Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Berry Gordy Boulevard.... » Archive through October 18, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Council hard @ work again

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071017/NEW S01/71017076

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How thoughtful.

This is probably a good time to list all that Berry Gordy has done, and continues to do, so selflessly for our fine metropolis.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just petition the city council of the southern California town where he lives to name a street after him, that way he can enjoy it more often.

Aren't there bigger fish to fry here in the D?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it ironic that Grand Blvd. still has signs calling it "General Motors Blvd." in the New Center area. Will those remain? I can't wait to drive down "Grand General Berry Gordy Motors Blvd."

Thanks, Martha.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an honor!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Sonny & Cher said: And The Beat Goes On!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's quite a stretch of road. Cool Beans Berry!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10518
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should name a 100 yard stretch of Woodward at the corner of Woodward and the 75 service drive after Berry Gordy. The vacant lots of the old Motown HQ would represent his committment to Detroit rather well. Spraot to the service drive on Woodward shall be the new Berry Gory drive. Of course they would need to change the name if anything is ever built there.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Actually, considering the shape of the neighborhood of W. Grand Blvd along the stretch that they're considering... I'd say it's as good of a place as any to make a statement!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She finally got something done!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's West Grand where it'll be BG Boulevard, west of the Lodge. East of the Lodge, General Motors Blvd.

Amazing that one person is supposed to single-handedly lift Detroit up.

Jt1

Post Number: 10519
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Amazing that one person is supposed to single-handedly lift Detroit up.

Who said anything about that? I just think that continuing to homor someone that abandoned the city years and years ago is a waste of time and a waste of resources.

What has BG done for the city since Motown moved to California? I don't blame him for doing what is best for his business but I see no need to honor him. If the signs cost the city $1 that is money we can't afford to spend on frivilous garbage (no matter what is being named or for whom)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 845
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Berry want be coming to the dedication

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know when that dedication is on Friday?

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well it looks like her job is done here. Hopefully
she will retire now.

Pffft

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That attitude is so small town, it's ridiculous. He created a music empire. He's not an elected official, he's a businessman who made music that people bought.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and the thing about it is no one will mail anything to 1235 Berry Gordy Blvd.

I see renaming streets as a waste of money.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will he even show up for the dedication?

<313>

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5567
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit makes, the World Takes.
We have had thousands of native sons and daughters who have contributed to the World.

There's a Sammy Davis, Jr. corner in Chicago. He left too. Sinatra is honored in Hoboken, he left too. Roosevelt is honored in Hyde Park, NY. He left too. Susan B. Anthony is honored in Rochester, NY. She left too. George M. Cohan left Broadway, but is honored there.

jjaba is stuck with "The Blvd." He doesn't really care who's name is on it. If you say "The Blvd.", you can go from riverfront to riverfront on it.
Ah, such a GRAND Blvd.!

jjaba, on the Westside.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite the name they put on it, it's always going to be the Grand Blvd.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5192
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say Fuck Berry Gordy...

WTF has he done for the city that has done the most for him? Let him remain in Cali. I see his movie venture has really taken off...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5533
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should name a street after Bill Davidson... he took Detroit talent (Pistons) and only moved as far as Auburn Hills. It's not California, and the business stayed in the metro area... so lets name a Detroit street "Bill Davidson Drive"... NOT!

(Sarcasm off)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen DS Amen

Jt1

Post Number: 10542
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Davidson supports a lof of organizations in the city. I wish he hadn't moved the Pistons but he has supported the arts in a manner that is deserving of respect.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

howzabout Ernie Harwell Drive?

Jt1

Post Number: 10544
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we keep the names of the roads and save money on not creating new signs and road names.

I see it as a nickel here, nickel there way of savings money. It is a small amount but you find thousands of small amounts and you find a lot of money.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5193
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we name Grand Blvd.....Grand Blvd?

eh? eh?

Novel idea ri....

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Plus it's confusing as hell when the street you're on keeps changing names. It's like Third morphing into Anthony Wayne Drive for a couple blocks and then changing back just as suddenly. Those weird blue General Motors Boulevard signs are bad enough, but at least they left the Grand Boulevard signs up.

Jt1

Post Number: 10545
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite will always be:

Metro Parkway>16 Mile Road>Big Beaver>Quarton (or whatever it become)

Pffft

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relax. It's an honorary designation, which means there's a secondary sign for just a few blocks.