Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Celebrate Detroit Books! WSU Press Annual Fall Benefit, Thursday, October 25 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Celebrate Detroit Books!

Wayne State University Press hosts its Fourth Annual Fall Benefit at The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD).

Thursday, October 25, 2007, 6pm.

Celebrate Detroit with books:

Amos Walker's Detroit, text by Loren D. Estleman, photographs by Monte Nagler; Connecting the Dots: Tyree Guyton's Heidelberg Project; Life with Mae: A Detroit Family Memoir by Neal Shine; Sonny Sez: Legends, Yarns & Downright Truths, text by Sonny Eliot, illustrations by Draper Hill, edited by Stanley D. Williams; American City: Detroit Architecture, 1845-2005, text by Robert Sharoff, photographs by William Zbaren; Talking Shops: Detroit Commercial Folk Art; photographs by David Clements.

Tour the museum and its new exhibition "Words Fail Me." Mingle with authors while they sign and discuss their books. Enjoy wine, hors d'oeuvres, and desserts from some of our favorite local restaurants. Meet journalist Jack Lessenberry, master of ceremonies for the evening.

Tickets: $20, or $15 for Wayne State University students and staff (with OneCard) and MOCAD members. Ticket price payable at door only (Mastercard, Visa, or cash).

http://wsupress.wayne.edu/info rmation/newswsup.html

Kathleen

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...

Kathleen

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Freep....

DOING RIGHT BY MA SHINE: Former Free Press publisher honors his mother in a moving and often humorous memoir

"...The book will be released Thursday during a celebration of it and five other new books from Wayne State University Press.

Coincidentally, the [Shine] family's copies of the book arrived Sept. 14, on what would have been Neal's 77th birthday. ..."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071024/FEA TURES01/710240395/1025/FEATURE S&theme=MAE102007&GID=htp0RW8I Ok+aUo1P0Iwl9N2wUEidB63aZkW+Pi 9bGOE%3D

Kathleen

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Wayne State University Press for a very nice event! It was well attended, and quite enjoyable. All the authors were in attendance, holding court while signing their books. Saw a number of familiar faces. Good food and drink. Nice music. All in all, a very good time (and well worth the $20 ticket).

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish that I could say that I'll see you there, K. We'll I'll just (lie and) say it anyway, "See you there." eeeeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would have enjoyed it, E. Lots of very interesting folks in attendance!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.