Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Thinking of moving From The Detroit Burbs To The Burbs Of Chicago. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aholloway
Username: Aholloway

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Detroiters. I am A Detroiter to the day I die. I don't live in Detroit at this time because I work in Ann Arbor. I Work for a computer company In Ann Arbor doing I.T. I make a decent wage but I was offered a Job in Chicago.

I went on the interview and things were nice. This Job pays 7 thousand dollars more than where I am working now.
I like Chicago but I am lost. It is so hard for me to leave this place where I have Grown up. My family is here, my life is here, and my heart is here. I had to go off on someone in Chicago for dissing Detroit! That's my home. I just need some help. What would you guys do.

Also I don't have any kids and I'm not married this is strictly business. I just turned 30 and I wanted to try something new but now that it has come its scarry! Help!

God Bless You all and thank you in advance for your help.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you don't want your job in the Mitten, I'm sure there are plenty of people who do.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bye!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the job!
A pay increase is something you don't want to let slide. You can always come back for a visit...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3258
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the CNN Cost of Living calculator, you would need to make about $4,200 a year more for your money to go as far in Chicagoland as in Detroitland. So your raise will actually be only $2,800 a year. Something to consider.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools /costofliving/costofliving.htm l?step=result&current_salary=4 0%2C000&fromStateMenu=MI&from_ city=Detroit+MI&toStateMenu=IL &to_city=Chicago+IL&x=50&y=9

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4320
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only you can make this decision. Having said that, if you go and it doesn't work out you could probably come back providing you wouldn't need re-location expenses covered to do so.

IT jobs should remain available for a while, even in this area, so you could nab one and come back. They probably would not pay for re-lo though.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago suburbs are much more suburban than Detroit's, if can imagine that...

Depends on how much you are making now, but $7,000 does not sound like that much of a raise, esp. considering that CHI costs a bit more AND you would be moving away from everything you know and love.

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You always regret the things you don't do. If you are getting a pay increase, and a better job you should take it. You can always move back, or move on if Chicago doesn't work out.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs of Chicago are exactly the same as the suburbs of Detroit. Boring as hell. If your looking for a change, moving there is not going to help. As far as career, it depends on where you are on the totem pole now. That $7K isn't going to go very far in terms of cost of living and the fact that you may have to wait longer for raises, vacation, etc. P.s. - I moved to Chicago and moved back 3 years later. To me, family is more important.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very individual decision, but if you've spent your life thus far in SE MI there's value in moving around a bit. Chicago, East Coast, West Coast, overseas, it's all a broadening experience and easier to do when you're single.

If you try Chicago and want to come back, I-94 goes East, too.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, Track75.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...but if you've spent your life thus far in SE MI there's value in moving around a bit. Chicago, East Coast, West Coast, overseas, it's all a broadening experience and easier to do when you're single."

But people on this forum will critique you for trying this...

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chicago suburbs are terrible. Not so much different than Detroit's but I'd say worse. (of course, nothing to back that up, but thats the impression that I get living in chicago. At least I can admit it) Additionally, John I think its called Metro Detroit. If Chicagoans want to sound like idiots and pretend they are in a board game by calling their metro area "chicagoland" then so be it, but don't project that title onto our metro area.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3194
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THat always bugged me, too. I'm not a big fan of Chicago, even though I was born in "chicagoland" and spent much of my time there growing up, and am still a cubs masochist. hardly a "broadening your horizons" city, think new york with everything half scale (except the buildings)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How far out in the burbs is the job (ie. would it be practical to live in the city and do the reverse commute?)? I have a ton of friends who do that. I also have a few friends that relocated to Chicagoland and moved straight out to the burbs (way out past Joliet). The sprawl out that way is very similar to metro Detroit, but you are only an hour out of Chicago, one of the most thriving cities in the U.S.. I'm the same age as you, and considering a similar move, so I understand your hesitation. On one hand I love it here, and I love the challenge of improving the region, but wouldn't it be nice to live somewhere where you don't have to be an activist, or be considered to be making a political statement just by living in the city? I say have fun out there for a few years, then head back to Detroit and rejoin the momentum. Good luck with your decision.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chicago suburbs are much more suburban than Detroit's, if can imagine that...

Depends. If you're comparing something outside 294 to Royal Oak, yes, you're correct. Otherwise, for the most part, you're very wrong. Depending on where he's going (I didn't catch it), many of Chicago's suburbs were built around commuter train stops, and have functioning downtowns.

Aholloway, where's the job and where are you looking to live? I live in Chicago, and can advise you as to what suburbs are truly suburban hell, and which are nice bedroom communities, what kind of commute you'd be looking at, etc.

OWNING Real estate is much more expensive here than Detroit, that's the only real difference in cost of living that I've noticed.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicagoland is a wonderous place with a lot to offer. True, the outer suburbs are a little stiff, but there are many interesting neighborhoods within the city. Wicker Park is like a stylish Hamtramck, BoysTown is more gay than Fire Island, Rogers Park, Logan Square both have their own distinct flavor.

Inner suburbs like Oak Park, Evanston are more like Birmingham or Plymouth with working downtowns with a small-town feel.

The real downside to being in Chicago proper is parking. You can buy a parking space for about 10 grand or you can go through the hassle of driving around and around looking for a spot on the street. I'm sure a few folks might have a different opinion, but I have a daughter in Rogers Park who got rid of her car because of the parking and the 200 a month she spent on parking tickets. :-(

If you can, take a week's vacation from your current job and spend that time with the new firm. You can approuch the new guys with the idea of "freelancing" with them so they can get a feel for each other. Tell them, "I think it's best to date before we get married."

Think of the Chicagoland move as an educational adventure instead as a life changing decsion. That way you can take the pressure off yourself.

Oh yeah, give yourself a pat on the back for the job offer, that's great.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say go for it! Chicago is awesome!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As noted above, Chicago is tough to navigate: roads are a bear, and, anecdotally, mass transit is like our CBD... OK during business hours, but scary after five.

Also, you'll have to think carefully about where to live. If you change jobs you may feel like cutting your wrists once you discover that your second Chi job is two hours away, each way!

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go for it! I would definitely take the chance to go to Chicago. The suburbs are no different than really any major area. The traffic is bad, like in Detroit. There is endless sprawl, like in Detroit. But the city of Chicago is way more interesting than the city of Detroit. So, I would say its time to go.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aholloway,

It's funny how many folks here discount the family...

Here's a few considerations...

1) Do you own your own house? If so, you will have a lot of problems in selling it. Probably will have to take a steep discount to get it sold. And in Chicagoland home prices are steep.

2) Do you like traveling with the holiday rush mob for coming back to Detroit for the holidays with the family? Fly vs. drive.

3) Traffic in Chicagoland is horrendous during rush hour (even before and after). Do any mass transit lines go to where you would work?

4) Just because you are apprehensive, it sounds as though your heart isn't really into the move. If it seems scary to you, it probably will be.

5) Do you have any friends or family in Chicagoland? If not, it can be a lonely place being away from loved ones. Especially if you're not real outgoing at making new friends to replace the ones you're leaving.

6) $7000 is not that much when you have a higher cost of living. Also factor in the number of return trips to Detroit in that $7000. Soon it no longer seems like such a great amount.

7) As someone already mentioned... vacation time. Does a new job require fewer vacation days?

All things to think about...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Chicago for a year back in '95 when I was on the new Ford Taurus Launch and I LOVED it. I would consider moving back myself, but I have family and property obligations here. Chicago was great, but there was things here I missed. At that time Detroit had a better line up of radio stations and of course a Detroit coney blows away a Chicago coney any time. Winters there are a wee bit more harsh too, you are on the edge of the great prairie so you tend to get more snow and lower temps then we do. For this reason the Summers seem hotter too, but of course when I was there it was during that terrible heat wave that killed 500 people. Their public transportation system is excellent and makes ours look like the 1890s by comparison. Rail roads are king out there, and it seemed no matter where we drove there was a train to wait for.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 800
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go for it! Move to Chicago! You will grow as a person and you will love it! Embrace change, and don't let fear rule you and prevent you from seeing the world. Southeast Michigan has it's perks, but there is a whole other world out there, and Chicago is one of the BEST cities on the planet. Time to grow a little and step foot into a new frontier for yourself. You will meet amazing new people and you will grow and prosper. (This is not a message from the Chicago Convention and Visitors Bureau, lol)

Make SURE you live in the city too. There are numerous, thriving, walkable, retail filled neighborhoods in the city well served by mass transit. Real estate is significantly more expensive than in Michigan, but it's worth it.

And if you end up not liking it, you can always move back, nothing is ever etched in stone.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't do it. I like it here, everything and everyone I know is here, and that's worth more to me than 7k a year. That's my view based on my priorities.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

anecdotally, mass transit is like our CBD... OK during business hours, but scary after five.

Absolutely incorrect. You clearly know very little about that.

Besides, he said suburbs, so I doubt the CTA is much of a concern to him.

(Message edited by focusonthed on October 25, 2007)

Exwarrendaler
Username: Exwarrendaler

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother just moved to the burbs and seems to like it. I have not had an opprotunity to visit yet. Says the trains into Chicago are easy to use.
Cost of living is a little higher, but pay for the area is also better compared to what is available here in southeaster mi.

Deandub11

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait Milwaukee, interesting may not be the best choice of words there. Prosperous and thriving, yes. Interesting no. I live there now and it's pretty whitebread. Architecture is nice, but I wouldnt say anything is that distinctive. You could take a picture at any corner and you wouldnt know the difference between that corner and a corner in any other non descript city. If you call an irish pub and a sports bar on every corner interesting than maybe this is the place for you. To be frank, its boring. I'll wait for the attacks, but I'm not the only one who agrees with my sentiment I wouldn't think. I usually describe Chicago like a date with a girl that isn't horrible by any means, but there wasnt much spark. She is nice. Good Midwestern values which I love. But I digress, he wasnt asking about the city anyway. I apologize. Caveat...Wicker Park is a great place and was very cool 5-8 years ago. It still has its fair share of hipsters, but it is getting a little mainstream as well.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll chime in as well. I moved here last July and I love it. That being said, keep a few things in mind:

Living in the city is more expensive-
There are so many sales taxes receipts are coded to let you know who you're paying: Cook County, IL, or Chicago.
Looking out my South Loop window, gas is $3.13.

Car vs no car:
I don't have a car. I work in West Suburban DuPage county, and take the commuter rail to work each day. The distance between the station and work is about 1.5 miles, which will become a pain in a few more weeks. Reverse commuting puts me in the burbs when bus routes aren't running there. If I had a car, parking it in my building would be $150, and the 25 miles would take about an hour driving. I walk instead.

Without a car, live near a train line. Meaning within a few blocks if you can. Bonus pts if multiple lines stop there.

Traffic here can be worse than anything I've ever seen in Michigan.

Btw, only the red (s. of loop) and green lines are sketchy late at night, imo.

Housing:
I don't know who's buying these condos, but the sky near me is filled with cranes. I wouldn't expect many deals buying in the city, around $200k seems likely for a 1br condo.

Burbs:
Focus is correct, they're quite similar with the exception of the train stations which allow greater density nearby.

So, there are quite a few things to keep in mind before making the move. As a single 23 year old, I'm having a great time. At 30, I may have made a different decision.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10596
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also I don't have any kids and I'm not married this is strictly business. I just turned 30 and I wanted to try something new but now that it has come its scarry! Help!

Sounds like a perfect time and opportunity to try somewhere different. Your family will only be a few hours away. Take the opportunity to try something new before you have your own family. It is probably easier to move back and find a job around here than regret having never given a different location a shot.

I'd prefer young people stay around here but regret can be a bitch. Something to consider.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you move, you have to keep posting on the board so we can hear your progress. We can all move to Chicago vicariously and see what it's like.

Deandub11

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm moving back to Detroit, so you can take my place in Chicago Johnnylodge.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm moving back to Detroit, so you can take my place in Chicago Johnnylodge."

^^^That's the best post I could hear in a thread.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can all move to Chicago vicariously and see what it's like.

It's like New York but only half as good.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My advice would be, live in the city of Chicago and commute to the burbs. Only if it's less than a hour.

The city is better than Detroit (for now) or I should say different.

But it the burbs are the same......boring!,<313>

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 507
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Grand in Chicago is a pay DECREASE!
Your choice. Enjoy the traffic wind and high prices.
They do have some good party spots though and a train to take you there.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Rose, a mile and a half from station to work is a drive.

or another train ride.

guess you can't have it all.....

unless you live in NYC! :-)

<313>

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that we have lost Aholloway. Maybe he/she left already! Yikes! LOL.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go for it. I loved chicago when I lived there. One of the few cities I'd consider (other than Detroit) that I'd consider moving back to in a cold climate.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wouldn't expect many deals buying in the city, around $200k seems likely for a 1br condo.

That's a steal!

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I wouldn't move across the street, much less Chicago, for a $7,000 raise. Gistok and others have given you many good points to ponder.

However, if there's more to it than the raise (rapid advancement, better working conditions, chance to travel, paid higher education opportunities, company car etc), then it may be a different story.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want the job, do it!

I live in Chicago now. If there was a job I wanted badly enough in Alabama, I'd go in a second.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say go for it. Try someplace different, you might like it. City or suburb, Chicago offers something for everybody.

BTW, you said you don't live in Detroit but work in AA. Does this mean you live in Ann Arbor?

If you rent, you may not be paying much more. In fact, my $900/month 1 bedroom apartment in Ann Arbor was more expensive than many larger 1 bedroom apts in Lincoln Park I checked out last summmer...which is a far more desirable area to live in terms of transit, shopping, restaurants, etc.

Just something to consider...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny story, while we are on the Chicago subject, I was driving to my sisters there from Denver at christmas, (in my early 20's), I lost my license while skiing at copper mtn.
I turned down a one way then backed up to turn around, a chicago PD stopped me and bottom line was you're in a lot of trouble, no license, wrong way etc.
He asked me how much money I had. All i had was 20.00 a a visa card. his partner suggested they be on their way to him and so i got off lucky.
It reminded me so much of the stuff you hear on TV and hearsay, I cracked up after a beer with the sis.

My advice, live close to work, near a rail line, so you can save on the extreme car taxes and go to bars get drunk and not worry about OWI's.

Seriously 7,000 doesn't go far in Chi town.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burbs are burbs for the most part. Climate is very similar, you may not even notice any difference.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I wouldn't move across the street, much less Chicago, for a $7,000 raise.

Not everyone has a successful career as a litigator making 50 gazillion dollars a year while hob-nobbing with Detroit's elite.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm late to this topic, but agree w/ the sentiments many said: Go for it.

I just did this myself .... I'm 31 and single, no attachments, moved to Cinci this summer for a job opportunity. It was definitely scary initially, but that passed very quickly and it's great getting to experience new things and something different. Like you, my family and life was in Detroit, and my heart was as well (I'll forever love Detroit), but I don't regret it.

Besides, for each of us, Detroit is/will be only 4.5 hours away, the internet makes keeping in touch extremely easy, and going back to Michigan will forever be a possibility. Whatever choice you make, just don't make "fear of the unknown" the deciding factor.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have much to add, except to say go for it. If you've been in SE Michigan all your life, a little change can be good. Even if you decide after a year that you want to go back, it will be a good experience.

I recently moved away from Michigan to New York City, and one thing that really struck me about Michigan is that in my time there, I met very, very few people who had spent significant time living elsewhere.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Iheartdetroit, Read my posts. I was never a litigator and didn't make a "gazillion" dollars. (Close but no cigar.)

All I said is that relocation to another city , where the cost of living is much higher, wouldn't be worth it to me. Unless there were other factors in the new job besides a slight pay raise. Read my post. And, of course, lots of people move to Chicago w/o a pay raise and that's fine; there are many reasons for doing that. But to do it only for a $7,000 raise? I don't think so.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say go for it! Detroit will always be home and quite frankly, is my favorite city. However, Chicago is a totally different world. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world and has a very international dynamic. It's artsy, fashionable and easy flowing. Chicago also has hundreds of neighborhoods with people from all over the world. You could go through your entire life and not eat at every decent restaurant the city has to offer. I left my family, friends, job and the great City Detroit which IS NOT easy, but the best thing about being in Chicago is I'm only 3 1/2 hours from home. I always explain to people that I have the best of both worlds.

But a worthy piece of advice to you. If you really wanna live in a true urban and diverse setting, stay away from Wrigleyville and Lakeview and Upper Lincoln Park. Great places to visit but not to live.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.