Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A Rumor: Henry Ford refused to meet with Albert Kahn? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been told that Albert Kahn never had the chance to meet with Henry Ford because he was avidly anti-semitic. Can anyone refute this? It seems pretty ridiculous considering Kahn designed almost every significant building Ford possessed.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Bullshit to me. Henry Ford's anti-Semitism was well documented, the Dearborn Independent articles alone qualify him as rather partial--But there were Jewish figures in society that Ford was known to be quite social with, including Kahn. If he was so rabidly anti-Semitic I would think he would have gone to another goysher firm for his architecture needs.
Kahn wasn't part of the banking establishment, Ford's biggest red-ass.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story I have read is that it was a condition of Kahn's employment that he never have to meet with Ford in person after their initial contracts. It was Kahn's distaste of Ford, not the other way around.

Hans57

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, do you know where you read that? I'm trying to put a paper together.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans-

Have you checked the Henry Ford Centennial Library in Dearborn? I know that they have quite a bit of documentation on HF.

Hans57

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I haven't, thanks plymouthres.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or the Edison Institute/Benson Ford research center at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They both needed each other anyhow. Kahn needed the work $$ and Ford needed the best factory designer. There is a picture of Ford and Kahn together..can't recall the year. You have to remember that these views were not just shared by HF, but by damn near all of Detroit's establishment at the time.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Kahn even did a building for Ford down here in Charlotte!!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't surprise me if he actually never met Kahn.

Henry Ford was quite the anti-Semite. He disseminated the Protocols of the Elders of Zion pamphlet in his company newspaper, if I remember my history correctly.

Kahn was a genius. Would have loved to have had the chance to meet him. Stupid Ford.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robert Lacey, in Ford - the Men and the Machine, writes that Ford and Kahn liked working together to solve problems in the construction of early plants. Collier & Horowitz, The Fords - An American Epic, writes that Ford and Kahn argued about the Willow Run construction.

That's all the free research you get.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford only hated Jews because they controlled the financial markets, and that's the one aspect of his business he didn't control...he controlled everything else...he made the glass for windshields, he owned rubber plantations from which tires were made, etc...he just didnt control the financing

he had to go and ask them nicely for money whenever he wanted to do this and he hated it

Guys like Kahn who just designed buildings probably wouldn't have pissed him off much

Hans57

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all. I guess the general consensus is that they had met in person.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3853
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ford only hated Jews because they controlled the financial markets."

Are you saying that this was a fact in the early 20th century in America (which would be untrue and probably anti-Semitic), or are you saying that's what Ford believed?

I'd watch how you phrase that, too. That surely wasn't the ONLY reason he was anti-Semitic. If he believed in the Protocols of the Elders of the Zion, he subscribed to the whole credo of racial anti-Semitism.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure I read that in the Hawkins Ferry book.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are you saying that this was a fact in the early 20th century in America (which would be untrue and probably anti-Semitic), or are you saying that's what Ford believed?"

I'm saying that I took a class on Henry Ford at University of Michigan, the professor of the class was the curator of the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, and he said that this was the primary source of Ford's animosity toward the Jews that led him to write this:

http://www.amazon.com/Internat ional-Jew-Worlds-Foremost-Prob lem/dp/1593640188/ref=sr_1_4/1 05-8424903-1541269?ie=UTF8&s=b ooks&qid=1193098210&sr=8-4

there's absolutely nothing anti-semetic about what he said...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3856
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you were quoting your professor, who said that FORD BELIEVED that Jews controlled money lending in America at that time? Just want to get that straight.

Everyone is correct, Ford did meet Kahn and is said to have been friendly with the Jews he did know. I forgot that he had met Kahn, and referred to my knowledge from other related matters.

At the same time, anti-Semitism was concurrent with this friendliness (a friendiness which could have just been for business purposes). We can start with Ford's incorrect and anti-Semitic view that Jews controlled the financial market.

Ford's best friend/secretary purchased the Dearborn Independant, which was in publication during the 1920s, and printed the forged, conspiratorial "Protocols..." For those of you unfamiliar with this, read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_Protocols_of_the_Elders_of_ Zion
The Protocols were truly the culmination of racial anti-semitism, and yep, they ran in what was meant to be a serious newspaper. Ford said "the Protocols fit in with what is going on." The same Dearborn paper which his company was closely involved with then printed "The International Jew: The World's Foremost Problem." Several anti-Semitic editorials were printed in the 1920s. They had Henry Ford's name on them, yet, after the fact, it was continuously denied that he had anything to with them. Regardless, he agreed to have his name on that drivel.

The International Jew was printed through 1942. Yep. Straight through the Holocaust.

In 1938, in the midst of the Holocaust, Henry Ford received, from Germany, the highest medal that a non-German could receive.

His anti-Semitism was rather severe. The International Jew and Ford's statements on the Protocols are taught in history classes today, such as Modern Jewish History 1848-1948, also at the U-M.

Patrick

Post Number: 5078
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford's ways were rather odd if you really look into it. Just take a look into his doomed "peace ship" disaster.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3858
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. A very strange case.

While we're on it, let's talk about his anti-city views.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We can start with Ford's incorrect and anti-Semitic view that Jews controlled the financial market."

I read your post but I didn't see you address this point...

Patrick

Post Number: 5080
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HF hated urban living simply because he was a country bumpkin at heart. He detested the then new-money Grosse Pointes as well. His ideas of living were more in line with Frank lloyd Wright than with Albert Kahn I suppose.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Ford only hated Jews because they controlled the financial markets, and that's the one aspect of his business he didn't control..."

I've always understood his falling out with the Jews was over the steel mills in Pittsburgh. Bethlehem et al. They got together and inflated the price (or so he claimed they did, was probably just demand driven) because they knew he had to have it. The reason he built Rouge steel.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3860
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're kidding me, right?

You said: "Ford only hated Jews because they controlled the financial markets, and that's the one aspect of his business he didn't control."

And then you said that this information came from the class you took.

We had established that fact.

Furthermore, the first protocol of the alleged Rabbis was: "we have established the new aristocracy on the qualification of wealth...the power of gold." I have my source reader in front of me now.

This protocol was endorsed by Ford and printed in a newspaper which he all but owned.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wasn't taking a position on whether the Jews controlled the financial markets or not...I'm saying that I don't see how anything you've posted proves that they did not...

And it's not anti-semitic to say that Jews controled the financial market...Jewish culture views banking as a very noble profession and encourages pursuit of that profession...many of the bankers that HF dealt with were probably Jewish...now, that doesn't mean there was some Jewish conspiracy to screw over HF...

but given that it was the one aspect of his business he did not personally control, it's easy to see why he would be unhappy with the people who controlled the financial markets and why he would lash out at them any way he could...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow this is getting complicated.

I was not trying to prove that Jews didn't control financial markets, as I thought that was well-understood as folklore and the fodder of anti-Semites. Just because many Jews were in that field does not mean they dominated the practice.

I'm shocked that you don't agree with the historians: one of the ways Ford was anti-Semitic was in his belief that they controlled the financial market. If you want to insinuate that maybe they did control it, and demand that I show better proof that they did not, I recommend that you keep that view quiet.

Jewish culture was forced into money-lending because, in the Medieval era, the Church and various states (basically the same thing), banned Christians from money-lending, and banned Jews from guilds and skilled trades. Since the money market had to exist, someone had to service it, and it fell to Jews. During the Enlightenment and age of emancipation 1750-1850, Jews were allowed and encouraged to enter skilled trades again. Many thus became farmers and artisans, and with the slow and steady migration to America, most adapted these skills to entreprenuership, peddling, and sometimes banking in America. But the notion of Jews being dominate in banking is truly an old world, European thing, which colored the view of modern racial anti-Semites.

This field of study is one of my concentrations. I'd love to talk about it all day, but I have to study for an exam in that subject matter now. Please reconsider your view that saying that Jews control the financial market in modern times (i.e. the time of HF) is not anti-Semitic.

That's all.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Allan Nevins & Frank Hill's history of Henry Ford and his company, they state that Albert Kahn was one of a couple of Jewish friends who refused to break with Ford after the publication of his anti-semitic articles in the Dearborn Independent.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just because many Jews were in that field does not mean they dominated the practice."

Alright, you're getting a little out of hand with this ...I can see you've had a ton of PC nonsense crammed down your throat as your pouncing at any at the opportunity to turn a discussion about Jewish bankers into a discussion about a Jewish conspiracy...whether you realize it or not, you validated what I was saying with your last post

HF likely had to deal with a number of bankers in his time, many of whom were Jewish...while "control" of the financial markets is a question of one's perspective, all it takes is for one or two powerful Jewish bankers to have affected Ford's access to capital in a way that he didn't appreciate it for them to control the financial markets from his perspective...

You need to throw the Jewish conspiracy crap out the window as it is preventing you from having an intelligent discussion on this topic...

Saying that a lot of bankers are Jewish is no more racist than saying that a lot of rappers are black...when a culture respects and encourages pursuit of a certain profession, people who adopt that culture tend to aspire to that profession

I recommend that you cool it with the PC bullshit...it just lets people know that you lack the ability to think for yourself...

good luck to you

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there should be anything wrong with stating the fact that Jews have been very prominent in the banking industry.

The Chairman of the Federal Reserve, a position some people argue is one of the most important in the world because of its influence, has been held by Jews since 1987: Alan Greenspan for eighteen of those years, and his successor, Ben Shalom Bernanke, our current Chairman (his name means "son of peace" in Hebrew).

The last two Presidents of the World Bank have been Jews: James Wolfensohn from 1995-2005, and Paul Wolfowitz, who succeeded him.

The Secretaries of the Treasury from 1995 until 2001 were also Jews, Robert Rubin and his successor, Larry Summers.

Even the current Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund is a Jew, Dominique Strauss-Kahn (a French Jew).

And that's just recent times. Maybe you've heard of the Rothschild family? They were the Jewish family that developed international banking in the 1700s.. the family still controls banks throughout Europe today.

I don't think there's anything wrong stating these facts. The problem, historically, has occurred when some of the non-Jewish population that had no money or economic power saw so many Jews in positions of economic power and found it easy to blame their financial problems on the Jews (as a whole).

In Nazi Germany, ethnic Germans saw their economy in tatters but saw many Jews still very well off. By forcibly removing the Jews from society and confiscating all of their property, they were able to "return" all of that capital to themselves.

So I think a lot of Jews get a bit scared and uncomfortable when people start talking about their vast accomplishments, because, they worry, based on past history, that some non-Jews will develop anti-Semitic thoughts.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The problem, historically, has occurred when some of the non-Jewish population that had no money or economic power saw so many Jews in positions of economic power and found it easy to blame their financial problems on the Jews (as a whole)."

Exactly correct. This is the context which Henry Ford entered into. That's why when we assess his statements that "Jews dominate the financial market" we have to take it as more than just an observation like what you made about some prominent Jews being in high positions, but rather a statement loaded with disdain. Would that be putting words in Ford's mouth? I think not. His record speaks for itself. The International Jew and the Protocols were egregious.

Earlier I was testing TJ, and just wondering how his prof. presented material. IF, in the context of discussing Ford and the buildup to the Holocaust, statements about Jewish financial dominance aren't taken as anti-Semitism, that is a problem. His ties to Germany and the Dearborn newspaper should suggest that he was frustrated to the point of thinking their was an actual conspiracy which didn't exist. The people of Germany were frustrated, too...

All of those examples of prominent people, even if they all had similar parallels in 1920, do not justify a view which blames hardship on their presence. Research would reveal that financial professions in the US in the early 20th century were awfully WASPy, anyway; nativism was strong and most immigrant groups including Jews were held down. Europe is a different scenario, but Ford wasn't really dealing with Europe, was he?

It's not PC bullshit to take these matters slowly and in detail, in an attempt to get important facts right. It's definitely not PC to call out HF for what he was, at least for most of his life. You also need to be able to detach yourself from present-day ideas that would color your view of past events. A sizable package of ideas that can all be assumed to be part of standard racial anti-Semitism from the 1920s may not, at least at a singular level, be anti-Semitic at all today. We had some confusion over that when I was talking to TJ earlier.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

he had to go and ask them nicely for money whenever he wanted to do this and he hated it

This was frequently cited as the reason for Ford's dislike of Jews, but has been discounted since Ford never borrowed money from any Jewish banking house during his lifetime. No one seems to know where his anti-Semitism sprang from. Some believe it was a product of growing up in a rural community, some blame his failed peace ship mission, some even blame the influence of his friend Thomas Edison, who in a mis-interpreted remark, blamed WWI on the commercial success of Germany, made possible by German Jews.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone inersted in this subject should read "Henry Ford and the Jews" by Neil Baldwin.

Henry Frod had good relations with Jews such as Albert Kahn and Rabbi Leo Franklin.

If you study this question carefully, Henry Ford was really upset with the all bankers, many of whom were Jews on the east coast.

Henry Ford was a very complex personality and his anti-semitism phase certainly wasn't universal and has been unfairly portrayed.

Bob Cosgrove

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone familiar with the slander case Ford lost that was based on remarks he made at the outset of WWI? I'm pretty sure either the plaintiff, an armaments manufacturer, or the movie studio execs involved were Jewish and he accused them of propagandizing for US entry in the war.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard this. However, it IS a fact that Kahn designed the Detroit Athletic Club but was not allowed inside of it because he was Jewish.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slight adjustment there. He was offered admission but turned them down because he refused to be the only Jew they allowed in.

This thread should be a reminder to us of just how recent racial anti-Semitism is. 1880-1945, the modern era in history, was the apex of the phenomenon in the western world; it was certainly present in America, too. None of this is ancient history, as we see how it touched people in our city in not-so-distant years.

Neither is a whole lot of discrimination between peoples in this country and especially this state. It continues until today in some respects.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also should be noted that his home on Mack Avenue has absolutely no historical marker whatsoever mentioning the man. I cant even understand that.

Urban League is swell, but there is plenty of room on that front lawn for two signs.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, Mauser? I guess I've never even hunted around for a marker when I walk by there. Interesting. Too bad.

It's a beautiful house.

Patrick

Post Number: 5163
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He added mon the back wing later on. I think it was actually his library...

The whole Jewish/Christian divide was pretty evident simply by looking at Boston-Edison versus Arden Park. The wealthiest Jews lived in BE, and many new-money wasps of the time lived in Arden Park, which was developed by Max Broock. This extended into the Pointes...even today there might only be a handful of Jews living in GP.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5619
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is very excellent. Keep up the fine scholarship.

It can be noted that there's a Grosse Pointe Jewish Congregation which meets in a Church. There is an active synagogue in Troy, Michigan so the Eastside is home to Detroit area Jews.

There may be Jewish bankers in Detroit but jjaba sure as hell never met them. Even today, the vast numbers of Jews in Detroit or the USA are NOT in banking. Like you, we endure bankers.
As jjaba has pointed out, Jews are all over Detroit, in commerce, trades, prfessions, education, land and real estate, retail, the arts, etc.

Albert Kahn built 30 Ford assembly plants all over the USA and Canada, 1912-17.. Among them are Denver, Portland, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Seattle, Oklahoma City, Charlotte, Omaha, Fargo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington, DC, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, Long Island, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Cambridge, Mass., Columbus, Ohio, St. Louis, Atlanta, Louisville, Memphis and Walkerville, Onario.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but Ford did not torture people.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4053
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, interesting that you know about the congregation in GP. I had not heard about that. See, you do have some proficiency in things east side!

I knew no more than ten Jewish classmates at Grosse Pointe South. I'd estimate that 2-3% of the 1500 school was Jewish. The patterns of migration for the Detroit community were clearly NW, and started in central and western Detroit anyway. The long-running discrimination in the past in eastern Detroit neighborhoods and especially Grosse Pointe did not help, and set us up to where we are today.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4313
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years back a friend of mine who owned a house on Edison, just down the street from the Ford house, said that Ford moved when Judge Butzel moved into 101 on the street. [Side note, while checking into this looking in my 1929 city guide, I see that Horace Rackham lived at 90.]

I never heard any substantiation of that. Has anyone else heard anything on that?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5620
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, just for your information, Jewish Detroit started from the Eastside, at the Detroit River, up Hastings Street which was a huge Jewish community, 75 yrs. ago. East Ferry St. was a big Jewish community and Jews lived in Hamtramck. Then, at about Clairmont, they eased over to the Westside after building some communal institutions along Woodward.

Yes, a minority of Jews moved East in Detroit and out to the suburbs. E. Mc Nichols and Van
Dyke was also a Jewish area at one time.

There are about 80,000 Jews in Metro Detroit and today, only two Detroit synagouges remain.
One is a congregation in Lafayette Park and the other is the Downtown Synagogue.

Jews have lived on W. Michigan and Junction and in Del Ray over the years. There are Jews downriver too.

jjaba, Westsider.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jjaba. I had heard a little bit of evidence about some Jews on the near east side, but I did not know there were established communities.

All very interesting.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5632
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One rare thrill for jjaba was in Moscow, Russia. jjaba was on an architectural historians tour (as a lurker BTW) when our American guide told us that we were passing the Albert Kahn auto factory. It was pure Kahn, similar in design as our Kahn monuments in Detroit, Dearborn, Highland Park, etc. The Russians had hired him to design several factories around the country.

Detroit is everywhere in the World and this was a source of great pride for jjaba.

jjaba is a son of the Arsenal of Democracy, Detroit. Seeing a "Made in Detroit" tank credited for winning the War in a London museum is a similar example.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grosse Pointe Jewish Council meets weekly for Services at the GP Congregational Church on Chalfonte in the Farms. We have welcomed them to conduct Services in our Church for a few years now. Good folks!!
I even got to hear the shofar a couple of years ago.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5645
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock davens on Rosh Hashanah.
There's a sight, The Rock with Yarmulka on head, tallis prayer shawl, and no socks with the dress shoes. Send us a picture.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

The_rock

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Yarmulka has a yellow block M on it, so it is quite distinctive.
And I thought the Rules of Halacha don't allow me to wear socks anyway.
We have enjoyed the Council's stay at our Church. The Cantor gives me tips on the stock market.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5652
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock's church pays The Cantor so ein bissella, so little for the Yiddel that he has to moonlight playing fiddle in middle of the lobby at the Edward Jones Brokers down the street.

Yikes, I hope you don't ask for stock tips on Shabbos, that would be Saturday.

According to the rabbinic scholars in the Talmud, socks are allowed in Temple after Labor Day and anytime when washing down a camel. Oy veyesmere, don't get jjaba started with the socks bit, please.

jjaba, wearing Bo's yarmulka, LOL.

The_rock

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I stopped by church this morning, there was a GP Jew washing down a camel in our parking lot. And he was not wearing socks. (The Jew, not the camel.)
So I showed him a Talmud and told him to call you collect.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5660
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There goes the neighborhood. First, they won't eat your food, and now the camel. Wait till their kids start schlepping celli and contra bass' down the streets of Grosse Pointe.

jjaba, wearing The Rock's tallis.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.