Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tiger Stadium demolition begins » Archive through October 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10489
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see anything in this article saying that demolition has begun? (not to say it won't)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap..they just changed the article. It said demolition had begun Monday morning. I'm not crazy! please tell me someone else read it, too.

WTF

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The demo can't start yet. Gotta give people some time to pick up their $500 urinals ($640 after all the taxes and fees). How's that saying go about a fool and his money?

(Message edited by waz on October 15, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10491
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kid - I saw the article when it said demolition.

There is a lot of prep for demolition so that may be what is being done.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn..sorry about the misinformation on the link. I thought I could delete the thread, but I ended up only deleting my post with the link on it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you relink it, or is the whole story now gone?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14342977/detail.html

Here's the link. The story was originally very short, and just basically stated that it had begun today.

What is on the link now is a completely different story.

Jmarx

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read a post on another chatboard that there was a crane at the site and they were taking the letters "TIGER STADIUM" down....

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6677
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The demolition of Tiger Stadium will not begin until somewhat the end of the year. A fence barrier must be put up before construction begin.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures of the work being done today? The WDIV web page showed the "TIGER STADIUM" lettering being removed from the facade.

Also, has anyone been in to pick up an auction item? I'm wondering how it's being handled, if anyone has any pics of what the Stadium looks like with a lot of the seats removed.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Tiger Stadium" letters are going, I believe, to the DHM

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always love articles that tell you to click on the link for a larger image only to give you one that is about 5% bigger.

Jmarx

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigersfan9, to see recent pics of the stadium, search "tigers9282007" at www.flickr.com

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The end is near.
They also took the paneling that was above the office entrance. Not sure why. The paint had peeled so badly on it that you could see the old Tigers logo under the current one.
The letters are all gone from the Trumbull side.
There are still a few on the Michigan side. Not sure why they left them. Maybe it was quitting time. Maybe they were struggling to get them down. Other than that, no major changes to the outside of the park.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what we have to look forward to. Demolition video and stills from Comiskey Park in Chicago. Skip to the 1-minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =32yOBx2njqU

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonprofit submits plans for saving part of Tiger Stadium

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071017/NEWS01/ 71017086/1001

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw in last friday, all of the seats were gone and there were crews al over the field

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if any of those crew are taking any pictures and/or videos of the progress of the demolition?

Jmarx

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't understand is why the nonprofit that is attempting to save TS just doesn't put up a website and ask for donations...(they could put goals, Ie. we raise $xx amount and we can save xxx, etc).

If so many people want to save the stadium, they should be able to contribute to the efforts financially...

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Comiskey kept its seats green.
Blue and orange ... nice goin', Jim Campbell.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a group from a Flickr photogroup went there recently...Most of them where no talent hacks with no real appreciation for the stadium... I saw one of them trying to sell their half-assed pictures on myspace.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hack #1?

hack #2?

:-)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civil, what you got against the flickr gang? "no real appreciation for the stadium"? How could you know that?

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I smell worms

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live a block away and have seen no demolition... I will, however, be happy to see it, as long as it doesn't result in a new wal-mart ha ha ha...

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh sorry after reading the posts I guess it is what it is... que sera sera... corktown deserves better than abandoned used-to-be-glory... corktown is coming back pretty well... rental rates are going up, remodeling is really prevalent... TS is a disaster at this point...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCS is more of a disaster for Corktown than TS is.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but TS is something they actually have some semblance of control over. Not to mention it's more in the center of the neighborhood while MCS is more on the boundary. I'd argue that a derelict TS is a bigger hurdle for development in Corktown than the MCS in its current state. Nobody is holding onto surface parking lots waiting to see what happens with MCS.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reason why I saw that is most of them art dumb ass artsy fartsy photoggers! If you like there work then so be it. Me & my friends have more appreciation for the place then they did. Most of them got to go because they where nice little brown nosers... Speaking of which there's that one mentioned about on myspace. I just think there was alot of people left outta the whole outting that deserved to go along as well. But they deceided to take people who where the most brown nosers on the Flickr group. I'd hate to see a Walmart put in it's place. But with the way society is now...it's be either that, a walgreens, cvs, rite-aid, target or some other logo feces place. I understand the city needs some stores, but I think places like that undermine most areas.