Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Best Web Site? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.wayne.edu

Is it really that good? I've always thought it could use major improving (seemed very template based) - but it's been ranked as the 6th best collegiate website in the country. Agree or disagree?

http://www.eschoolnews.com/new s/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=7439

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is a content-driven ranking, with ease of use foremost. with that, I would say yep -- it is good. what info do you want? it's right there, either on the sidebar or the pull-down menu. it loads fast, etc.

so many sites get bogged down with all the cool crap you can do, but miss out on actually being useful. cheers to WSU for doing something that works instead

(Message edited by rb336 on October 22, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Detroit Mercy has updates there's several times in the last few years. I like it better after every update, and way better than Wayne's: www.udmercy.edu (but then I am biased toward my alma mater).

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belleisle,

The site was rated by high school students and ONLY the Admissions info was evaluated, not the over all site.

I wish they would make it easier to find their research databases, but the site as a whole is okay.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. Here it is...

http://www.admissions.wayne.ed u/

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If WSU's website is ranked 6th in the country, higher education is in a sorry state of affairs.

I hate the WSU website, its convoluted and the lack of a constant template/look is irritating. You have the homepage template, the pipeline template, the blackboard template, the registration template, and a couple more if I am not mistaken. I feel like I have to relearn the website every time i want to register for classes.

(Cue stories of old farts yelling about standing in long lines and writing their names on chalkboards for registration).

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 549
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traxus,

^^Its Admissions Section was ranked, not the overall site.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maddox has the best site
maddox.xmission.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M addox_(writer)

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh WSU's site seems impossible to use. I like MSU's site. Kind of a plug and play variety.

Very user friendly. When one registers for classes you plug in the class numbers and it tells you if the class applies to your major.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares about the admissions page. All of those websites on that list looked absolutely horrible.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3864
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once you're off of Wayne's main page, some of their other pages are really hard to navigate and ugly.

The admissions page is so important to prospective students. A good one is imperative.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better blame the budget cuts. That always keeps us quiet.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh, how much money does the president of WSU make now?

Any body know?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger scribbled:

When one registers for classes you plug in the class numbers and it tells you if the class applies to your major.

Anyone else remember wandering around the fieldhouse, table to table, and getting punch cards for a class? No punch cards, the class is full. Try next semester. The dopey student worker gives you the wrong punchcard... eh, you're screwed, drop the class and hope for an opening.

Did the class apply to your major? You got a thick, paper, course catalogue and newsprint semester schedule of times, days, rooms, and instructors.

After a couple of years of this, you felt like you could do the logistics for the D-Day invasion on the back of a napkin! :-)

(Message edited by jrvass on October 23, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.