Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What would you like at Hudson's? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've grown up in the suburbs of Detroit, but only until recently have I started going downtown with any frequency. I can't help but notice that there is NOTHING at the site of the old Hudson's building! I mean, goodness, it's been almost 10 years now!

So I'm wondering, what would you all like to see fill this huge void?

Username: 3420

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another department store would be nice but not realistic unless someone really can do something with a site that big. Downtown needs to save that site for retail only in my opinion. We need more retail downtown! Can't understand why they are building that new mall near the state fair. They could have used that same thinking and brought it downtown. JCPenney is that anchor store I believe for that new mall and you tell me they couldn't put a store downtown if they saw a nice package deal for them. Didn't want to get off subject too much but the Hudson site needs some retail put there by 2009. 10 years next year like you stated.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of whether it is commercial or residential, I would like a building that fills the Woodward Ave. "streetwall", and has 1st floor retail. The last KDG design had a plaza with set back buildings. Didn't mind the design, but hated the fact that the streetwall was not maintained.

Looking north from Campus Martius, it's the intact streetwall (at least the west side of Woodward is intact) that gives Woodward such a magnificent vista northwards.

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the underground parking garage for Compuware there?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we can't pull the retail out of our butt cracks. We can barely fill the retail along Merchants Row, let along the Hudson Site. I do agree with 3420 though. It would have been nicer if they put the retail center on the Hudson site. On the other hand, they're trying to attract suburban shoppers as well and I don't think suburban shoppers have gotten comfortable enough to venture all the way downtown and shop (not to mentino that they best fit the commercial demands and have the better income overall).

The Hudson Site will be filled though, that's for sure. It's a very valuable and demanding piece of land. However, we have to wait for the market to ripen up again, because the market downtown according to the commercial businesses, isn't prime yet for them. I think the best type of use for the Hudson Site would be mixed use(High Rise Apartments, Storefront Retail, Parking Garage, High Rise Hotel or something).

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like this set of low-rise buildings that was designed by Kraemer for a Developer who was interested in the site a few years ago would be nice...though I'd say it's probably unlikely to happen any time in the next decade...

Gistok

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_jesus, the problem I have with that design is that it puts the streetwall on Farmer instead of Woodward.

We don't need a public plaza ever 300 feet along Woodward. Campus Martius and Grand Central Park are enough.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel what you saying Gistok, but retail should be the main focus there. We have a growing residential downtown, plenty of office workers, but little retail. There should be a anchor store for the other retailers too feed off of. I was just downtown last night and wondered how long will it be before J-bees & Athletes foot close up. If I had the money I would put it into downtown retail.

I'm for certain if you can market your retail store right downtown you can get the shoppers there. I believe that people want to shop downtown again and many still do. But retail needs to be emphasized better from the downtown community and leaders. Watch how Detroit residents and suburbian residents are going to like the new mall once it is finished. They could have used the Hudson site! You could have your anchor stores and other retail stores go all the way up to about 15-20 stories including office space. The city could have directed the retail traffic to the Hudson site instead of the state fair grounds area.

Basically I just would love to see nothing but retail there. I'm really pulling for the city to do something with that site soon. I just sit here and wonder if anyone else is thinking the same things as far as retail for the site.

Yvette1234
Username: Yvette1234

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with 3420 "Downtown needs to save that site for retail only"

I would like to see ...

Mongolian Barbeque

P F Chang's

Champs

Macaroni Grill

Potbelly's Sandwich Works

M A C Cosmetics

Sephora's Cosmetics

Coach Store

Bath and Body Works

Hallmark Store

Franklin Planner

Candle Shop

Office Supply Store

Self Serve Post Office

Nail Salon

Ticket Masters

Men's Warehouse

Movie Theater

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would ideally like to see it used for residential/commercial like the other side of Woodward to tie it together.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout' 2 or 3 sets of outside basketball Courts and perhaps some tennis courts surrounded by an olympic size running track.

That would really make the area unique. The area would be unlike any downtown district in 'amerikkka'__kinda like an athletic oasis in the middle of the business district.

Heck we could even reuse those old red monkey bars that use to be on Washington Blvd to surround the athletic complex.

blksoul-atcha!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, yeah, that will surely bring people downtown (Daily Day and Night).

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it would generate traffic__I think the City is in no shape to go after the big name businesses, so then, the city as to become very creative in attracting people and perhaps then the 'big heads' will come to the area.

besides...I'm no numbers man, but I don't see something like that costing much in the scheme of things. People will come and you don't have to jive to much with the corporate heads. Then too, corporate people could easily use the visibility to advertise on the court area and the like.

I would love to have something like that!

blksoul_atcha!

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette,

If we had those stores we will have to change the name of Woodward to Hall Road.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5073
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only logical thing is office space. Retail won't turn a profit in that location.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 513
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Build both^^^

<313>

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 511
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't the "streetwalls" what make it so windy downtown? A structure like this would disrupt the airflow.

I doubt we'll see any high dollar retail going in there. Web-based retail is killing brick and mortar retail as we know it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly what Gistok said.

Our historic streetwall in Merchant's Row is such an asset; we need to fill it in, and then we'll have an amazing corridor. I'd say something about the height of Compuware or maybe even smaller would be about right for the streetwall height, but a higher structure could rise out from the back of the block near Library St.-- something which will make a slight mark on the skyline.

Having a wind tunnel is hardly a reason to discourage good design. Ask the folks in Manhattan. Plus the normal window flow is west to east and that is largely blocked by large buildings along and west of Woodward.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 765
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it. I'm from Europe, have spent 3/4 of my life so far there. Every city I know is a downtown shopping destination. Never in the suburbs. Every city, large or small has its department store locations ala Hudson's downtown. A place like Hudson's used to be would be booming anywhere in most of Europe. There is a department store chain called "Kaufhof" in Germany that you will find in every major city, always downtown, many have several locations within any given city. I don't understand why this doesn't seem to work in the US. In Europe, your weekend shopping, entertainment, recreation destinations are almost always "to go downtown" of the next larger city.

Yvette1234
Username: Yvette1234

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly

You are so correct...every large city I've visited had a wonderful Downtown Shopping District...but not us! Back in the day... Downtown Detroit had 3 days of shopping sales that were called DD-Days (Downtown Detroit Days)... If we had quality stores Downtown Detroit I would personally spend more of my dollars Downtown rather running to Somerset or other Malls/Strip Malls every time I need something. Every time a client or friend come to town they ask about Downtown Detroit shopping...I refer them to Novi, Troy or Birmingham ...not everyone are interested in Dollar Stores or McDonalds all the time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new hudson

make a statement

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a massive office building look-a-like parking structure that serves the entire downtown and eliminates all of the surface lots?

Gistok

Post Number: 5547
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever... just remember the underground parking structure cannot hold more than 16 stories...

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my mega project idea.

DETROIT CITY
Shops, condos, and offices.

WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY

-Featuring Detroit's tallest office tower.

-A 200 store urban retail mall, featuring the regions largest MACY'S and unique shops not found anywhere else, plus national chains.

-Detroit's first downtown market in the revived cbd.

-Detroit City theatres. Showcasing first run movies.

-The Condos at Detroit City. 15 stories of the best condos to be found in downtown Detroit.

-Underground central bus terminal incorporating DDOT, SMART, and Greyhound under one roof. All bus routes lead to DETROIT CITY.

DETROIT CITY. The new heart of Downtown Detroit.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually love the KDG design. No, it is not a solid streetwall, but it is a large lot IMHO and the separate towers break up the space but still let light in. The towers are modern, with enough subtle differences to make them interesting.

Mixed use is the best way to go for that lot.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto's plan is very ambitious and would be nice in an ideal world. Detroit right now is nothing like that ideal world. I agree that one large, mixed use building would be nice. I know that the site looks like a waste now, but for Detroit to pull major retailers to the area will take time. I would much rather let the land sit as is for a decade and then get something similar to say Chicago's Water Tower Place than to rush into a two story JCPenny or some other plan that would work well short term, but wouldn't fit well in a long term plan. If someone were to develop something on the site now, I would hope that they might make structural preparations to eventually build up further for more retail/office/etc space.

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allow me to indulge myself here.

What I would LIKE to see is a historiclly acurate re-creation of the J L Hudson Co. building. This building would contain a reborn Hudson's (rights to the name being from the Target Corp) as it's anchor tennant, a mix of other office and entertainment tennants, and condo units in the tower portion. The reborn Hudson's would be the only store bearing the name, thus giving downtown a unique retail draw.

Yes, a fantasy, but allow me to dream.

Ken

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Maurice Salad

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3849
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want the tallest building to be there, MToronto, it will need to be mixed-use and leaning away from offices. Unless we are talking way, way down the road.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love the idea Miketoronto.

I have $500 to spend, wanna make it happen?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see at Hudsons the animated Xmas
displays that they used to have. As a child it was one of the best things they had at Hudsons.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x.....we are on the same wavelength; your sportsplex is a great idea. Let's also add a couple of 50-meter swimming pools and diving tower. Winter sports facilities would be nice too; an outdoor 400-meter ice track and a 90-meter ski jumping hill.

Lord knows, over the past 111 years, Detroit has sent scores of athletes to international sporting events; Detroit deserves an Olympic Games. Summer and/or winter, Detroit could be the first city ever to host both (consecutively).

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'd be nice if they had a small, centralized mall like they have in Memphis or better yet.. like the New Center. A few restaurants, maybe a D&B, office floors. Seems like a good deal. But I do love that Kraemer design.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Kraemer deisgin, add something a little different to the streetscape

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.