road projects.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is this old unused onramp at hall road?

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmington Road at Shiawassee. Farmington used to go down the hill and had a bridge going over the river. The roadway and bridge are still there. Super-long link :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&time=&date=&ttype=&q=F armington+Rd+%26+Shiawassee+Rd ,+Farmington,+Oakland,+Michiga n+48336,+United+States&sll=42. 334386,-83.273829&sspn=0.13603 3,0.373535&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocod e=0,42.466100,-83.371460&ll=42 .467246,-83.374557&spn=0.00212 1,0.005836&t=h&z=18&om=1

The hill going down to the river was pretty steep. I heard that a school bus crashed there in the winter, and that lead to it being closed off.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gistok. I find SE Detriot's SW-NE facing streets interesting (Canfield, East Fort St., St. Paul, Agnes, etc.).

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an out of service bridge on Card Road, south of 25 Mile Road, that I used to ride my bike over. Vehicle traffic is not allowed. It's actually kind of interesting that this section of Card Road, between 24 & 25, has been left abandoned.

Not sure what the current status is... that area is where "downtown" Macomb Twp is going, so they may be repairing the roads.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is Imperial Hwy. You can see the path it used to take.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&time=&date=&ttype=&q=F armington+Rd+%26+Shiawassee+Rd ,+Farmington,+Oakland,+Michiga n+48336,+United+States&sll=42. 334386,-83.273829&sspn=0.13603 3,0.373535&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocod e=0,42.466100,-83.371460&t=h&o m=1&ll=42.319526,-83.386123&sp n=0.008504,0.023346&z=16

This may be a little piece of it -

Sorry, didnt meant to blow margins.. If you follow the map above to the northeast, you can see what looks like a section in the woods of Hines Park.

(Message edited by Abracadabra on October 14, 2007)

(Message edited by Abracadabra on October 14, 2007)

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broughton Road- Starts at 27 Mile and travels south and ends suddenly where the Macomb Township Hall, Macomb Rec Center, Macomb-Suburban Ice Arena, and where the new "Downtown" Macomb is supposed to be. The road turns just south of 25 Mile, but it is apparent that the road used to continue south to 24 mile as a dirt rode because there are old power lines in a straight line and there are always cars parked back there on the old road.

Garfield Road- Starts as Garfield Street at Common Road and ends at Groesbeck. Starts back up at Utica Road and Masonic and travels all the way to 22 Mile(Used to end north of 21 mile and start back up about 200 yards north because of an old drain) and stop because of the old Berz-Macomb Airport which is now gone and adding to the sprawling suburbs with Pulte and other company homes. Then the road starts back up between 23 and 24 mile and ends at 24 Mile. Finally, it starts back up between 24 and 25 and ends in the old macomb village where it starts romeo plank back up at 25 a little off the path of the southern part of romeo plank.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conner St. used to continue north of Base Line Rd. into Macomb County, where it terminated at Sherwood St., as shown on this 1916 map of Warren Twp.:

1916 map

By 1930, this area had been subdivided and in the process, much of Conner St. in Warren Twp. had been vacated:

1930 map

Today, the remaining portion is called Conners Ave.:

2007 map

Another "cousin" of the Imperial Highway was the Industrial Superhighway, which was shown as "proposed" on the same 1930 map of Warren Twp.:

1930 map Industrial Superhighway

Only two short segments (named Industrial Hwy.) were actually constructed near the 10 Mile Rd. and Schoenherr intersection:

2007 map Industrial Hwy.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my mom telling me years ago that there was a plan to have a freeway along Mound Road corridor from, I think the Davison or that vicinity, north and then connecting with what is now the M-53 freeway. It was one of the reasons she moved out to Washington Township back in the 60's when she worked at the GM Warren Tech Center.

Anyone else ever hear of that plan? Seems like the improvements they have made over the years might be heading in that direction.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned State Fair. How it ends at Outer Drive/Conner and Begins again at the end of E. Outer Drive's run.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the streets along the perimeter of City Airport.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why the Mound/696 interchange is so large, to accommodate the planned Mound expressway.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I remember my mom telling me years ago that there was a plan to have a freeway along Mound Road corridor

Yes, there was a master plan that called for a future freeway along Mound Rd. from the Davison to 18 1/2 Mile Rd., where it would swing to the east and connect with the M-53 freeway. What that meant was that MDOT would acquire right-of way for the future Mound Rd. project whenever they built state and Interstate routes that would interchange with it. Evidence of that planning can be seen in the I-696/Mound Rd. interchange which was built as if Mound were a freeway. Similarly, when the M-53 freeway was built in the 1960's, MDOT also acquired the land between it and Van Dyke to allow for the future extension of the M-53 freeway towards 18 1/2 Mile Rd. That land sat fallow for more than 40 years until 2004 when the state built the roundabout at Van Dyke and 18 1/2 Mile Rd. which also has on and off ramps connecting to the M-53 freeway. I believe that the official plans for a Mound Rd. freeway were abandoned during the late 1980's.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3507
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a bridge that existed in the 1960s that crossed the Clinton River at Kleino Street ("Court" now) in Sterling Heights.

Kleino

Anyone know the story about when and why that bridge disappeared? The Schoenherr bridge replaced it, obviously.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5522
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Mound corridor freeway was supposed to connect to the Davison Freeway near McNichols (6 Mile). The Davison Freeway was supposed to continue past its' eastern terminus (near Conant), which was supposed to follow Davison Rd. until McNichols, then continue east and then bend south just after City Airport along the Conner corridor.

The I-94 exit at Conner is so peculiar because it was originally intended to be the eastern terminus of the Davison Freeway. And the stretch of Conner from I-94 to Gratiot has a wide band of parkland along the western side of the road because that land was going to be part of the Davison Freeway.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the year they built Mound Rd.? I lived in the area in the 50's and 60's and it was a divided highway then. Sometimes we use the median as a place to play ball.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kleino Road bridge was a very old and short span. During periods of heavy river flow, its roadway approaches acted like a dam, causing water to back-up upstream of the bridge. One of the many state requirements that needed to be met for approving the Schoenherr Road bridges over the Clinton River included the complete removal of the Kleino Road bridge and approaches after the new bridges were open to traffic. It made no sense to require the new Schoenherr bridges to meet a higher peak river flow if the substandard Kleino bridge was permitted to remain in place only a few hundred feet upstream.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, thanks. I've been wondering about that for years. When was it demolished?

Jimaz

Post Number: 3509
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what's the etymology of "Mound" Road? Was it a name, an actual mound, an Indian burial mound?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wsu/vmc

An aerial photo from the 1930s (?) looking north up Mound Rd from 8 Mile Rd.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone know the year they built Mound Rd.?

Originally, what is now Mound Rd. in Macomb County existed only north of 11 Mile Rd. Northbound travelers from Detroit would use Conner and Sherwood Streets and then jog to the west on 11 Mile Rd. and then north on Mound Rd. It was not until sometime between 1895 and 1916 that Mound Rd. was built between 8 and 10 Mile Roads.

Here is a 1916 map showing the last missing section of Mound Rd. between 10 and 11 Mile Roads (apparently it was delayed due to the need to build a bridge over Bear Creek).

1916 map

Sometime shortly after 1916, the last missing section was built and sometime before 1932 the first divided highway sections were built in the area between 13 and 14 Mile Roads through Warren Village. The original Mound Road roadbed lies beneath today's northbound lanes. Warren Village's entire business section along the west side of Mound Rd. had to be demolished to create the room for the southbound section of the divided highway.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the electronic variable speed limit signs on Mound in the "60's? They would change the speed on the overhead signs according to traffic flow. My Dad said at the time it was a experiment.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those overhead "speed limit" signs were the result of an experiment conducted by the General Motors Research Labs and the Macomb County Road Commission to regulate traffic flow and prevent back-ups.

I remember them as having three separate speeds with a separate illuminating lamp behind each. The actual speed limit on Mound was 45 MPH and the signs showed the recommended speed to travel if you wanted to avoid hitting the brakes at the next traffic light. So if you were stopped and then given the green light, the first overhead sign would have the 45 lit up and subsequent signs would show you the 45 and when you arrived at the next light, it would turn green just as you got there and you would not have to brake (unless there was a lot of traffic already stopped for it). I believe the other two speeds were 35 and 25 and they were shown to those who came through the green light too late to be assured of making the next green light. It was not a very sophisticated system, it just used electromechanical timers and it was an attempt to see if drivers would modify their natural behavior if they could see that they would be rewarded by not having to stop as much.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea the 90' medians on mound on the lower east side definitely would've accommodated the freeway
the mt elliot bridge over the rails is part of that too
seems like a great opportunity for community gardens or a linear park
it'd be much better than a gathering places for trash and misc car. parts

Fareastsider

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old onramp for Hall Rd. is west of the freeway today. Just west of the onramp. You can see it here. http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Hallramp -2.jpg
The green line on there is the route of an old Road called Snover Rd. which ran from Hall Rd. ....acutally The W. P. Rosso Hwy to Gratiot along the Chesterfield/Macomb Twp border. IT was vacated and now there is a road called MArketplace Blvd within a shopping development of the same name. Snover Rd though is no more. I believe you used to be able to get to the freeway from Gratiot but I wasnt driving when it was still around.
The Card Rd bridge is supposed to be replaced with a covered bridge but has been put on hold due to budget concerns.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread, old maps/roads always interest me. I have had the following thought for a while now, perhaps some DYes-er can enlighten me. How come 14 Mile Road is "missing" between Southfield and Evergreen Roads? Is it because of the Birmingham Country Club? I always thought that since 14 Mile Road is a border between townships that it should have gone unbroken.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 800
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, I think that snover road was at one time m-29. from http://www.michiganhighways.or g/listings/MichHwys20-29.html# M-029
quote:

1947-49 - A new bypass of Mount Clemens is constructed in 1947 and M-29, again, changes its route. From New Baltimore, M-29 once again follows 23 Mile Rd (formerly M-59) westerly to US-25/Gratiot Ave, then southwely to M-59/Hall Rd. M-29 proceeds southerly via the new bypass to Crocker Blvd (formerly M-29), then southeasterly on its former alignment.

I think this was the 'new bypass' to crocker road. the 94 listing says in 1963:
quote:

The portion of the new freeway from Shook Rd to William P Rosso Hwy is constructed atop the alignment of M-29, which is now scaled back to end at I-94 at the 23 Mile Rd interchange.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South Huron Rd. exit on 275 looks like a highway that was never built.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&t type=&q=new+boston,+mi&ie=UTF8 &ll=42.138141,-83.376446&spn=0 .006969,0.014591&t=k&z=16&om=1

It's only use is an entrance to Willow Metropark.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A road in Chesterfield called Callens I grew up on has been twisted and altered many times over the years. Callens runs from 23 Mile Rd south to Sugarbush at the intersection of Sugarbush and Sugarbush! at the southern end of this 1.5 Mile road Sugarbush makes a 90 degree turn. I believe because of an old re routing years ago probably by the turn of the century. Here is the road today.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q= 23+Mile+Rd+%26+Callens+Rd,+New +Baltimore,+MI+48047,+USA&sa=X &oi=map&ct=image
and
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/CAllens. jpg
Its original route in 1859.
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Callens1 859.jpg
Anyways I learned of some of its rerouting from my dad and witnessed its recently alignment to Baker Road as the two roads were nearby and created a traffic problem. In fact from 21 Mile road if you took Sugarbush north you may not realize it but that direct roadway has 3 names now due to all of this re-routing. Where Sugar bush turns at 90 degrees you then are driving on CAllens and when you cross 23 Mile Rd you are on Baker Road. All their own roads but lined up over time.
Anyways the small 1.5 mile section that is Callens had a new bridge built over the Salt River in 1982 and made the angles of the road smoother. Callens used to cross the Salt River and formed a T intersection with Hooker Road seen here.
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Callensa ndriver.jpg
Same image highliting changes
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Callensa ndriver2.jpg
just up the road from there some sharper road angles were changed for traffic and even a part of the Salt River was moved.
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/CAllensi mprovements.jpg
Two years ago the section by 23 was routed behind some newer stores and lined up with Baker Road to make a 4 way intersection. Recent pictures on maps.live shows the new intersection today.
http://maps.live.com/?q=34000+ 23+mile+road+chesterfield+mich igan&go=Search&mkt=en-us&scope =&FORM=LIVSOP
Here is the original road route pre 1982
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/EastCall ens.jpg
You can see along the river a sidewalk exists which leads to a school at the end of Hooker Rd. along the still existing Right of Way.
The road has a long history as it connects with Sugarbush they run more or less along an old indian trail which was here before the Europeans. There is a lot of history and changes in that little road!