Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Dumb Happy Train Story « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had this crazy idea Sunday and it turned out be really cool.

I took my kids from Birmingham to Ann Arbor for the day via TRAIN. Yes, the train. Amtrak of course. It was SO amazing. I felt like I was living back in Chicago. It had never really dawned on me to use the Amtrack for local travel.

The train was full, which was really nice. The total fare for 3 people was $67. The kids also gorged themselves on pop and pizza, and that set me back about $15. The time each way was 90 minutes.

It was really fun. I would like to go to New Center next time.

The event really underscored how dumb it was for us not to have trains. Completely inane. I hear AA wants a 20 mile commuter rail that will only cost $4 million but they are short $2 million. It's criminal that our region cannot spring $2 million for 20 miles of commuter rail.

The train also offers a facsinating view of the city. I wish I had a camera. There are incredible opportunities for redevelopment. Not just great old builiding but huge, enormous tracts of vacant or under-utilzed land. Some of it is becoming re-forested. Truly incredible.

Since the train between Birmingahm and Dearborn is nearly empty, I think Amtrack is missing a chance to carry riders. It should really cut the fares between Pontiac and Dearborn and they could pick up some commuting business.

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have taken that train several times between Royal Oak and Chicago and it is a nice trip. As long as you don't need a car at your destination it makes sense, but unfortunately that is usually not the case. You would be hard pressed to amuse yourself in the New Center area for several hours between trains and it is a long walk to the museums for kids. Other than an occasional fun train ride it makes more sense to drive from Birmingham to Detroit - or even take the bus if they still run one.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you found out about that, Ray.

It takes about one hour flat to go from the A2 to Detroit station. That's about 15 minutes longer than a traffic-free drive (actually it may be pretty close because there is usually a ton of traffic on the A2 collector roads leading you from downtown to the freeways). It's really worth it in terms of having no stress. The rates for that trip run $11-17 depending on the day. I'll be taking that route for the first time since July later this week.

On the downside, they are rarely on schedule because of all the shared right-of-ways, and they only travel three times a day in each direction. We need commuter rail so bad.

And indeed, the views of the city are so much cooler than from the freeway.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our son, now almost 20, was (and still is) a HUGE train fan.

15 years he and I rode the train from Ann Arbor to Dearborn and paid $6 each. My husband, who worked in Dearborn, picked us up at the Dearborn station. Then we all headed to Henry Ford Museum to gaze at their rolling stock, especially the 600-ton 1941 Lima C & O 2-6-6-6 locomotive.

Agree completely that riding a train gives a very different view of cities and the land!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the New Center, you are right on the Woodward bus line and that runs every 10 minutes, I think. A short bus ride to MOCAD, DIA, Main Library, Science Center, African American Museum. The Children's Museum on Second is walking distance from the station. Or bus downtown and see Campus Martius, Greektown and the Riverwalk.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Or a cab.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.