Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Thoughts of the new mall » Archive through October 22, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4156
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc -

I don't care about your article, it is another libs opinion. He doesn't like sprawl, fine. You want development in Detroit instead? Go out and do it. Put together a business plan and present it to potential investors and see what they tell you.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping malls are very strange animals when it comes to development and operation. Without delving into the nuances, the original construction is not always made with the idea of necessarily generating an operational profit over their life span.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care about your article, it is another libs opinion.

So in other words, you don't have a constructive rebuttal?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's annual $10 billion expenditures to support sprawl is hardly the stuff of opinion.

I would think an anti-tax zealot such as yourself, PG, would be screaming for fiscal responsibility in such matters.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4157
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rebuttal is that not everyone loves Detroit or big cities in general. They don't want to live, work, or shop there. Get over it. They will invest their money and live where they see fit.

If it doesn't pan out, that is matter for them. If the people in the city would focus on improving it, they would attract investment dollars too. There is not "entitlement" for Detroit to be given preference over any other area. It needs to compete for investment dollars like anywhere else.

Why are you people obsessed with telling people where they should live and where their money should go?

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 22, 2007)

Umcs

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

I read the article but I do have a few critiques about it since it appears more of an op-ed piece.

First, how are they measuring sprawl? I recall that when I traveled regularly by train from Detroit to Milwaukee (it was cheaper than flying back then), that a large number of bedroom communities existed outside of Chicago. Likewise, in DC, the metropolitan area has huge sprawl that I find worse than Detroit by far. Tyson's Corner is particularly bad.

Basically, it just seems as though the author is stating sprawl is bad because it costs more. Well, duh. We all know that. However, what I don't get is any proposed solution other than mandating by fiat where people can and cannot live. Additionally, the $10 billion figure is on economic development which is not 100% correlative with infrastructure development. As for being 17% of the budget, that's nonsense. Only about 1/4 of the budget is discretionary in nature. the $10 billion figure would easily eat up more than the discretionary portion of the overall state budget so this figure is flatly false. That's like saying the state can just cut 5% out of all budgets and balance the budget. Simplistic thinking isn't true. Don't play that game.

Danindc

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UMCS--you need to read the article (and my posts) a bit more carefully before you comment.

I'll reiterate this for anyone who still thinks this mall is a good thing:

quote:

If the source of enduring prosperity was more cars, more highways, more parking lots, and more suburban sprawl, then Detroit and its suburbs should be like Paris.

Let that sink in.

PG says this:

quote:

The rebuttal is that not everyone loves Detroit or big cities in general. They don't want to live, work, or shop there. Get over it. They will invest their money and live where they see fit.

If it doesn't pan out, that is matter for them. If the people in the city would focus on improving it, they would attract investment dollars too. There is not "entitlement" for Detroit to be given preference over any other area. It needs to compete for investment dollars like anywhere else.

Perhaps he can readily address this statement, then:

quote:

For example, the Legislature established the state Transportation Economic Development Fund in 1987 to invest in highways, roads, streets, and other infrastructure that support new jobs. Of the $382 million spent since 1988, 78 percent, or $297 million, went to new suburbs and rural areas; just 22 percent, or $85 million, went to core cities.

The big winner was Auburn Hills, an upscale suburban Oakland County community of 20,000 people. It received more than $25 million, or $1,250 per resident, for streetscape improvements, new roads, a bicycle path, and other amenities. That was $5 million more than Pontiac, which received just $303 for each of its 66,000 residents, and $2 million more than Detroit, which received a miserly $25 for each of its 920,000 residents. Meanwhile, thousands of people in both Detroit and Pontiac have no good way to get to jobs they desperately need.

http://mlui.org/growthmanageme nt/fullarticle.asp?fileid=1678 6

If you argue that private investment doesn't necessarily follow public investment in infrastructure, then you are a moron. Choice, my ass.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Government tax money for infrastructure improvements should go back into already developed areas. The state is not in good shape and by spending on new development, roads, water, sewer, it just adds to the maintenance load that must in turn be paid for by tax dollar. Sprawl makes no sense for our cash strapped state.

I would also venture to say there are alot of people in the city who are very interested in improving the city and they work toward that goal, but they are working against very large odds. Its not something that you can just stand up and do it takes time. Things get worse alot faster than they get better, healing takes time its a fact of nature.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you people obsessed with telling people where they should live and where their money should go?

Interesting. This is exactly how I feel when the topic of whether or not I should be driving an American car arises (I have never owned a non-American car, btw).

On the other hand, metro Detroit's housing market is deeper in the shitter than any other metro of it's size, or larger, in the country. I have to believe that the sprawl happy policies are contributing to it.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you every think that Auburn Hills was the winner because it had the best chance of paying off on the investment? This is the old refrain about "Detroit subsidizing the suburbs" again eh?

There have been billions of tax dollars poured into Detroit for decades, what is the payoff? Not much. Once again you are implying that Detroit should be given preferential treatment yet they have not proven they can manage the assets they have.

Government tax money for infrastructure improvements should go back into already developed areas into areas that show the best potential for success.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 22, 2007)

Danindc

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Government tax money for infrastructure improvements should go back into already developed areas into areas that show the best potential for success.

How do you propose we measure success? And are we to believe it's acceptable to simply abandon a city of over 800,000 people because self-righteous pricks don't believe that Detroit matters?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you argue that private investment doesn't necessarily follow public investment in infrastructure, then you are a moron.

Translation: What bridge that DDC is trying to sell us is that the private sector will gain if the public sector investstaxes. However, the very nature of taxing saps capital from the private sector, at least somewhere...

What DDC conveniently fails to state is that the public and private sectors in DC gain because the federal government utilizes the private sector there in its spending and distribution of funds. Obviously, in a zero-sum game, there are winners and there will be losers. Detroit will never win, considering all the insurmountable negatives the area has stacked against it.

Increased public-sector spending in Michigan simply means that the private sector there will necessarily be worse off. Period.

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all malls, get in class rooms halls.. feel on donkey walls.. and play with kick balls......

basically they suck.

Danindc

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What DDC conveniently fails to state is that the public and private sectors in DC gain because the federal government utilizes the private sector there in its spending and distribution of funds. Obviously, in a zero-sum game, there are winners and there will be losers. Detroit will never win, considering all the insurmountable negatives the area has stacked against it.

What does DC have to do with this???

Maybe you can explain why Detroit peforms so piss poorly compared to EVERY other region in the U.S., save for New Orleans.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The folks that are abandoning the city are doing so for many reasons, talk to them. Are the thousands of blacks who left a bunch of self-righteous pricks? No, they got tired of the bullshit.

Even if you could force people to invest in the city it wouldn't matter. You could build a mall in Detroit and it would fail. The people with the dollars to spend wouldn't go there in sufficient numbers. There used to be lots of retail in Detroit, in fact it was the best place to shop. It's all gone and it is not because of a lack of government spending.

Other cities have done just fine with large suburban ares around them and other challenged cities have turned around. When the people who run the city manage to do that, they will attract dollars from government and the private sector, until then, life goes on.

Danindc

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^In the meantime, it's acceptable to funnel ever-more money into physical expansion for a region that hasn't grown in population for over forty years?

quote:

If the source of enduring prosperity was more cars, more highways, more parking lots, and more suburban sprawl, then Detroit and its suburbs should be like Paris.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like god took a crap off of M-59/Hall Road... Just what we needed in Macomb County another trendy/hip/upscale spread my logo feces mall with overpriced goods that most people can't really afford. Unless they are these arrogant self-centered yuppies from suburbia driving in there hip/cool suv's to the mall to buy a $500 pocket book & charging it on there husbands credit card driving him closer to insanity when he see's the credit card bill...Gotta love all this packaged, processed & pasterized goodness society serves us at this logo feces filled mall(Yes I am going on one of my rants & my feelings about this place). I live in suburbia, but I keep myself on a budget & try not to buy what I don't need & that mall doesn't offer me other then some good laugh's when I go there to check out all the corporate logo feces smeared all over the place as I watch Todd & Buffy go shop at one of these overpriced stores. Isn't this great how american society has turned out now, no where else in the world can you probably buy processed cheese in can, eat packaged deli meats & drink sugary soft drinks that aren't good for you....I can now see how long we've come along on the evolutionary ladder.

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this new mall close to lakeside mall on hall road? It seems weird to build a new mall if lakeside mall is so close.

Umcs

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oi, Dan, I'm not disagreeing with the concept that sprawl is bad. Easy on the Starbucks. I'm disagreeing with the Op-Ed piece and its use as an evidentiary tool.

"If the source of enduring prosperity was more cars, more highways, more parking lots, and more suburban sprawl, then Detroit and its suburbs should be like Paris."

This is an ad hominem argument. Prosperity and sprawl do not equal a one-for-one correlation. Additionally, we shouldn't even digress into the housing and land-use practices of Continental Europe. They used entirely different models post-WWII. It has sunk in and your argument doesn't hold weight based on that statement alone.

As for this second article, it does not match with the purported figures in the first article.

The original article states:

"Michigan spends $10 billion a year on economic development, much of it directed to lure people and jobs out of cities and older suburbs to the exurbs."

The source states:

"In 2001, the latest year for complete figures, state and local governments invested $10.1 billion for roads, buildings, schools, water, sewer, public safety, and other infrastructure and services without which sprawl cannot proceed."

The figure he cited is incorrect as stated in his first article. He is broadening the definition of economic development to include all public services provided at a state and local level. His original statement is flat out wrong and there is no supporting it without significant contortionism on the part of the advocate. He should have used the original phraseology in his second article.

Additionally, based solely on the information provided regarding Auburn Hills, do you find it coincidental with respect to the years in question and a certain automaker? With respect to roads, how is this allocation of non-"core cities" spread between suburbs of Detroit and say for instance, development of rural areas? Was it for paving projects of dirt roads?

His explanation is simply insufficient to justify his statements and conclusions without additional review. He attempts to rationalize a position without providing the specific evidence necessary to back up his claims. Repeating it as authoritative research adds to the misinformation regarding the subject matter.

Additionally, no, I don't believe public investment in infrastructure necessarily will result in private investment. Private investment varies considerably depending on economic circumstances. Public investment certainly does assist in that however.

Feel free to call me a moron if you like but I think citing this article in response to PG's opinion does nothing to further the discussion other than providing additional positional statements passed off as unassailable fact.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civilprotectionunit4346

I take it you down own anything namebrand and all your food is homegrown?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new mall is a couple miles down M-59 from Lakeside (which ironically Taubman built and owned until the early part of this decade). The idea is that these two malls will co-exist like Oakland Mall and Somerset Collection do in Troy. Time will tell.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDC must be clueless if he cannot make a mental connection with Detroit's lack of prospects for a better future with the fact that two-thirds of its adult population is illiterate and possess lousy collective work skills and ethics. Some three-fourths of its school kids drop out...

Some rechargeable batteries are beyond recharging, Dan. The best and most expensive charger wouldn't help.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about two miles. I dont know though with the amount of Retail on the Hall road Corridor that is yet to fail I would not be surprised if both malls do well. The papers have covered some of the issue.http://macombdaily.com/stories /101507/loc_lakeside001.shtml
Every year more and more retail goes in and stays open. I suppose it will do good until the county gets their way with 26 Mile Rd. Which can be viewed here and then clicking on "Publications" It is the one on the bottom. http://www.rcmcweb.org/
Oh yea Walmart is ready to build next to the new mall as well. I cant wait for the snooty people to be upset by a WalMart attracting the Riff Raft!
http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/102207/loc_walmart001.sht ml

Danindc

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DDC must be clueless if he cannot make a mental connection with Detroit's lack of prospects for a better future with the fact that two-thirds of its adult population is illiterate and possess lousy collective work skills and ethics. Some three-fourths of its school kids drop out...

Well, the laws of economics don't recognize the limitations of Eight Mile Road. There's a reason that all of Southeast Michigan--and the State, for that matter--are in the shitter.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i grew up at hall and romeo plank, that area did not need a new mall. the traffic congestion was bad enough 10 years ago, now i can only imagine.

Umcs

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY,

That last post is so wrong in so many different ways.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit's lack of prospects for a better future with the fact that two-thirds of its adult population is illiterate and possess lousy collective work skills and ethics. Some three-fourths of its school kids drop out..."

I always wondered what study concluded that the majority of Detroit is illiterate? Can anyone provide some proof or link to the survey/study?

3/4 of students drop out? Come on now... I need some kind proof on that as well.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did they justify locating this new Partridge Creek mall only one (or two?) miles east of Lakeside mall? I assume there's a good reason but I can't imagine what it is. Am I confused about its location?

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have clothes....just that I don't go out & buy over priced crap like they sell at that place....the thing about food is that I cook all my own dinners...don't have anything home grown. I eat healthy.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried getting into Partridge Creek off of Garfield this weekend(shhhh, nobody knows about that entrance). Cops had it all blocked and there was a line about a mile long…maybe longer. So I ended up driving through Ravioli Estates trying to get to Partridge Creek (the road). I ended up driving right through where the first tee off for the north nine used to be. I played that course for years in HS.

I think Lakeside is going to need a flashy makeover soon or it will start to lose more shoppers to this new Mall.