Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Halloween parties of old « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back around 88 or so I attended one of the best Halloween parties at the Vanity Ballroom on Jefferson. The people there were mostly the same people that would have been at Todds or Bookies at the time. The costumes were quite interesting due to the amount of artists in attendance. The theater made me wish I could have seen Cab Calloway or any of the others that would have performed there.

Are there other interesting Halloween parties that have taken place in clubs, dance halls etc.? The rave scene started up around that time so I am sure they must have done something like that at the train station or another venue.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everytime I went to the CC bar I thought it was halloween

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happened to be in Lili's in Hamtramck in the early 80s for Hallowe'en. As I recall, there were two doors at the front entrance, an outer storm door then two swinging doors. The outer door opened and there was a shuffling before the second doors opened. In walked a traditional British phone booth, the person inside lifted it up and walked to the bar and set himself up next to the bar.
Another guy came in dressed with only a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair had the look of still being wet and combed back. Shaving cream covered half his face and a disposable razor was tucked inside the towel.
There was a guy named Tony who was a regular at Lili's. A friend of mine went dressed as Tony one year and everyone picked up on the costume much to Tony's visible displeasure.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I attended a masquerade party at the Detroit Science Center for Hallowe'en in the middle 80's. The theme was to come as an alien, like from another planet. We went as illegal aliens. We wore sombreros, had pistoleros; I carried (and drank mass quantities of) a six pack of Coronas and some salt, lemon & tequila...the whole get-up. My wife wore a goatee & mustache and we danced all night. We looked like two men who REALLY liked each other. It was the best party ever. Looking back on it, though, it seemed to be a little stereotypical. We weren't trying to offend anyone, we were just trying to win the "Best Costume" money. We didn't win but we had a great, great time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ghoul remember him? you freggin freaks?
he will be at the Jefferson Yacht Club this Saturday! party to be at with the freaks
It is at 24504 E. Jefferson, on the Nautical Mile. WRIF-FM radio personality Doug Podell is there too.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For several years back in the 80's, my friends and I had a Halloween tradition to go to wherever the 3-D Invisibles band was playing their "monster rock." This was usually at a Hamtramck bar. The year that the band performed in costume as Herman, Eddie & Grandpa Munster, I got onstage with them as Lily Munster for a couple songs (just dancing...my singing would really have been too scary.) That was so fun!

(Message edited by elimarr on October 25, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.