Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » My Tiger Stadium seats arrived « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 970
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Came in a huge box via UPS today. Careful: It weighs 90 pounds. I guess guilt is heavy.
Even though I live about 2 miles from the Corner, the box was shipped from Indiana. I could have saved them a lot of trouble.
I got a pair of blue seats (was hoping for orange since I usually sat in those as a kid).
There is some paint wear in spots. The armrest between them is rather rusty. They still pull down with that same "creeeeeeeak" that I remember from my childhood, though. Oddly, they are a lot smaller width-wise than I remember.
They also are a lot dirtier than I remember. Makes me wish they came complete with a friendly, elderly usher to clean 'em up.
Would have been nice if Schneider or whomever could have hosed them down for you first. I went through half a roll of paper towel on one seat alone. Not exaggerating.
I feel bad having them here in Southwest Detroit when they belong at Michigan and Trumbull, but when she's gone, I'll be glad I saved at least a little piece. I'd rather have these than a 1997 Opening Day on-deck circle thing or whatever other crap they were selling.
Anyone get any of the Tiger Den chairs? If these are this dirty, I can't imagine how bad those must have been to clean.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures.
You can see how dirty they are. And the dirt is caked on, so you really gotta scrub.

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ seats.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ seat.jpg

I figure the dirt presented an opportunity to send a message. And in this case, the medium really is the message:
http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ ilitch.jpg

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on the seats! I saw a video that they posted on YouTube to promote their sale. At one point the guy said that the chairs would be dirty when they arrived at your home and then said all proudly "but it's authentic stadium dust!"
Gave me a bit of a chuckle.

Enjoy the seats! I bet they look cool in your home!

P.S. Your mind is not playing tricks on you about the chair width. You see, over time, the chair width shrunk... do not for a moment think that it was your bottom that got wider. *wink*

Mattb
Username: Mattb

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you cleaned them enough to sit in them? I was curious to see how the bracket worked. I am anxiously waiting for mine to be delivered...hopefully soon.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattb,
They're a little wobbly, but they didn't tip when I sat in one and gently rocked a bit. The brace is actually a great idea, but I'm not sure I want that metal gouging up my hardwood floors. Have to figure something out.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6195
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's time to build a small shrine-like platform to hoist these beauties up upon- not just to admire them but to spare your hardwood floors as well.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, you need to be looking down at the action - just like at a game.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilitch sucks."

Nice touch, Rawk!

Bonus points for spelling "Ilitch" right.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall correctly, those seats were wider than the ones they replaced during the Monnihan regime.
The green seats were actually smaller.
For an idea, check out the difference between the old balcony seats in the Redford Theatre compared to the seats on the main floor.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 675
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very, very cool. Makes me want a pair of my own

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone get a pair of orange ones? I can't imagine why they wouldn't have sold those. More importantly, did anyone get a pair of orange ones and want to trade for a pair of blue? :-)

Mattb

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The website that sold the seats lists blue as the only color. I never sat in the orange seats, but always liked the contrast of the orange.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bonus points for spelling "Ilitch" right."

Off the topic but fun useless info:

My friend is a cousin of Mike Ilitch and spells it with no "c" as is normal in Macedonian. He added the c to make it easier to pronounce it correctly.

Can't wait for my seats to arrive as well. Did you have a UPS tracking number?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they'll e-mail you a tracking number once it ships, Drankin.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's AWESOME!

<313>

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still waiting on mine. The auction site said they would arrive in mid-November, so they're doing pretty good. If I happen to somehow get orange, I might consider a trade, rawk.

I thought those seats would have sold out quickly, but the website seemed to indicate that there were still some available when the auction ended.

Mattb

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Freep, they sold just under 7000 pairs of seats. I can't imagine many would come from the upper deck since there's no easy way to get them down on the ground. 14,000 seats out of 40,000+ means a lot will probably just be cut up...how sad!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I SAY open the GATES.
Charge people to come in and take them out themselves.
75.00 for a pair of seats sounds reasonable to me.
That would mean an extra, what 35,000/2*75 =1.3 Mil.
That could pay for some legal expenses.

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 29, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 986
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, Lefty! U-Pick Tiger Stadium Seat Orchard!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.