Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Work @ the Fine Arts Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engineers are on site. They are assessing the ground under the building to see if it will support another structure.

My guess, they say it won't and Olympia has an excuse to take the whole thing down (not just the facade)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know what firm?

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, the facade is the only section intended to remain. the office section is coming out to be rebuilt

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5558
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're probably just doing some routine work.

If the block can hold a 18 story Kales Building, a (now gone) 7 story Hurley Hospital, a 20+ story Michigan Mutual Building, and a 14 story apartment tower (former shoe store at Woodward)... then I don't see any problem with rebuilding a 5 story Fine Arts Building.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are an Engineer Gistok?

Detroit_area_dork
Username: Detroit_area_dork

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they don't tear down the theater connected to it. The porting of the building facing grand circus park is probably beyond hope.

http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/adams/44.htm

Gistok

Post Number: 5560
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Rjlj. I am not an engineer. But anyone with half a brain knows that a site that can hold a 5 story building for nearly a century, is likely suitable for holding another 5 story building.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of this time last year, the plan was to have the Adams Theater gone as well, but I've been out of the loop since.

Gistok

Post Number: 5565
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Sciencefair, the auditorium portion of the Adams Theatre was never mentioned in any of the media articles relating to the Fine Arts Building reconstruction.

Since the Adams was an "alley jumper", any plans to leave the Adams alone would require the removal of the skyway above the alley (balcony seating), as well as the basement tunnel walkway below the alley (orchestra seating), and sealing off the auditorium.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say anything about the media. Perhaps I've said too much.

Gistok

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... that comment was priceless Sciencefair... :-)

The Adams was always the least attractive of the downtown movie palaces... in fact one can hardly use the term "palace" to describe it. It was very plain looking with very minimal ornate plasterwork. And most of that was removed in a modernization many decades ago.

To me the nicest part of the complex was always the facade. I remember going to the restaurant "ON STAGE" in the Fine Arts Building in the early 1990's. Too bad it was 15 years ahead of its' time...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.