Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Thoughts of the new mall » Archive through October 22, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4431
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Detroit would rejoice if there were any traffic. About the safest places downtown are smack in the middle of its streets.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeside and the area around it is getting a $3 million makeover. City of Sterling Heights is being proactive with trying to fix up the area around it and a majority of the businesses around Lakeside voted to tax themselves to pay for it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

patrick are you a big red or a dakota cougar?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A UW-Madison study pegged Detroit's illiteracy of its blacks at 48% somewhere around 1995. Since then, there has been massive flight from the city.

The reporters or feature writers of Detroit's dailies have used the 60 to 70% illiteracy estimate since the late 1990s, BTW. Try searching it.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5075
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Patriot lol...from a Warren HS.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A UW-Madison study pegged Detroit's illiteracy of its blacks at 48% somewhere around 1995. Since then, there has been massive flight from the city.

The reporters or feature writers of Detroit's dailies have used the 60 to 70% illiteracy estimate since the late 1990s, BTW. Try searching it.

Hmm. I have searched Google and the UW-Madison's website for nearly 10 minutes and found no mention of any such study. I then spent an additional 5 minutes on the University of Michigan's site for good measure and still found nothing regarding a study done.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to guess a fellow HFII Falcon!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4435
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just Googled "detroit black illiteracy" and came up with this on the sixth hit:
quote:

From Newsweek: "An astonishing 47 percent of Detroiters, nearly one out of two adults in this predominantly black city, are functionally illiterate. (By way of comparison, the figure for Vietnam is 6.7 percent and 1.7 percent for Croatia.) Functional illiteracy relates to the inability of an individual to use reading, writing and computational skills in everyday life: filling out a job application, reading traffic signs, figuring out an election ballot, reading a newspaper, understanding a bus schedule or a product label—or an address on a sheet of paper." Funny, I googled this paragraph and tons of entries came up; lots of folks are quoting it everywhere, and Fred Reed did as well.

I remember, back in 1997, the state of Michigan computed Detroit's public school graduation rate at 29.7 percent.

Another hit on the second page of ten hits had this
quote:

The problems of Detroit in 2005 are not the problems of Montgomery 50 years ago. Today, Detroit blacks have legal equality and black representatives in political office — yet their city is in crisis. Detroit’s crime rate ranks as one of the nation’s worst — a shocking 42 homicides per 100,000 citizens. (New York, by comparison, has seven. Los Angeles, 17.) These are largely black victims of black criminals. While officially 12 percent, the city’s unemployment rate is estimated closer to 30 percent as the population’s staggering 47-percent adult-illiteracy rate and high taxes make Detroit inhospitable to business.

Changing the Google key to "Detroit illiteracy study" easily produced this from 1998 or earlier.
quote:

In the state of Michigan, 18 percent of adults, nearly one in five, were functionally illiterate. Detroit had the one of the highest illiteracy rates in the country, with 47 percent of its residents, nearly one out of two, scoring at Level I in the NIL survey.

You do know how to web search, don't you?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do know how to web search, don't you?

I do.

Do you know how to read?

I said I haven't seen information on a study being done. I have seen the number(s) plenty of times before. Just like I had seen the (false) claims that there were more black men in prison than college many times before.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4436
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I somehow believe that you really don't want to know or be reminded about that factoid. Still, it won't go away because of your ostrich-like attitude toward it...

The ubiquitous 47% figure refers back to the same "The State of Literacy in America" study performed some time around 1995 to 1998. One of those three above attributed it to an NIL study. Still, I believed that I came across something from the UW-Madison from that same time. Perhaps, that was the same as the NIL survey. Or maybe, that particular study might have been done by some prof there at my alma mater.

In any event, you now have the information that you said was nonexistent.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so 47% of residents of the City of Detroit are functionally illiterate. Instead of fixing the problem, just ignore it, hope it goes away, and throw more money at the never-ending sprawl machine.

Is that right?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can argue about the studies and exact numbers, but almost anyone would agree there is a literacy problem in the city, and it is something that is holding the city back.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that proponents of this figure need to dig a little deeper. The state of Michigan was not analyzed in the original and subsequent studies. Nor was the city of Detroit. The original sample size was a little over 19,000 people. It also factored in prison inmates. I question the source of this 47% figure because there is no publication other than an obscure quote by a blog to Newsweek on this figure.

Hypothetically, you could derive this figure by taking the data compiled in the original study and extrapolate it across the population in Detroit but boy, that makes some serious assumptions. I don't buy it.

As for practical illiteracy, I see it all the time in Detroit. Most often, it's nice older people who didn't have to learn to read and did not attend a public school system. This is only my anecdotal evidence though.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did find this:

47% of metro Detroiters are reportedly functional illiterate.

From the Detroit Literacy Coalition's web site: http://detlitcoal.org/statemen t.htm

Danindc

Post Number: 3511
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I did find this:

47% of metro Detroiters are reportedly functional illiterate.

Chances are, more than a few of them post on these forums.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartted,

I know the 47% figure has been cited in blogs, Newsweek, etc., but no one can point out how that figure was arrived at yet. I looked at the '92 study and nowhere does it mention Detroit or Michigan. This causes me concern because it obviously has to be an extrapolation of either other populations onto Detroit or it might possibly come from the original data set. However, I couldn't get the original data sets to work since I don't have the right software. Anyone else care to get the original data set to examine it?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5233
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

from that study we can see that its not Detroiters' who are illiterate but PG himeself...

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4167
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

from that study we can see that its not Detroiters' who are illiterate but PG himeself...

I am illiterate yet you cannot even avoid making a spelling error while calling ME illiterate?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, two.

Edit- No, correction, three. Two punctuation, one spelling.

(Message edited by dds on October 22, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good catch Dds, not to mention he is directing his comment to the wrong person.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the 47% figure has been cited in blogs, Newsweek, etc., but no one can point out how that figure was arrived at yet. I looked at the '92 study and nowhere does it mention Detroit or Michigan. This causes me concern because it obviously has to be an extrapolation of either other populations onto Detroit or it might possibly come from the original data set.

I know. I was just pointing out an interpretation (with slightly more credibility than someone's blog) attributing the figure to metro Detroit instead of just Detroit proper.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, but what does the percentage of functional illiterate metro Detroiters have to do with a new mall in Clinton Township and what people think of it?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3207
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because if they go out malling, it's all good.

But if they go out MAULING, well, then that's a problem.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, the laws of economics don't recognize the limitations of Eight Mile Road. There's a reason that all of Southeast Michigan--and the State, for that matter--are in the shitter."

Yeah, Michigan's economy is in the low part of the cycle, and when it rebounds, you'll just say that it's not doing as good as it would be doing if we adn't built a mall in Clinton Township...

It's perfect...you can't lose the argument...

Danindc

Post Number: 3512
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State is still spending $10 billion a year to build sprawl. Of COURSE the economy is never going to do as well as it could if it were concentrating on sustainable communities.

None of the money spent at this new Piece of Shit is "new" money. It's merely displaced from somewhere else in the economy. Only difference is, the taxpayers are stuck with the tab for the infrastructure to service this hellhole.

You still don't get it. Michigan is playing a zero-sum game.

(Message edited by DaninDC on October 22, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Then you admit that sprawl isn't the reason the state's economy is in the shitter...it's just of factor that contributes to whatever economic conditions we happen to have at any moment...

That's a far cry from you insinuating that sprawl is the reason the state is in the shitter...

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who knows anything about studies is that the results have a lot to do with who pays for the research.

For example lets say the D.P.S. wants a study done on how many 2007 H.S. graduates are going to college.

They might just have the company (probably owned by a relative of the school board) go to Cass Tech and Renaissance instead of Finney and Denby.

I know it's an extreme example but results can be fixed.

Like the recent study by Social Compact Inc. that found over 930,000 people in Detroit with an average household income of $47,000 ish.

Ya right.

Who was that commissioned by? The Detroit Economic Growth Corp.

Danindc

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Then you admit that sprawl isn't the reason the state's economy is in the shitter...it's just of factor that contributes to whatever economic conditions we happen to have at any moment...

That's a far cry from you insinuating that sprawl is the reason the state is in the shitter...

No. Please learn to read. Michigan is spending $10 billion a year to subsidize sprawl. That is money that could otherwise:

1. Balance the budget
2. Cut taxes
3. Fix existing infrastructure

It's hard to justify this kind of reckless, out-of-control spending when it produces negative rates of return in the form of decimated cities, and ever-more infrastructure to maintain.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4171
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you are saying that if the mall wasn't built Detroit would somehow benefit? No, the developers would go elsewhere, perhaps out of state. Would that be better? There would never be a tax cut with Granholm in office BTW.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This state's going to be in the shitter for a long time...If they can't balance the stupid fucking budget & try to bring some kind of growth to the job market, and i'm not talking about these little crap jobs that pop up here and there. The state can't even keep 4 out of 5 college students who graduate from there schools here. I can't blame them...why should you stay if there is no job market here for your degree. Ive said it before the downtown revitalizaion is great & all but I think that it's not gonna last. As many more people get fed up with the path this state is going on...your going to see a decline in the population again & the economy take a nose dive. And speaking of the economy..the economy for the whole country is doing terrible. I don't mean to sound so negative about the state & city of detroit, I just see things for how they are. Some people just want to be all postive & can't come to grip with the majority of the reality of some situations...they want to hold onto something so dearly they force themselves & others around them to believe the same. Feb/March to me seems like it's going to be when I probably will move outta here...I need a more financial stable job, a job that will pay me for my skills. I have been to alot of places in the US & the world..and let me saw...most of the world is brutal & cruel & dark...